Ernie tribute (1 Viewer)

Otis

I know this is all very sad, but one positive from these deaths (if there can at all be one) is that for many ex footballers who played in the late 60's and then 70's onwards, there will be footage to be shown for future generations to come.

Such a shame we never got to see the likes of Clarrie Bourton in action, or Lightening etc.

There now seems to be a video record of every single game, so no-one now can just be forgotten. Nice to at least see a bit of Ernie in action.

Johnnythespider

I know this is all very sad, but one positive from these deaths (if there can at all be one) is that for many ex footballers who played in the late 60's and then 70's onwards, there will be footage to be shown for future generations to come.

Such a shame we never got to see the likes of Clarrie Bourton in action, or Lightening etc.

There now seems to be a video record of every single game, so no-one now can just be forgotten. Nice to at least see a bit of Ernie in action.
Yes, nice to see a bit of his time with other clubs also, I've only ever really known him for the "donkey kick" goal, but i think my favourite moment was seeing him have a joke with George Best.

Otis

Yes, nice to see a bit of his time with other clubs also, I've only ever really known him for the "donkey kick" goal, but i think my favourite moment was seeing him have a joke with George Best.
Three memories of Ernie Hunt.

1. The donkey kick.

2. A ball going up into the sky and coming down with ice on it and him trapping the ball stone dead. Literally not a fraction of movement. Stone dead.

3. Chipping Mellor (Burnley keeper) from the half way line. Has to be one of the greatest City goals ever.

Grendel

Why was he called Ernie out of interest?

Calista

Why was he called Ernie out of interest?
Jim Brown's article says "Born in war-time Swindon, the son of Swindon speedway rider Ernie Hunt, he was christened Roger Patrick. However growing up he was known as 'Little Ernie' and the name stuck although some say he adopted the name Ernie to avoid confusion with the legendary Liverpool striker with the same name."
Remembering Ernie Hunt, the former Sky Blue entertainer

What a unique talent, wonderful entertainer and likeable character he was.

Johnnythespider

Jim Brown's article says "Born in war-time Swindon, the son of Swindon speedway rider Ernie Hunt, he was christened Roger Patrick. However growing up he was known as 'Little Ernie' and the name stuck although some say he adopted the name Ernie to avoid confusion with the legendary Liverpool striker with the same name."
Remembering Ernie Hunt, the former Sky Blue entertainer

What a unique talent, wonderful entertainer and likeable character he was.
So he wasn't a milkman then

Irish Sky Blue

Three memories of Ernie Hunt.

1. The donkey kick.

2. A ball going up into the sky and coming down with ice on it and him trapping the ball stone dead. Literally not a fraction of movement. Stone dead.

3. Chipping Mellor (Burnley keeper) from the half way line. Has to be one of the greatest City goals ever.
My favourite ever goal but I think it was Tony Waiters in goal for Burnley (Before Mellor’s time).

Otis

My favourite ever goal but I think it was Tony Waiters in goal for Burnley (Before Mellor’s time).
Before Mellor's time?

I had it in mind it was around 70-72 and Mellor was the goalkeeper then.

Mellor was 69-72 at Burnley and I do remember having to go up with my dad and not being allowed on my own in the late 60's and I definitely went on my own to the Burnley match when Ernie Hunt scored from the half way line.

Last edited:

Otis

Mind, I also had it in my head that we won 1-0, but looking back at the results that couldn't have been the score.

Otis

After some investigating, I think it had to be Mellor. Hunt didn't come to us until March 1968, so it has to be either 69, 70, or 71, though Waiters was at Burnley at the same time as Mellor.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Like you say Otis shame no footage of older players around, I can vouch for seeing Lightening stood behind the goals and he was worth the entrance money many a time just to see his antics . I also used to love watching Jimmy Greaves making goals out of the slightest mistake by a defender.

SkyBlueSid

The Burnley keeper that Ernie chipped from 40+ yards was indeed Tony Waiters. It was the game on 17th April 1971 which City won 3-0. He also scored the 3rd goal in that game, which was 1-0 until very late in the game. Four days earlier Ernie had scored both goals in a 2-1 win over Manchester United.

Users who are viewing this thread