Email extortion scams - question ? (1 Viewer)

Mcbean

Received an email asking for money - it included a word that was part of a past password for not important sites - said if i did'nt whoever would mail my contacts something incriminating - can someone really get your contacts ? record something from your webcam - i turned my camera on and you get a great shot of my face and the ceiling so not bothered ! - but that word has been used by me in the past and is not common

Have upgraded my security but any other suggestions - googled the email address and no results - the english is pretty appalling !

Any other suggestions - asking me for money is laughable

RegTheDonk

I believe there are ways to hack your webcam and get your contacts, but I would presume this is a fishing trip. Wife had one of these last year, it included an old password (presumably a data breach from one of the large banks). Ignored it as what was suggested in the email wouldn't have happened. Never had any further contact - presumably would have had some further threats if she had tugged on the line.

Low and behold, mate confided at work a few days later he'd had a similar email. Was really embarrassed and worried but told him my story and he relaxed - was probably a coincidence he was having a shandy the previous night.

Obviously can't say 100% its a scam but if they really do have something on you, would think they'd show you the evidence before passing it on...otherwise the threat of extortion is worthless.

Mcbean

I hope so - camera is taped :) it came with spam in the title - changed all passwords just in case - data breach is a worrying action

Grendel

I hope so - camera is taped :) it came with spam in the title - changed all passwords just in case - data breach is a worrying action

It’s a scam - someone has hacked a social media account password and threatens blackmail in the form of Brit coins - DO NOT reply to it even tell them to fuck off - you will get a few then they give up

Users who are viewing this thread