Eric Black on the Shortlist? (1 Viewer)

CovFan

http://www.football365.com/news/20776/8069544/-?

F365 seem to think so, thoughts?

torchomatic

Nostalgia doesn't win football matches.

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe Staunton's his Scout? The plot thickens..

wolfie

http://www.football365.com/news/20776/8069544/-?<br />
<br />
<br />
F365 seem to think so, thoughts?
<br />
<br />
Out of everyone the club has sacked, I always thought Eric was the biggest mistake. Personally I would love to him back

Gray

don't think that is the shortlist...Fisher said there were some young managers who have not yet had a club on it

sky blue john

If Andy Thorn had left at the end of the season 2010/11 season after keeping us up, it would be the Eric Black scenario all over again.
Eric Black could have flopped in his second season, who knows !!

Grendel

If Andy Thorn had left at the end of the season 2010/11 season after keeping us up, it would be the Eric Black scenario all over again.

He didn't so the point is?

skybluejack10

dennis wise favourite for me
then billy davies
then richard money

but if that's the shortlist, surely wilder would be on it as he's been hot favourite practically the whole time?

Diehard Si

Totally right.

I'm not convinced Black would be right. Just because he hadn't had long enough to fuck it up, people think he would have been great.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Black managed us for 26 games and won 46% of them, nearly 3 times a long as Thorns end of season games

Although I agree you never know if it will work out but I wouldn't be disappointed with him as manager

ajsccfc

I don't think the regret over Eric Black is so much that he would have definitely been great, it's that he was unfairly deprived of the chance for us to find out.

The Reverend Skyblue

I would love it if Eric came back, at least we'd see attacking football with some intent to score goals.
This negative football and these spineless players need sorting out. We might even score more than 2 goals in a game, can you imagine it !!!!

The Rev

SkyBlue_Bear83

Lets put it like this
In 26 games Eric Black won 12
In 60 games Thorn won 13

So even if he did fuck up, he would most likely still have better record

Colonel Mustard

It is bananas to look at it that way. What next, thanking our lucky stars that Jimmy Hill didn't continue as manager after 66-67 because he might have flopped?

Colonel Mustard

Think the expectation put upon him would be very high.

To be fair, expectations would be high for any new manager in any new job. In Black's case, it wouldn't matter whether he walked into the Coventry or Inverness dressing room - the fans would expect better than what they had seen before. Any manager worth their salt wouldn't be afraid of the challenge...hell, I'm sure all the best managers have exactly that kind of swagger.

Otis

We did bang in 4, 5 and 6 goals though under him and some people still have on the rose-tinted spectacles.

spit

The expectation will be high for ANY manager, unless we get Staunton. If he does get the job and fails, then at least the question will finally be put to bed, but what if he picks up where he left off? He will become god-like.

I don't think his tenure was a fluke - I remember before the rumours of Monkeyheed came in, I was more optimistic for the following season than I have ever been as a sky blues fan. I really think he would have taken us up, if McG&T hadn't have done yet another almighty cockup.

Colonel Mustard

We did bang in 4, 5 and 6 goals though under him and some people still have on the rose-tinted spectacles.

We'd also lose by similar margins now and again. I don't think fans would be upset at a 1-0 win instead of a 5-0 win. Any high expectations could have a positive effect, too - the crowd and atmosphere would be better off for it.

Black6Osprey

Eric Black was as hit and miss as the rest. We attacked and scored goals so everyone was happy but towards the back end of the season he went on a run of W 1 D 1 L 5. The bubble had burst so to speak. Even though he won his last 2 games I think he was always going to lose as many as he won which was never going to get us up. Okay compare that to now and it seems like nirvana but times change.

Colonel Mustard

At the time the defence wasn't as solid as it could have been, but who knows who he'd have brought in between seasons? He never got a chance to plug the gaps.

Sure. I'm not aiming criticism against him because of those scorelines, just emphasising that the City fanbase wouldn't expect 5-0 wins every week.

CUS Wyken

Sure. I'm not aiming criticism against him because of those scorelines, just emphasising that the City fanbase wouldn't expect 5-0 wins every week.

I will say one thing.

I remember been at the Colchester replay game in the cup. We lost 3-0. He was in charge that night I think. everything certainly weren't great under him but you were guaranteed open games. That night Staunton told me to fuck off the idiot. Deffo dont want him here and not long after that he stuck his two's up at Cov fans when we played QPR away

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I will say one thing.

I remember been at the Colchester replay game in the cup. We lost 3-0. He was in charge that night I think. everything certainly weren't great under him but you were guaranteed open games. That night Staunton told me to feck off the idiot. Deffo dont want him here and not long after that he stuck his two's up at Cov fans when we played QPR away

Bet Kilbane wants Staunton as gaffer then knowing this :) both could abuse fans together!

Colonel Mustard

Eric Black was as hit and miss as the rest.

Not true. He had a distinguished record, albeit it in fewer games.

We attacked and scored goals so everyone was happy but towards the back end of the season he went on a run of W 1 D 1 L 5. The bubble had burst so to speak. Even though he won his last 2 games

He'd earned the points capital to have a lean spell. The record for the last seven games was W2 D1 L4. Even in the leanest part of his tenure he could claim a point a game with a +1 goal difference. And considering that his final game saw us spank Gillingham 5-2 away from home, it seems wrong to say the bubble had burst. Perhaps in need of some refinement.

I think he was always going to lose as many as he won which was never going to get us up. Okay compare that to now and it seems like nirvana but times change.

If you win half your games it is good enough for seventh or eighth place, which really would have been something with the squad he had.

Users who are viewing this thread