EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (2 Viewers)

Flying Fokker

Easy as that ‘who knew.

TIC. I think the debate idea may be a goer, Each supporter forum to meet at a neutral venue....The Ricoh Arena.

Members meet (Social distancing) and agree who will represent the team. Each speaker is given 8 weeks to come up with a sensible solution that favours those in the league position on merit, deserve it, are not scum, play attractive football, have fantastic owners, short term memory
In addition it looks likely that the EFL are looking for the clubs to vote for ending the season to cover their arse from clubs that fancy suing.

So they should. Any legal action could be compounded by additional loss of revenue.

fernandopartridge

Ok somebody try to reassure me please.

1) both options seem to contain extra games - either to finish the season for everyone (that’s 200 matches) or a behind closed doors play off system. Even the latter doesn’t look remotely feasible to me.
2) even if the EFL decide on ending the season with promotion and relegation, isn’t that contingent on the EPL allowing promotion into and relegation from the Premier League. Now if it’s complicated and a legal mine-field in League One that will be a walk in the park compared to the prospect for litigation in the top-flight.

I’ve a bad feeling that null and void (or at least no promotion or relegation) could still be the only option left after the EFL and EPL fail to agree a way to accommodate members’ wishes. Relegation causes a world of legal pain and even if the promotion places could be sorted there is no support for the ‘promote everyone, relegate no-one’ option of a few weeks back.

Pressing the reset button is still quite likely I fear. This is because the only clubs who could harbour a serious grievance against that are the very few who looked nailed on for promotion - Leeds, West Brom, Us, Crewe and Swindon - and with none of them being mathematically up even with the best will in the world and the best lawyers money could buy it’s an unwinnable case.

Somebody, anybody, please reassure me. Tell me why and how I’m wrong. Go.
I just can't see any court looking favourably at any court action from a disgruntled club. They'll recognise that for myriad reasons it was reasonable to curtail the league, and reasonable at 75% of the season gone to consider that PPG was a fair way to settle the outcome.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Magwitch

ppg will happen as described by the EFL the other day certain if that, but not so certain about what will happen with the Premiership I have doubts that will re-start as they are saying. What happens then who knows.

TewkesburySkyBlue

I just can't see any court looking favourably at any court action from a disgruntled club. They'll recognise that for myriad reasons it was reasonable to curtail the league, and reasonable at 75% of the season gone to consider that PPG was a fair way to settle the outcome.

Yes when I studied Law admittedly a long time ago English law was based on ‘Equity’ what the man on the Clapham omnibus or more recently the M25 would think ie what was fair so any court would laugh at the likes of Peterborough

tisza

Around 2nd or 3rd June I believe
That surely makes it impossible to complete a proper season including play-offs etc.
Players would have been "off" for over 3 months (longer than a normal season break).
Clubs have about 6 weeks in a normal preseason but even if they get it down to a 4 week pre-season (for a beginning of July start) you would be asking players to play 3 games a week in the hottest month of the year.

Mcbean

I think given the time pressure it will just be 4 teams in the playoffs BCD if the Prem actually start - no more games In our league and the championship - FA cup abandoned - teams left get byes through the first 2 rounds Next season as the smaller clubs need a money spinner . Decision not made until at least the point that the Prem starts - ample opportunity for the Cov Tel to create clickbait without any actual facts ( job retention)

NortonSkyBlue

That surely makes it impossible to complete a proper season including play-offs etc.
Players would have been "off" for over 3 months (longer than a normal season break).
Clubs have about 6 weeks in a normal preseason but even if they get it down to a 4 week pre-season (for a beginning of July start) you would be asking players to play 3 games a week in the hottest month of the year.
You mean like when euros and world cups are played?
There is nothing to stop games happening-see Bundesliga as an example.

tisza

You mean like when euros and world cups are played?
There is nothing to stop games happening-see Bundesliga as an example.
World cup averages a game every 4-5 days. so roughly a 1.5 games per week so 9 games takes 6 weeks. It's 7 games in about a month for the finalist.
Bundesliga is doing 2 games per week so even with that would take play-off finalists into middle of August if L1 resumes with a beginning of July start. And Bundesliga had a 5 week "pre-season" before games restarted.

alfielloyd

Same as every other team alfiellyod (Lloyd McGrath?) just think personally (followed us in the 80’s , early 90’s religiously home and away) watch on I follow now because of personal circumstances (would love to go now) the team I see are so together it’s amazing( (as I put, dabo,aeroplane across the pitch when Shipley scored, dam busters is what we should come out to) shows me that they are a unit of players who love playing for Coventry and THEY shan’t be defeated till the game is win.
I just feel that’s what MR and Vivesh has installed in them as a team
Respect your view btw
Indeed Lloyd McGrath. Loved this man, wanted to call our first child Lloyd. Unfortunately this didn't happen.

The Great Eastern

There's an increasing accumulation of reasons why finishing the season is looking almost impossible.
I was banging the drum for finishing but I just can't see it happening now.
Would love to have seen us do it 'properly' but There's bigger things going on in the country and the world at the moment.
Why? was it a girl?
Nothing wrong with Lloydetta...

PCH

Used to love watching McGrath play. I remember him putting Steve Hunt into the advertising hoardings and telling him to get up

Magwitch

Ha,ha...no I relented. However, I have always felt that Lloyd was in the same boat as Mark E Smith, he was not appreciated. The combination of Lloyd and Dean Emerson was magnificent, unfortunately injuries blighted both players.
McGrath and Emerson were developing into one of the best midfield partnerships in the league until Emerson got nobbled by dirty Gary Megson, think he would have played for England.

clint van damme

McGrath and Emerson were developing into one of the best midfield partnerships in the league until Emerson got nobbled by dirty Gary Megson, think he would have played for England.

Emerson was never the same when he came back.
A couple of times we were linked with Megson as manager, I wouldn't have been too happy with that.

CCFC54321

Already 8 League One clubs are reported to have come out publicly to end now.
Only 4 to go
Ccfc
Rotherham
Wycombe
Wimbledon
Burton
Accrington
Shrewsbury
Rochdale
Can’t see Bolton and Southend wanting to continue so that leaves two more.

The MK Dons chairman is saying he will go with the majority but he won’t know what the majority want to do until the votings completed?

Warwickhunt

Why dont they finish the season on the points now fuck the PPG!

Frank Sidebottom

Can’t see Bolton and Southend wanting to continue so that leaves two more.

The MK Dons chairman is saying he will go with the majority but he won’t know what the majority want to do until the votings completed?
Surely all teams will have to go with the majority, That's kind of how a vote works.

Gibbo

For those slagging off the EFL and Rick Parry.

Bear in mind he is not an all powerful President, but the chairman of a committee of 70 odd all of whom have member's rights. The EFL clearly have a favoured solution - PPG. By restricting choice and delaying the decision it makes it more, not less likely that PPG will result. The later the decision, the less likely clubs will have the time to complete the season. EFL appear to have have engineered it so the choice is between their preferred one - PPG, and one which increasingly over time can not be delivered - complete the season. Ironically for those calling the EFL "amateurs" you should probably cheer every delay on.

By making it a change to the constitution applicable to future seasons, it avoids legal action about a one-off decision that breaks the rules. The idea of having bigger group in the play offs is really only applicable to this season because it is unusually close, but that cannot be factored into a constitutional change. Last year the top 6 was virtually decided by the end of February.

As League 1 is an uneven number, a tied vote is unlikely for which we can thank that scoundrel who took over Bury. Although it is not impossible (Southend abstaining?). But if there was a tie, I don't think null and void is the default, as I previously thought, I suspect it is to complete the season.

Weighted PPG is no better than PPG, it is still unfair - it depends on who your outstanding fixtures are just as much as unweighted does. For legal reasons, simplicity is good, it leaves less to be contested by lawyers.

Finally, as I have tweeted elsewhere, the size of our lead is utterly irrelevant and people should stop banging on about it. The top two are a single unit who are treated identically within the rules by being automatically promoted. It matters not who is 1st or 2nd. There is no "Promote Cov, Rotherham in the play offs" option - the issue at stake is the gap between the lower of the top 2 the club placed 3rd, not that between 1st and 3rd. Had Rotherham been say 5 ahead of 3rd, say, the case for PPG would be even stronger.

If someone has said all this above , sorry. Just had to get it out of my head.

Philosorapter

Bear in mind he is not an all powerful President, but the chairman of a committee of 70 odd all of whom have member's rights. The EFL clearly have a favoured solution - PPG. By restricting choice and delaying the decision it makes it more, not less likely that PPG will result. The later the decision, the less likely clubs will have the time to complete the season. EFL appear to have have engineered it so the choice is between their preferred one - PPG, and one which increasingly over time can not be delivered - complete the season. Ironically for those calling the EFL "amateurs" you should probably cheer every delay on.

By making it a change to the constitution applicable to future seasons, it avoids legal action about a one-off decision that breaks the rules. The idea of having bigger group in the play offs is really only applicable to this season because it is unusually close, but that cannot be factored into a constitutional change. Last year the top 6 was virtually decided by the end of February.

As League 1 is an uneven number, a tied vote is unlikely for which we can thank that scoundrel who took over Bury. Although it is not impossible (Southend abstaining?). But if there was a tie, I don't think null and void is the default, as I previously thought, I suspect it is to complete the season.

Weighted PPG is no better than PPG, it is still unfair - it depends on who your outstanding fixtures are just as much as unweighted does. For legal reasons, simplicity is good, it leaves less to be contested by lawyers.

Finally, as I have tweeted elsewhere, the size of our lead is utterly irrelevant and people should stop banging on about it. The top two are a single unit who are treated identically within the rules by being automatically promoted. It matters not who is 1st or 2nd. There is no "Promote Cov, Rotherham in the play offs" option - the issue at stake is the gap between the lower of the top 2 the club placed 3rd, not that between 1st and 3rd. Had Rotherham been say 5 ahead of 3rd, say, the case for PPG would be even stronger.

Phil.jpg

I'll get my coat...

fernandopartridge

There is nothing unfair about ppg, it is based on fact and applied consistently.

Brylowes

There is nothing unfair about ppg, it is based on fact and applied consistently.

It’s definitely the fairest way to decide when all’s considered, those in league positions
that just miss out on play offs or face relegation obviously will not agree ‘though they
would had they finished anywhere else.
If that makes sense.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

The EFL have said that if play offs can't be staged they will have to think of another way to resolve the third promoted team from League One ... at a later date.

When they decide it's PPG, those teams in the playoffs position can take part in a penalty shoot out, starting with the semi- finals 3rd play 6th and 4th play 5th, Winners play in the final to decide who is the 3rd team to be promoted.

Played at a neutral ground behind closed doors.

It's just an idea but at least it's decided by scoring goals.

chiefdave

Do you think Sunderland fans will stop moaning about a 15 minutes late start if we finish 900 minutes early?
Imagine if this was the point the Championship broke away from the EFL and they ended promotion and relegation. Sunderland and Pompey would be stuck in L1!

Obviously won't happen but would be funny. Even if the Championship did decide to move to that system they're find a way to get the 'big' clubs in.

Flying Fokker

Imagine if this was the point the Championship broke away from the EFL and they ended promotion and relegation. Sunderland and Pompey would be stuck in L1!

Obviously won't happen but would be funny. Even if the Championship did decide to move to that system they're find a way to get the 'big' clubs in.
I was just about to write. Obviously it won’t happen. I’ve been trying to work out if we’d be let in. No stadium and all that. Maybe a Championship and Championship 1.

Users who are viewing this thread