Europa Conference League (1 Viewer)

Travs

Didn’t even know about this coming in. New third tier of european competition.

a positive move by UEFA to redress the balance in Europe, that they totally cocked up by destroying the European/UEFA/Cup-Winners-Cup format...?

or

Trying to bring in a European Super League format by the back door...?

looks like the latter to me...

Gray

I got excited then when you said 3rd teir, that you ment league 1 teams could qualify. Dunno if I'm in favour of this though. Means virtually the top 10 of the premier League will get into Europe each year. Whatever happened to earning your spot?

Travs

I think the qualifying places are skewed towards the “lesser nations” and I think the only guaranteed English place goes to the League Cup Winners.

I believe any non-champions from lower ranked nations (including Scotland and Switzerland) will no longer be eligible for the Europa League, and will be put into the Conference League.

it just seems to me the beginning of shifting the lesser nations down, to make room for more teams from the big 4 or 5 nations, leading to a European Super League.

fernandopartridge

I think the qualifying places are skewed towards the “lesser nations” and I think the only guaranteed English place goes to the League Cup Winners.

I believe any non-champions from lower ranked nations (including Scotland and Switzerland) will no longer be eligible for the Europa League, and will be put into the Conference League.

it just seems to me the beginning of shifting the lesser nations down, to make room for more teams from the big 4 or 5 nations, leading to a European Super League.

Yep, it's actually further entrenching European competition being about the Champions League. UEFA's 'commercial partners' are not interested in teams that don't have the pull of Barcelona / Liverpool / Juventus etc.

European football reflects what's happened domestically, we had 3 domestic competitions each with a decent amount of esteem which have been destroyed to serve at the altar of the one attached to massive TV deals.

covcity4life

terrible name

no issue with a 3rd cup. its to give likes of smaller nations their day in sun and for some fallen giants like benfica,marseille etc chance to win a cup

however a negative is they isnsit with this relegation from cup above, its not really super league but is to give clubs more money so that they do not break away

bar the name no real issue with it though, would have preffered straight KO but clubs demand guaranteed money in todays day and age

Terry Gibson's perm

Straight knock out would be interesting, but it would show uefa that the majority of fans have little appetite for the league of the champions league it only gets interesting when the better teams play each other later on

Users who are viewing this thread