England WC 2022 (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

To try and keep my mind off the stadium bollocks I've been trying to guess who Gareth will put on the plane. Not necessarily who I'd like to go but the ones I think are set in stone. So far I have:

1. Pickford
  2. Pope
  3. Ramsdale
  4. Maguire
  5. Stones
  6. White
  7. Shaw
  8. Walker
  9. Chilwell
  10. Trent AA
  11. Triper
  12. Bellingham
  13. Henderson
  14. Rice
  15. Mount
  16. Foden
  17. Saka
  18. Sterling
  19. Grealish
  20. Kane
  21. ?
  22. ?
  23. ?

Have I missed anyone obvious?

I have doubts over Henderson and Maguire but feel GS is loyal and to be fair the depth isn't there.

Could still see him leaving Trent at home if he feels Walker and Triper are enough.

I have a feeling Rashford has played himself back in. Wouldn't mind on current form, can play center and wing.

Would love Wilson to go. Natural finisher

Madison doesn't stand a chance for me. Exactly what we are lacking but I think he burnt bridges early on and won't get a chance until there are friendlies

Very worried about the defence. Can't think of many options over Dier, Coady and Tomori.

Alkhen

Oh just read that teams can take 26 man squads with a 23 man match day squad to be chose each match. May give more scope for a few wildcards and interesting picks

Brighton Sky Blue

To try and keep my mind off the stadium bollocks I've been trying to guess who Gareth will put on the plane. Not necessarily who I'd like to go but the ones I think are set in stone. So far I have:

1. Pickford
  2. Pope
  3. Ramsdale
  4. Maguire
  5. Stones
  6. White
  7. Shaw
  8. Walker
  9. Chilwell
  10. Trent AA
  11. Triper
  12. Bellingham
  13. Henderson
  14. Rice
  15. Mount
  16. Foden
  17. Saka
  18. Sterling
  19. Grealish
  20. Kane
  21. ?
  22. ?
  23. ?

Have I missed anyone obvious?

I have doubts over Henderson and Maguire but feel GS is loyal and to be fair the depth isn't there.

Could still see him leaving Trent at home if he feels Walker and Triper are enough.

I have a feeling Rashford has played himself back in. Wouldn't mind on current form, can play center and wing.

Would love Wilson to go. Natural finisher

Madison doesn't stand a chance for me. Exactly what we are lacking but I think he burnt bridges early on and won't get a chance until there are friendlies

Very worried about the defence. Can't think of many options over Dier, Coady and Tomori.

Ben White was a CB in a previous life I think

Liquid Gold

Taking bets on how quickly the Southgate outs posts start.

I’m going for the day before our first game when the lineup is leaked.

rob9872

Walker still injured I think and unlikely to make it. Not long ago we had top many options there, with him and James injured and Trent out of form, it's suddenly become an issue. Tripper been filling in on the left occasionally may get the nod.

Harry_Walker

Squad sizes have been increased for4 this world cup so you can now take 26

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope
TAA, Walker, Trippier, Chilwell, Shaw, Tomori, Stones, Maguire, Dier. White (only if Walker is injured)
Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Maddison, Phillips, Saka, Foden, Sancho, Sterling
Rashford, Kane, Toney, Abraham, Wilson

Think this is probably very close to what it'll be but I'd guess Grealish over Wilson unfortunately

Alkhen

Walker still injured I think and unlikely to make it. Not long ago we had top many options there, with him and James injured and Trent out of form, it's suddenly become an issue. Tripper been filling in on the left occasionally may get the nod.

Oh I head him on the radio a few days back, he seemed fairly confident he'll make it. Could be wrong but yeah we have gone from loads of options to bare bones

Alkhen

Chilwell looks to be out now. So short of quality at the back.

Seems the way. Back in the mid-late 90s to 00s we were stacked for CBs and but couldn't muster a proper left sided attacker now we have plenty of options up top but are struggling at the back.

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

Certainly looking a bit thin in defence.

Whoever would have thought having a tournament slap bang in the middle of a season would mean some key players could miss it because of injury..... 🙄

Nuskyblue

I think we can scrape through with a robust back 4. Let the front 6 go forward and do bits...

Or let youthful unknown qtys run riot from lwb/rwb

We also still have trent who has been the premier rb for the last 3 to 4 years. He could do a job.

Bugsy

Maddison is a must for the squad at the very least

Alkhen

Southgate just doesn’t fancy him, unfortunately
He's done about everything he can, problem is I think Southgate has already made up his mind that he doesn't fit into his plans.

Yep hate to say it but I think he is too much of a flash personality for Southgate. Didn't he also get seen out on the lash after dropping out of an England squad or something. Sure there was some minor scandal

Last edited:

alexccfc99

I’ve no real love for Maddison and no idea why our fans adore him, good player yes - But didn’t like his attitude after he got his move to Norwich and he downed tools completely for me

But he’s making it almost impossible for Southgate to not take him

skyblue1991

James Maddison is 5/6 to make the England squad on SkyBet

Is this printing money? He has to make it surely!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

SBT

Surely there's room for one wild card in the squad, even if you don't believe he's right for your 'system'. If Theo Walcott could make the 2006 WC squad then there has to be room for Maddison.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'll be beyond annoyed if Maddison isn't picked.

Lampard banging on about how DCL should be going. If someone like he does and Maddison doesn't it'll be laughable.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'll be beyond annoyed if Maddison isn't picked.

Lampard banging on about how DCL should be going. If someone like he does and Maddison doesn't it'll be laughable.

Southgate will probably take him as a defensive asset for set pieces. Don't forget we got spanked by Hungary because we 'picked too many attacking players'

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yep hate to say it but I think he is too much of a flash personality for Southgate. Didn't he also get seen out on the lash after dropping out of an England squad or something. Sure there was some minor scandal
Didn’t hinder Phil Foden when he was caught bringing birds back to his hotel during covid

Mr Panda

I think given squad sizes are up to 26 for this tournament, it allows you to pick a couple of wildcards so for that reason you just have to select Maddison - he's producing every game at the minute and whether or not he fits Southgate's ideals of a system player he's someone you could at least bet on producing some kind of creativity when it's needed - something I think we lack with our current crop of attacking midfielders.

Sterling's form is a worry but I imagine he'll be starting alongside Kane regardless. Worried someone like Phillips will sneak in despite not playing this season but I assume he'll be there as we're light in the middle - though I'd prefer Ward-Prowse even though Southampton are struggling.

Starting line up I imagine will be:

Pickford
Trippier Dier Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Foden Sterling
Kane

Short at left back so I'd go for someone like James Justin to deputise for Luke Shaw. Right footed which isn't my preference but is consistently playing for Leicester and is a good player.

My preferred rest of squad:

GK: Pope, Ramsdale
DEF: Walker, James, White, Coady, Alexander-Arnold, Justin
MID: Mount, Maddison, Grealish, Ward-Prowse, Henderson, Saka
FW: Wilson,

Bounce Back

Gareth’s starting 11 if fit:

Pickford
James Walker Maguire Stones Trippier
Rice Phillips
Mount Kane Sterling

My starting 11:

Ramsdale
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Sterling Foden Grealish
Kane

We had a perfect chance to blood Tomori at the San Siro when Maguire was out of form. I would be worried about dropping him in now.

Maddison would definitely be in the squad and could easily start. Sterling doesn’t really deserve to start however we lack pace and the alternatives are poor.

Bugsy

Gareth’s starting 11 if fit:

Pickford
James Walker Maguire Stones Trippier
Rice Phillips
Mount Kane Sterling

My starting 11:

Ramsdale
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Sterling Foden Grealish
Kane

We had a perfect chance to blood Tomori at the San Siro when Maguire was out of form. I would be worried about dropping him in now.

Maddison would definitely be in the squad and could easily start. Sterling doesn’t really deserve to start however we lack pace and the alternatives are poor.

I agree with this but swap Maguire for White, Sterling for Saka and Grealish for Maddsion for me.

think Tripper on current form should be in aswell

Bugsy

White is playing right back for Arsenal, Saka is shite, Trippier, if played on the right, I’d have no complaints

true about White but can play central and is better than Maguire on form, Saka isn't shite and currently in good form and better than Sterling at present.

Edit: or i'll be tempted to give Burn ago at centre back

Last edited:

Otis

true about White but can play central and is better than Maguire on form, Saka isn't shite and currently in good form and better than Sterling at present.

Edit: or i'll be tempted to give Burn ago at centre back
Yup. I disagree on Saka too. I would definitely play Saka over Sterling at the moment.

Sbarcher

Name my England squad........ Losers

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This will be another tournament where Sterling will be an un-droppable feature, but doesn't deserve it. He will have to do something special this tournament cause I genuinely think we will bloom going forwards without him. Massive disappointment for England really.

Kane, Maddison, and Trippier are three players that should be starting in my view. Prepare to feel let down!

Users who are viewing this thread