Ellis Simms (3 Viewers)

LastChance

We're so lucky that we've got two great attacking players capable of 20 goals a season. For years we've been crying out for just one. We then had Gyo and after losing him, we now have two. It really is such an important aspect of our season next season, Simms and Wright firing on all cylinders and staying injury free.
Just need to sort the GK/defence out for next season and we'll smash it with those 2 up front

AOM

Pretty incredible turnaround from Wright and Simms this season.
Gone from some hoping we can get rid in January to them getting standing ovations when warming up from the bench

Deity

TBF he played in pretty much every game just off the bench.
That isn’t the same as the manager making it clear he trusts you, believes in you, and allowing you to find your feet at a new club.

I think we can all see that Simms is a confidence player and a pretty low ego guy.

Hertsccfc

I look at that period as a wasted opportunity …. Robins persisted with Godden and didn’t give Ellis any run of matches …..
Simms was not ready at that time and it was killing his confidence. Besides he played in every match.

Hincha

I look at that period as a wasted opportunity …. Robins persisted with Godden and didn’t give Ellis any run of matches …

More game time doesn’t always equal quicker progress. Time on the training ground out of the limelight can be more important.

For the same reason, Biamou kept Gyok out of the team during his loan spell.

ccfcricoh

What a turn around and what a player, credit to him. Haji aswell, think last night proved we are considerably better with both of them on the pitch.
the 2 of them next season will absolutely destroy teams...powerful and quick - just got to pray for a lack of injuries

False9

Doubt he’ll get a look in for 3/4 years at least- Kane, Watkins, Toney, Solanke then even Wilson, DCL and Abraham. He’d have to be making a serious mark in the prem to challenge any of those.
They're all a fair bit older than Simms. I don't see anyone better under 23 at the moment which probably says more about England!

I'm sure someone will appear but he should definitely be in the reckoning in a couple of years if continuing to progress.

CCFCSteve

Sure some, who just didn’t want to let go of their original assessment/justify the stick they dished out to a young player, were still having a go after West Brom away (one bad game after decent run). Loved hearing his song sung after one of his runs last night, not just after a goal.

Obviously a confidence player so hoping he continues to get fans backing even during barren spells in future. If he does I’m sure we’ll be more than repaid as he’s a beast when his confidence is high

Ccfcisparks

If Simms got a quarter of the amount of goals he got in the second half of the season, in the first half of the season he would be on 25 goals now.

I'm excited to see how many he can manage next year.

Last edited:

MikeyMoo

Anyone who was banging the drum for Godden over Simms now has egg on their face. Godden poached a few goals sure but he's been a painful watch all season, an absolute passenger.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
My only commenty on this is that like all our subs, he did pretty well when he came on was ManU. Helped link play and kept us on the front foot. This is true even if all our other attacking players, including Tavares are better.

Brylowes

It's no surprise to me that a lot of Everton fans wanted to keep him and after his initial loan, it's no surprise Sunderland fans were willing their club to sign him, what I did find surprising however, was how quick many here were writing him off.

Ccfcisparks

napolimp

If we end up selling him I’d start to feel pretty disillusioned.

Why? Everyone keeps on referencing the Brentford and Brighton "models". This is what we have started doing well, and we need to keep going. We buy the right players, at the right time, for the right price, and then sell when offers come in we can't refuse. We re-invest by possibly replacing with 2+ high potential players, growing the depth of the squad, with part of the cash used to sustain the club.

The health of this squad has never been better, we may be a few players short in terms of depth but pretty much only had one loan around the first team all season.

Sick Boy

Why? Everyone keeps on referencing the Brentford and Brighton "models". This is what we have started doing well, and we need to keep going. We buy the right players, at the right time, for the right price, and then sell when offers come in we can't refuse. We re-invest by possibly replacing with 2+ high potential players, growing the depth of the squad, with part of the cash used to sustain the club.

The health of this squad has never been better, we may be a few players short in terms of depth but pretty much only had one loan around the first team all season.
It’s fine if we want to be sustainable I suppose but if we’re serious about promotion we can’t keep letting our best players go every season and then having another summer rebuilding.

napolimp

It’s fine if we want to be sustainable I suppose but if we’re serious about promotion we can’t keep letting our best players go every season and then having another summer rebuilding.

Can't argue with this, the only thing I'd say is that even if Sheaf and Simms did leave, because of the investment that has been made in the squad due to certain players being sold previously, you would only really have 2 new players in the line-up to settle in - 3 if you decide not to play Palmer. This is in stark contrast to having to replace loans and any sold players.

Users who are viewing this thread