Emperor's New Clothes (2 Viewers)

Esoterica

I’d like to see him behind the 2 strikers in a 3-5-2 with our new attacking wingbacks. I don’t think he’s a 2nd striker in a 4-4-2 and don’t think he would get back enough for 90 mins as a midfielder in a 4-3-3. He works hard but it tends to be in his area of the pitch, he’s not really box to box. Likewise you wouldn’t be playing to his strengths and would lose his effectiveness if played as one of a forward 3.

Kind of player that needs a team built around him, to get the best out of him, so from that perspective I can see why he has been used as an impact sub and considered a luxury. No doubting his talent as a footballer, and I like him as a player, he’s just quite … niche.

Grendel

shmmeee

Palmer will cost us even on that estimate (which is likely to be conservative) £3 million

He’s not capable of playing 90 minutes - Bristol were hawking him around to get rid of him - we were the taker

How do you figure that?

£20k/wk for season 1: £1m
£10k/wk for 2&3: £1m

Swansea are hawking Paterson around because of his attitude issues and not impacting the team for a year…

TomRad85

We are now flush with someone else’s cash so we won’t miss a trivial £400k, but we also definitely can’t afford a bit more for a more up and coming player. Also can’t make comparisons to other players-they aren’t relevant.
You've really gone off the deep end with this Paterson stuff BSB. Why is this signing bothering you so much?

As for Palmer, he's ok. Palmer and Paterson would be pretty decent behind Gyok i reckon.

rob9872

Amazing that everyone creams their pants when Hamer gets a free kick, has he ever scored one?

Brighton Sky Blue

You've really gone off the deep end with this Paterson stuff BSB. Why is this signing bothering you so much?

As for Palmer, he's ok. Palmer and Paterson would be pretty decent behind Gyok i reckon.

It doesn’t bother me, but the constant misinterpretation does wind me up a bit yes.

Grendel

How do you figure that?

£20k/wk for season 1: £1m
£10k/wk for 2&3: £1m

Swansea are hawking Paterson around because of his attitude issues and not impacting the team for a year…

he will have signing in fees and agents fees on top and again this is just marking up figures

you even yesterday said Paterson had attitude problems at Bristol - he didn’t

Grendel

Well there isn’t

It may have escaped tour attention but the club is on a downward slump in results since o hare departed. We have no one in the squad who can come in and remotely try and fill that role - Palmer included

We need a player who can make an immediate impact on results not just players for development

On paper Paterson is an option worthy of consideration

shmmeee

he will have signing in fees and agents fees on top and again this is just marking up figures

I was going from fans forum comments that he did and that he blew hot and cold a lot. The general consensus seemed to be at Bristol that he had purple patches where he was good but also disappeared when he wasn’t on form. Which the stats would support.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well there isn’t

It may have escaped tour attention but the club is on a downward slump in results since o hare departed. We have no one in the squad who can come in and remotely try and fill that role - Palmer included

We need a player who can make an immediate impact on results not just players for development

On paper Paterson is an option worthy of consideration

I’m not talking an U23, I’m talking someone in the mould of Hamer/Sheaf/Gyo/Walker. We miss McF just as much as O’Hare, as our goals against column will testify.

Grendel

I’m not talking an U23, I’m talking someone in the mould of Hamer/Sheaf/Gyo/Walker. We miss McF just as much as O’Hare, as our goals against column will testify.

It took a while for Gyokeres to get into flow and Hamer was our most expensive signing for a decade

Our goal scoring record this season is pathetic

SkyBlueMatt

I like him and I think he's doing well. Like O'Hare, he has a lot of qualities but could score a few more. Ideally we can bring in a goalscoring midfielder who doesn't have the technical ability of O'Hare or Palmer but can play along side one of them.

We have a tendency to overplay when we get in or around the box, sometimes it seems we're looking for that perfect pass.

He is a piece of the puzzle, we just need a few more pieces.

Brighton Sky Blue

It took a while for Gyokeres to get into flow and Hamer was our most expensive signing for a decade

Our goal scoring record this season is pathetic
Along with Walker and Sheaf they were all signed for low fees for this level. And all except Walker have gone on to be core parts of the team who when eventually sold will deliver a good profit for the club.

It will not have escaped your notice that the defence has gone to pot since McF’s injury.

Grendel

He does. Different thing to being lazy mind you. What we don't seem willing to do is accept those stamina issues and work with them

Well no other club has managed it and the fact he wasn’t deemed fit enough at the start of the seasons suggests he hadn’t kept himself fit or he can’t - does he work hard enough himself to address that no one knows but the likes of Stern John (who had no pace) and Huckerby (lots of pace but had to conserve energy to attack) were forwards.

Palmer is a central midfielder in a team whose ethos generally over the last 3 years is as much cover and closing down off the ball as on it. He doesn’t. That’s why Allen starts games and in a fully fit squad Palmer doesn’t. The teams success is largely built on pressing opposition winning back and moving forward. Hamer Allen and o hare have phenomenal stamina. It’s needed for how we play.

It’s a high risk signing

Grendel

Along with Walker and Sheaf they were all signed for low fees for this level. And all except Walker have gone on to be core parts of the team who when eventually sold will deliver a good profit for the club.

It will not have escaped your notice that the defence has gone to pot since McF’s injury.

I’ve no idea what we paid for Walker - accounts aren’t out. Sorry I don’t understand your rationale

Skyblueweeman

Do you know what the signing on fee and agent fee was? You cannot say he'll cost us around £3m without knowing that info.

I doubt his signing on fee and agent fee combined is close to £1m.

Grendel

It’s not a hard rationale to understand. More signings like Gyo/Hamer/Walker/Sheaf.

It’s that easy is it? We’ve had many players who’ve flopped over the years and Walker isn’t a success. I genuinely can’t understand your hang up if we are interested in him - if he makes a positive impact he’s entirely worth it. Sheaf Gyokeres and Hamer can all walk away as free agents in a years time can’t they?

Grendel

Do you know what the signing on fee and agent fee was? You cannot say he'll cost us around £3m without knowing that info.

I doubt his signing on fee and agent fee combined is close to £1m.

I also don’t know what we are paying him a week which was my point @shmmeee is just making up figures to suit his argument so I did the same

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s that easy is it? We’ve had many players who’ve flopped over the years and Walker isn’t a success. I genuinely can’t understand your hang up if we are interested in him - if he makes a positive impact he’s entirely worth it. Sheaf Gyokeres and Hamer can all walk away as free agents in a years time can’t they?

It’s not the player as much as the spent capital that won’t be recovered. And will need replacing before too long anyway.

You will complain about Palmer for a good while yet when he has cost us a ‘trivial’ sum this season. I don’t see the difference

Offhegoes

I've seen a lot of posts the past couple of days saying Palmer's been a good signing.

I'm not so sure.

What, actually, has he done? He's good on the ball, he does show commitment, but what has he done? His only league goal came when playing up front, he still struggles to join two consecutive games together despite being here half a season, and those he does play he falls off a cliff fitness wise... and all this on a huge (for us) salary.

You can see why managers take a chance as he has all the tools, but he just hasn't put them together for us yet.

Will he ever? I'm not even sure he's the right type of player for us as we are. To get the most out of him you have to let him wander, let others give him the ball, but we expect non stop work rate which, when his positioning isn't ideal, means he hurtles around trying to make tackles - should this even be his job?

This is not saying he's a failure but he does, to borrow a phrase, flatter to deceive up to this stage. I just don't see how you can call him a good signing based on what he's actually done for us to date - especially given his wages!

Lets hope he bursts into life the second half of the season
He's been a great signing. We knew, due to his lack of game time last season it would take some time to get him match fit. OK, so he has not scored a lot, but I think back to games such as Watford away, and Boro at home where he was excellent and at the heart of all our good attacking moves. Just a big shame we haven't seen him operate with O'Hare behind Vik. I thought from the reports we heard in pre-season, he would be a luxury player, but have been pleasantly surprised by his work rate and tackling. His pass to Waghorn against Wrexham (which Waghorn hit straight at the keeper) was absolutely sublime. He is clearly enjoying playing under Robins and being coached by Viveash.

shmmeee

I also don’t know what we are paying him a week which was my point @shmmeee is just making up figures to suit his argument so I did the same

We know what his wage at Bristol was, that’s not made up. And we know we took on his final year as payment. It’s a fair assumption he’ll be on what our other first team players are on. Paterson BTW was on £9k/wk at first at Swansea and threw his toys out of his pram to get more, so is likely to be on low teens at least.

shmmeee

We miss Fadz far more than O’Hare IMO. We’ve done enough to win games and thrown them away with poor defence. Swansea and Wrexham come to mind as obvious examples.

Senior Vick from Alicante

I think he is one of those players that needs to play consistently for him to get to a level. He's got the potential to be a great long term signing, he is learning the role again after being battered with Pearson's hoof ball tactics and a year of not playing. If he had a consistent run of 10 full games I think you would see more from him. As for the Patterson signing I am not fussed about him mainly due to his age and lack of game time but I trust Robins to do the right thing.

Brighton Sky Blue

We miss Fadz far more than O’Hare IMO. We’ve done enough to win games and thrown them away with poor defence. Swansea and Wrexham come to mind as obvious examples.

Scored 3 only twice this season and not won either. Must be a special prize

Users who are viewing this thread