Elliott (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

On reflection on February so far, he's started all but one game, Yeovil, can anyone say he's good enough to start ahead of talented midfielder such as Moussa? Has 1 assist this month, and his last goal was v Oldham, in my view, he doesn't warrant a starting place v Bournemouth, and neither do any of our strikers do really. I think he's at his most effective when he comes on as a sub and that's where he should be, people will argue Clarke needs a partner, but, Clarke scores regardless of formation and today, and in other games, we've seen him link up with a midfielder behind him, so it begs the question of, is he (Elliott) good enough to start, to that I'd answer, no.

He works hard, fair enough, that can only earn so much respect (over-respected by many CCFC fans) but he's a striker, and earns his money scoring goals, which he doesn't.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ah, didn't realise you'd given him his own witch-hunt thread. In which case I'll put this here:

I said his touch was poor, but that's the first game in ages where that has been the case. I'm not one of these people who think people should get in on work-rate alone-his running off the ball was better than most (although he tired, not surprisingly given his closing down, sometimes in his own area!), he hit the woodwork (why do people ignore that?) and is not as useless as you seem to think. Given that was his worst distribution for some time, there were still 5 or 6 players on the pitch who were as bad or worse than him.

I'll add that Leon looks a lot worse on his own up front and has generally only perked up when Elliott comes on. Fleck may have passing ability but is otherwise totally inappropriate for the hole behind the striker-doesn't score enough, and is just plain too slow and unfit to be considered as a starting XI option in any position! Moussa is completely out of touch and seems to have lost any vision or decision making ability he had-and has stopped taking men on. When he came on today, we did not get better. Wilson at least offered an outlet with his pace and strength.

And today wasn't about formations it was about poor performances by players!

la-ccfc

On reflection on February so far, he's started all but one game, Yeovil, can anyone say he's good enough to start ahead of talented midfielder such as Moussa? Has 1 assist this month, and his last goal was v Oldham, in my view, he doesn't warrant a starting place v Bournemouth, and neither do any of our strikers do really. I think he's at his most effective when he comes on as a sub and that's where he should be, people will argue Clarke needs a partner, but, Clarke scores regardless of formation and today, and in other games, we've seen him link up with a midfielder behind him, so it begs the question of, is he (Elliott) good enough to start, to that I'd answer, no.

He works hard, fair enough, that can only earn so much respect (over-respected by many CCFC fans) but he's a striker, and earns his money scoring goals, which he doesn't.

It's not just a question of is he good enough, if we are playing with 2 up front the question should be which strikers have we got that are better than him?

ohitsaidwalker king power

I thought Callum Wilson looked quite lively on Wednesday when he came on and showed a few glimpses yesterday that he has pace.. maybe he's an option, albeit very inexperienced....

Otis

He looked very, very raw indeed yesterday I thought.

He was lively and quick and gave the Crewe defence something to think about but he's still got an awful lot to learn.

Grendel

Elliot is on a one year deal and a new manager will not I suspect give him a new deal

Otis

Too lightweight for me.

He occasionally produces a bit of class, but he doesn't score enough and is too often a passenger in games.

I'm not convinced we will keep him either.

LJC_CCFC

Despite the goals Clarke is awful in every other way, whereas sleeves has a great first touch, can link the play and can score goals (been unlucky last two home games with hitting the woodwork) he also has set up a fair few goals since getting into the team. Also arguably our best away performance this season at MK Dons saw sleeves start up front with Moussa in the hole due to DMC being suspended (one in eight for the super striker now) and he scored twice and held his own against to beefy centre halves. Lord knows carsley won't drop Clarke because he's 'scoring goals' but his all round play is to the detriment of the team and sleeves deserves a go on his own

SkyBlue_Bear83

Elliott weren't great but Moussa was has been poor since MK Dons away.
Did you conveniently miss that Moussas only contribution yesterday was a 25 yard shot on the run that dribbled about 6 yards wide of the post?
If we decide to bring Moussa back in the side I would drop Sheff before Elliott

tanchahal

Despite the goals Clarke is awful in every other way, whereas sleeves has a great first touch, can link the play and can score goals (been unlucky last two home games with hitting the woodwork) he also has set up a fair few goals since getting into the team. Also arguably our best away performance this season at MK Dons saw sleeves start up front with Moussa in the hole due to DMC being suspended (one in eight for the super striker now) and he scored twice and held his own against to beefy centre halves. Lord knows carsley won't drop Clarke because he's 'scoring goals' but his all round play is to the detriment of the team and sleeves deserves a go on his own

Great idea, drop Clarke because he scores goals. How dare he.

rupert_bear

Elliott is not good enough but at the moment there are little other options. Tries hard and works hard but his first touch is poor and doesn't get into enough goalscoring positions. Needs replacing.

rupert_bear

What is this constant criticism of Leon Clarke all about ? He's scoring every week ffs!. Thats a centre forwards job isqn't it ?

Mucca Mad Boys

Are you crazy? Elliot was the one who nearly scored from range but hit the post.

No I'm not, I remember seeing him give the ball away at almost every opportunity, but I guess hitting the post makes up for a shite performance with some people. :whistle:

You know what I said to mate when he hit the post? "That'll make up for a shit game with some people", you took the bait.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's not just a question of is he good enough, if we are playing with 2 up front the question should be which strikers have we got that are better than him?

No, I think it's common sense that, if you don't have 2 good strikers to play, you don't play a formation that has 2 strikers in it.

LJC_CCFC

Did no one see him attempt to run with the ball then stand on it, trip and look an absolute fool. He is scoring but we are still missing endless chances which are costing us games

Mucca Mad Boys

Elliott weren't great but Moussa was has been poor since MK Dons away.
Did you conveniently miss that Moussas only contribution yesterday was a 25 yard shot on the run that dribbled about 6 yards wide of the post?
If we decide to bring Moussa back in the side I would drop Sheff before Elliott

Moussa played well v PNE (away), Elliott hasn't played well since Oldham at home, yet, some think he should start ahead of Clarke (17 goals) or think he's actually a good player. Over the course of the season, Moussa has shown he has something to offer, with 2 absolute screamers and a few assists, whereas Elliott contributes nothing, in fact, he doesn't even make Clarke look better because he does his job whatever the formation.

He has been poor due to formation choice, Moussa isn't a 4-4-2 CM, it is too restricting, he needs space as a player either in the wing, or in 'the hole'.

Mucca Mad Boys

Did no one see him attempt to run with the ball then stand on it, trip and look an absolute fool. He is scoring but we are still missing endless chances which are costing us games

Did you see 'sleeves' give the ball away at every opportunity? Have you seen every game since Oldham where he hasn't scored, and managed 1 assist?

Did you also see Clarke's goal? Top finish which he created for himself with that knock down.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Elliott hasn't played well since Oldham at home

Not true he played well against Sheffield Utd away and his sub appearance against Yeovil he played well. He was also unlucky against Crewe at home that he came up against an inspired keeper.

Anyway as my first post said Sheff has been worse than both of them and he has had more games so I would drop him before either of them

SkyBlue_Bear83

You know what I said to mate when he hit the post? "That'll make up for a shit game with some people", you took the bait.

Yet all Moussa done when he came on was drag a long shot 6 yards wide when he shouldn't have shot and yet he played alright

You're incapable of giving an unbiased opinion

Mucca Mad Boys

Yet all Moussa done when he came on was drag a long shot 6 yards wide when he shouldn't have shot and yet he played alright

You're incapable of giving an unbiased opinion

Moussa linked up with Clarke - people have said he needs Elliott to link up - and he did a decent pass to start off a move, his movement was also good, he did drag players out of position.

What do expect him to do in such a short time? I think it's criminal he played CM and Fleck LM when the 2 were on, clearly neither are capable of them positions in a 4-4-2.

Elliott was ok v Sheff U, good assist, but that's all he's done in February, v Yeovil, he was ok, v Crewe, he and Clarke were both shit and should've tucked away at least 1 of their chances. GK was good but there were some shots that were good chances but shot them straight at their GK, e.g. Cut-back from the right (Baker or Christie) Clarke shoots it straight to Phillips.

Elliott, as I've said many a time, gave the ball away about every time he got the ball v Crewe Wednesday and yesterday, no goal to show for his 'hard work' since January, if Clarke went on the same run, he'd have been sent to the guillotine by now, that's not even joking the way some fans go on! ;)

As for Moussa, he's been played in a formation that doesn't suit him and it shows, I personally would start Fleck there, see how he gets on, I'd start Thomas in CM and probably Moussa LM, said it for such a long time, if they do shit, revert back, we've got the midfielders to rotate.

For me, Elliott is at his best as an impact sub, no more, no less.

You know what, for all the 'hating' I do for 4-4-2, it wouldn't bother me if we actually had 2 strikers to play there, Elliott isn't good enough to play alongside Clarke and quite frankly, Clarke has carried that partnership, he looks a class above him.

Answer this question:

Do you think Elliott is worth starting ahead of a talented midfielder? Yes or no.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He's I'd starting to look more like ROD as the games go on, more than just his looks!

But if a headless chicken at time.

You can close down as many clearances as you like but if it doesn't end up with a goal to show for it, then as a striker you aren't really doing your job are you.

I did want him to do well when given the chance but it just doesn't seem to have worked out.

That's said, there are other players who are equally as 'headless chicken-like' in our squad

Mucca Mad Boys

He's I'd starting to look more like ROD as the games go on, more than just his looks!

But if a headless chicken at time.

You can close down as many clearances as you like but if it doesn't end up with a goal to show for it, then as a striker you aren't really doing your job are you.

I did want him to do well when given the chance but it just doesn't seem to have worked out.

That's said, there are other players who are equally as 'headless chicken-like' in our squad

Well said, does hard-work, but doesn't deliver the goods like Clarke does, Clarke in many respects is vastly underrated by some on here, you wouldn't think he's 2nd top goalscorer in the league with 17 goals if you read about I'm on here.

Sba180

What is this constant criticism of Leon Clarke all about ? He's scoring every week ffs!. Thats a centre forwards job isqn't it ?

in some peoples eye he's not mcgoldrick so he's obviously not good enough. personally i think he works hard. with the wingers failing to beat the first man when crossing, what chance does the man have?

Sutty

Hold on, you're contradicting yourself here.

It's already been established on here that Clarke's shots to goals ratio for us is better than McGoldrick's was. In one post you say Clarke is detrimental to our play, then you talk of us missing loads of chances.

If we're creating loads of chances, then Clarke can't be detrimental to us surely? And if Clarke is taking his chances at a good rate, then it's others that are missing these chances is it not? I really don't understand why Clarke gets so much stick.

Speng

He is our best player by a mile , he has 17 goals , he is doing his job most games , it's our shite defence that isn't

LJC_CCFC

He is our best player by a mile , he has 17 goals , he is doing his job most games , it's our shite defence that isn't

Against Crewe (JPT), Yeovil and Crewe (yday) failing to convert our chances stopped us from winning and nothing else. We need someone in on loan, also I don't think the pitch is helping our passing game but obviously we can't do fook about that

deanocity3

he puts the ball in the net i grant you,but misses too many.his starting position for crosses is poor too,he is always at the far post,meaning the two centre half need to miss the ball for clarke to get it,cause he won't run towards it.but when he does he scores,he should do it everytime.and not physical enough

ohitsaidwalker king power

he puts the ball in the net i grant you,but misses too many.his starting position for crosses is poor too,he is always at the far post,meaning the two centre half need to miss the ball for clarke to get it,cause he won't run towards it.but when he does he scores,he should do it everytime.and not physical enough

I must admit - fan of Clarke's record as I am.. I was frustrated yesterday with the way he always pulled to the back post.. no variation in his run.. and yet on Wednesday he was really varied in his running, short, long, near, far down the channel.. maybe he was just knackered?

He's instigated and stared in some very good attacking moves, but no, he isnt a goal scorer atm. I think we should give Callum Wilson a start. He was our best player when he came on yesterday, fought for every ball, never gave up, pure dedication. I know he's just a kid and he's coming back from injury, but i think he could really help the side. Leon is our form man and Elliott isnt scoring, so why not. Moussa was sh*t yesterday, so was bailey, so i say it should be murphy, cyrus, malaga, edje, dicko, baker, sheffers, fleck, jenno, wilson, clarke

Users who are viewing this thread