Embarrassing things you forgot.... (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Years ago my dad drove us home from The Home Guard Club in Leamington, someone asked him to turn the radio on, and it wasn't there. Unbelievably our car keys had fitted an almost identical car and we were nearly back in Cubbington before we noticed. Returned and found the owner drinking in a club nearby (think it might have been the old Telecomms club?) Late 1970s. Our car was parked about 4 vehicles from his.
Ford, by any chance?

jimmyhillsfanclub

"We are at this level because we deserve to be"
No we don't deserve to be, not the fans, nor the club, it deserves a lot better! That just sounds like you've accepted what SISU have done to us like it was nothing!

Really?.....to me it just sounds like hes accepted the fact that we have been relegated 3 times since being in the top flight........something a few others still really struggle with.....

fernandopartridge

Really?.....to me it just sounds like hes accepted the fact that we have been relegated 3 times since being in the top flight........something a few others still really struggle with.....
Spot on. Also accepted that we were more likely to get relegated from L1 than promoteThe d. Plenty of it down to the owners but plenty down to players and management.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Spot on. Also accepted that we were more likely to get relegated from L1 than promoteThe d. Plenty of it down to the owners but plenty down to players and management.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Suspect this could get circular (and I understand the point you're trying to make!) but of course players and management is down to the owners at the end of the day, too.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah.....but other clubs have achieved promotions & success despite their shitty owners......so whilst the odds are definitely stacked.....shit owners don't always guarantee shit performance.....

Nick

Administrator
Took 37 years for us to get relegated once, took SISU less than 10 years to get us relegated twice... Seems people struggle to accept that...

They must do, they are still looking at League One tables.

Think again you have missed his point, he clearly has accepted we are in League 2.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah.....but other clubs have achieved promotions & success despite their shitty owners......so whilst the odds are definitely stacked.....shit owners don't always guarantee shit performance.....
Doesn't guarantee... but helps!

When Blackpool got up to the top flight, there were a fair few bemoaning we didn't have owners like theirs. Certainly a case of be careful what you wish for...

skybluebeduff

They must do, they are still looking at League One tables.

Think again you have missed his point, he clearly has accepted we are in League 2.

I've missed no point, this guy said we deserved to be here...

I said we don't.

He's also said it's down to players and management, who brought those managers in to get us relegated twice?

Nick

Administrator
I've missed no point, this guy said we deserved to be here...

I said we don't.

He's also said it's down to players and management, who brought those managers in to get us relegated twice?

As you reading the same thing? He said:
Plenty of it down to the owners but plenty down to players and management.

It's just you took the first part out to suit.

We have no right to be in any league based on a name / winning the FA cup in 87, sadly.

skybluebeduff

As you reading the same thing? He said:

It's just you took the first part out to suit.

We have no right to be in any league based on a name / winning the FA cup in 87, sadly.
Players and management is all down to who SISU employed to get them in, is it not? Why be an argumentative twat on every post you see?
The numpty says we deserve to be at this level, if you believe that, then you're just as much as a fruitcake than he is.
Finish this sentence off:
The club, and it's fans deserve to be a league two club because...

Nick

Administrator
The club, and it's fans deserve to be a league two club because...

It's nothing to do with fans is it and what they "deserve"? Same could be said for every team outside the prem that their hardcore fans deserve to be higher.

The club deserves to be there because we didn't get enough points last season.

Again, there is no divine right to be in a particular league because the fans say so. The same as we have no right to win a game because we are called Coventry City and the other team is called Mansfield etc.

Last edited:

Otis

It's nothing to do with fans is it and what they "deserve"? Same could be said for every team outside the prem that their hardcore fans deserve to be higher.

The club deserves to be there because we didn't get enough points last season.

Again, there is no divine right to be in a particular league because the fans say so. The same as we have no right to win a game because we are called Coventry City and the other team is called Mansfield etc.
I still can't get my head around people who were angry and outraged at losing to Forest Green and Accrington. We are League Two. They are League Two.

I think to some people, in their heads we are a Championship side. There is no shame in losing to Accrington Stanley.

Had we played them in the cup and were a couple of divisions higher, then yes, of course it's embarrassing, but we are where we are and this is akin to us being in the Premier and losing to Palace or Burnley.

We deserve to be where we are as a team because we haven't been good enough. Yep, the owners have contributed greatly, but we have also had players and managers here who have vastly underperformed and even had a manager who wasn't a manager at all.

Manchester_sky_blue

Years ago my dad drove us home from The Home Guard Club in Leamington, someone asked him to turn the radio on, and it wasn't there. Unbelievably our car keys had fitted an almost identical car and we were nearly back in Cubbington before we noticed. Returned and found the owner drinking in a club nearby (think it might have been the old Telecomms club?) Late 1970s. Our car was parked about 4 vehicles from his.

We did that in a hired Fiat on holiday in Spain in the mid 90s. We had driven to some tourist attraction or whatever and came out at the end of the day to find two absolutely identical red Fiats parked next to each other. Both from the same hire company with identical stickers in the windows. Being a hire car it didn't have anything in it as we had taken all our bags and wot not with us. We had 2 keys so my parents took a key each to see which car would open. They both did. Utterly confused, we checked both cars over and found them both completely empty so reasoned that as long as both cars ended up back at the hire company it probably didn't matter, picked a car and left.

Adge

I still can't get my head around people who were angry and outraged at losing to Forest Green and Accrington. We are League Two. They are League Two.

I think to some people, in their heads we are a Championship side. There is no shame in losing to Accrington Stanley.

Had we played them in the cup and were a couple of divisions higher, then yes, of course it's embarrassing, but we are where we are and this is akin to us being in the Premier and losing to Palace or Burnley.

We deserve to be where we are as a team because we haven't been good enough. Yep, the owners have contributed greatly, but we have also had players and managers here who have vastly underperformed and even had a manager who wasn't a manager at all.
Take the points above. But "The Managers and players have underperformed" is a bit like trying to get a leopard to change its spots. There is a number of those players who are still here and not doing it in L2. Rather than "underperforming" I would point to "not good enough".

Liquid Gold

You can argue about who's fault it is till you're blue in the face but the fact is if you don't accept the league we're in and expect us to beat these 'small' teams because we're Coventry City then you're more likely to be on the players backs and less likely to push the team on for a win.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Agreed. The team is fairly sh*te, the managers have been sh*te and the owners are the mains sewer that runs along the A444, clogged with fat balls and sanitary towels.

Users who are viewing this thread