Eric Black on the Shortlist? (2 Viewers)

Paxman II

When did Eric Black manage a football club?

be careful what you wish for. As assistant most recently to Steve Bruce at various clubs he has failed to make a mark with him.

cloughie

If Black is this the greatest thing since sliced bread then why isn't he managing a decent team after all these years ?

cloughie

He's been waiting for this opportunity to come up? Oh hang on, he's had countless chances before now to take up the chance!

I would like to see him back, but can NEVER see it happening. Not ever!

Yes on average about once a year............... he's obviuosly not good with application forms

Last edited:

spit

I would think his experience with us put him off, but he may feel there is a point to prove. Who knows?

Black6Osprey

Not true. He had a distinguished record, albeit it in fewer games.

He'd earned the points capital to have a lean spell. The record for the last seven games was W2 D1 L4. Even in the leanest part of his tenure he could claim a point a game with a +1 goal difference. And considering that his final game saw us spank Gillingham 5-2 away from home, it seems wrong to say the bubble had burst. Perhaps in need of some refinement.

If you win half your games it is good enough for seventh or eighth place, which really would have been something with the squad he had.

Its funny how his record for the last 8 games was W2 D1 L5 but you missed off the defeat to make him look better.

Look, Black did okay and his record of W12 D4 L10 is respectable. If he could have maintained that level throughout a whole season,which is doubtful as his last 8 games showed, he could have managed about 8th place, so about as good as Micky Adams.

Colonel Mustard

If Black is this the greatest thing since sliced bread then why isn't he managing a decent team after all these years ?

A wild re-positioning of the argument. Nobody is saying he is "the greatest thing since sliced bread", but it is unquestionable that he was one of the most effective managers we've had since relegation. What good reason is there not to welcome such a person back?

As for his lack of managerial posts, he seemed to prefer the security of the Steve Bruce gravy train, especially considering as he didn't have to initially uproot from the midlands. Nothing wrong with that.

Colonel Mustard

Its funny how his record for the last 8 games was W2 D1 L5 but you missed off the defeat to make him look better.

No I didn't. I was responding to your post which said 'W1 D1 L5', which adds up to seven games. I posted the correct results for the last seven games, which were W2 D1 L4.

cloughie

A wild re-positioning of the argument. Nobody is saying he is "the greatest thing since sliced bread", but it is unquestionable that he was one of the most effective managers we've had since relegation. What good reason is there not to welcome such a person back?

As for his lack of managerial posts, he seemed to prefer the security of the Steve Bruce gravy train, especially considering as he didn't have to initially uproot from the midlands. Nothing wrong with that.

So if thats the case he obviously lacks ambition and / or confidence in ihis own ability. we don't need that type of person we need a real leader more than ever

Colonel Mustard

So if thats the case he obviously lacks ambition and / or confidence in ihis own ability. we don't need that type of person we need a real leader more than ever

Intangibles. I'm not sure why you'd choose intangibles over an actual record at the club that is better than most.

Black6Osprey

No I didn't. I was responding to your post which said 'W1 D1 L5', which adds up to seven games. I posted the correct results for the last seven games, which were W2 D1 L4.

Yes but I also stated that he then won his next 2 games. I was over generous as you rightly pointed out, he was not in charge for the last game of the season and so actually only won 1 more game.

Colonel Mustard

Yes but I also stated that he then won his next 2 games. I was over generous as you rightly pointed out, he was not in charge for the last game of the season and so actually only won 1 more game.

Either way, I just don't think it matters. There is no need to cook Black's statistics because (1) there were only 20-odd games and (2) they speak very well for themselves. What I'd say to any charges of a lean period is that Black had a very average squad to work with, and his intent for goals and wins meant that the point accumulation could carry any rough periods.

Incidentally, that's why I would snort at chants of "we are undefeated" after three or four games this season - it means nothing if you're not collecting wins.

cloughie

Intangibles. I'm not sure why you'd choose intangibles over an actual record at the club that is better than most.

we need an out and out winner and if he is content to sit behind another manager for so many years, that tells me he is not that man

Grendel

we need an out and out winner and if he is content to sit behind another manager for so many years, that tells me he is not that man

That didn't apply though when the last manager had showed zero interest in the role more than a decade after he retired? ;)

ajsccfc

I've heard a saying that once you've hired Eric Black you should never go back. I think it was about football management, a lot of it was rendered illegible on that cubicle wall.

cloughie

That didn't apply though when the last manager had showed zero interest in the role more than a decade after he retired? ;)

maybe without any experience he couldn't get a managers job
yet Black has a decent record over a short period . surely he could have got a managers job IF he was up for it

torchomatic

There's a reason why John Cleese never made anymore Fawlty Towers.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I'd love to see Eric Black come back as manager personally, people are turning their noses up at the idea like we've got Harry Redknapp and Jose Mourinho knocking on the door. Colonel Mustard makes a lot of valid points :D

Users who are viewing this thread