England v Denmark (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Their over rated mate surrounded by good players at club level who help them look better than they actually are
That let's Southgate off the hook, he's definitely not getting the best of this lot

Liquid Gold

His system is all wrong. It's like the Lampard Gerrard thing all over again. If you decide that your best player is a right wing back then you can't have 3 up front as it crowds the wings and you lose the battle in the middle and don't have the runners to break teams down. If you decide that your best players are wingers/inside forwards then you need a flat back 4 that are all strong defensively and a number 10 in the team to link the thing together.

Bugsy

We will get spanked by the belgians if we play like we have in those 2 games

Liquid Gold

Lets just be grateful the Euros were moved. He's not getting sacked so we better hope he comes up with a workable solution. There is serious talent in this side.

Evo1883

Lets just be grateful the Euros were moved. He's not getting sacked so we better hope he comes up with a workable solution. There is serious talent in this side.

I see it as a waste of time, I hate the idea of allowing somebody out of their depth taking a squad like this to another tournament... Drives me mad

Evo1883

I wonder if pochettino would take the gig lol, imagine an argie managing England... Be something

Otis

At least we have got two clean sheets from our exploits, which is more than can be said for Greenwood and Foden.

Travs

We constantly slate the managers... Capello, Eriksson etc, were the very best available at the time. Did they suddenly become "shit" when they took the England job?

Or do we keep get fooled into believing the media hype that we have the best young players in the world.

We were fortunate in the WC.... The width of a post from looking like going out to Colombia on pens... Then Southgate would have been sacked.... It actually helped that we got to the semis as it gave Southgate some credit and with a little bit of continuity we have done fairly well since.

But now a couple of poor performances and everyone is at the manager again.

Evo1883

We constantly slate the managers... Capello, Eriksson etc, we're the very best available at the time. Did they suddenly become "shit" when they took the England job?

Or do we keep get fooled into believing the media hype that we have the best young players in the world.

We were fortunate in the WC.... The width of a post from looking like going out to Colombia on pens... Then Southgate would have been sacked.... It actually helped that we got to the semis as it gave Southgate some credit and with a little bit of continuity we have done fairly well since.

To be fair Southgate was never a good manager...

David O'Day

We constantly slate the managers... Capello, Eriksson etc, were the very best available at the time. Did they suddenly become "shit" when they took the England job?

Barring Spain away he's been woeful and was basically just a lucky stopgap manager.

Evo1883

If Southgate lost his job, no top side anywhere would want him, he's awful

CJ_covblaze

Not our best performance to say the least. Was never going to be easy given who was in the team. A lot of debuts over these last two games. Got to say I think I’ve seen enough of Rice. Dier I get. Rice I don’t.

Travs

I'm not saying that Southgate is a genius. I'm just saying that (as usual) we massively overrate the ability of our players on the world stage.

Liquid Gold

This is the system we're playing, it's never going to work

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 22.17.55.png

If you want wingers you play like this

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 22.19.58.png

If you want wing backs you play like this (Don't tell anybody about the box, that's ours)

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 22.21.23.png

This isn't about having great players, Croatia made the World Cup final with a couple off really good players and some hard workers. This is about basic systematics when breaking down a deep lying opponent. It's frustrating because we seem to go through the same thing all the time.

Liquid Gold

I'm not saying that Southgate is a genius. I'm just saying that (as usual) we massively overrate the ability of our players on the world stage.
Dortmund use Sancho effectively and just paid £25m for an English kid that has only played in the championship. The European champions were desperate to sign Hudson-Odoi, Pep said Foden was "the most talented player" he'd ever seen. We've historically massively overacted our talent but the FA and clubs actually invested in academy football and the players are now coming through. We've won youth world cups and the Toulon Tournament in recent years.

We need to just do simple things like not putting 7 behind the ball when playing teams happy for a point.

Evo1883

Dortmund use Sancho effectively and just paid £25m for an English kid that has only played in the championship. The European champions were desperate to sign Hudson-Odoi, Pep said Foden was "the most talented player" he'd ever seen. We've historically massively overacted our talent but the FA and clubs actually invested in academy football and the players are now coming through. We've won youth world cups and the Toulon Tournament in recent years.

We need to just do simple things like not putting 7 behind the ball when playing teams happy for a point.
This

Frostie

It was barely even proper wing-backs tonight, more a flat back 5 with 2 holding players in front of them - so negative.

Kane, Sterling & Sancho are a front 3 many nations would envy but it was expecting them to create something from nothing tonight while the other 7 just defend. Shocking.

Everything about these 2 games from the initial squad selection to the turgid performances smacks of a guy who's lost his way.

Picks a squad containing 3 Right Backs, no Left Backs...

Plays a back 3 & wing backs (supposedly) but with no centre back or wing back who's remotely comfortable on their left side.

Just heard him bemoaning the lack of left sided players so why not give Saka a chance at LWB & O'Connell as a LCB if you want to play that system?

He appears to be making it up as he goes along... initially he didn't even pick Coady in the squad, only added him when removing Maguire but now he starts.
Don't get me wrong, Coady was arguably the stand out tonight, his call up is long overdue & he deserves to be there but why were Keane & Mings ahead of him initially when squad was announced?

Last edited:

no_loyalty

I have just watched the 10 minutes of match highlights on itv, glad I didn't have to endure the whole 90 minutes. International football really is shite.

stupot07

This is the system we're playing, it's never going to work

View attachment 16850

If you want wingers you play like this

View attachment 16851

If you want wing backs you play like this (Don't tell anybody about the box, that's ours)

View attachment 16852

This isn't about having great players, Croatia made the World Cup final with a couple off really good players and some hard workers. This is about basic systematics when breaking down a deep lying opponent. It's frustrating because we seem to go through the same thing all the time.
I still have nightmares about the time when Mowbray tried and persisted with that formation before getting the chop.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

I still have nightmares about the time when Mowbray tried and persisted with that formation before getting the chop.

One of the many reasons I was anxious about going to a back 5 last year but we certainly got it right this time around. I guess not relying on Ryan Haynes to be your main creative outlet helps at least a little.

stupot07

One of the many reasons I was anxious about going to a back 5 last year but we certainly got it right this time around. I guess not relying on Ryan Haynes to be your main creative outlet helps at least a little.
If I remember rightly we had Jamie Sterry and Lewis Paige as wing backs, then Kyle Reid and Jodi Jones on the wing in the 3 up top, with absolutely no space to operate as the wingbacks were in in the way.

It worked a treat last season, but we didn't play with wingers infront if wingback.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm still a bit perplexed by the whole Kalvin Phillips thing. Never played a top flight game in any country, 24 so not like he's a hugely talented youngster, not played age groups which seems to be the way into the senior set up now regardless of progression.

Who would genuinely had picked him in the squad for these games, let alone played him.

But Southgate to me is reminiscent of Coleman's style of management. Defend so you're determined not to concede and hope for a moment of magic from a star player or a bit of luck. There's no future in this style of play and a decent team will tear us to bits playing like that.

Liquid Gold

I'm still a bit perplexed by the whole Kalvin Phillips thing. Never played a top flight game in any country, 24 so not like he's a hugely talented youngster, not played age groups which seems to be the way into the senior set up now regardless of progression.

Who would genuinely had picked him in the squad for these games, let alone played him.

But Southgate to me is reminiscent of Coleman's style of management. Defend so you're determined not to concede and hope for a moment of magic from a star player or a bit of luck. There's no future in this style of play and a decent team will tear us to bits playing like that.
I actually think it's a better team if you're accepting France, for example, are a lot better than you and you need to close down all the space, draw them on to you then release the pace of Sterling and Sancho and leave Kane high up to push the defence back and create space.

When you're playing Iceland and Denmark who are going to put a solid 4-4-2 with no space then it's never going to work. Your game plan always needs to be adjusted to your opposition but it doesn't appear that we know what our stature is and when to adjust.

Mcbean

Was torrid dross - stinks of players not playing together - not sure all the blame should go Sputhgates way

Users who are viewing this thread