EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (4 Viewers)

MalcSB

Integrity of the game is important, and to say the league has a format that we should stick by is a grievous mistake given the circumstances, and that no governing body could have legislated for.
I mentioned somewhere (there are so many post everywhere) that looking at the table, games in hand, PPG weighted or otherwise, it would seem sensible to suggest Perterborough are very much in the fight to go up. Even with one game they could go second had we played another week before it was halted. Would you not say that matters? Wycombe could not have gone second even if they beat the best in form team in the league, away at St.Andrews.
So come on reflect on the table a little, see how tight it is below us. Sunderland having played extra games already are out of it if I'm honest when you draw that line.
Rotherham who everyone is ignoring somewhat, are no way safe in second and so should join the playoff bunch, if playoffs are to be played.

That means a mini tourmament involving Rotherham down to Wycombe, leaving out Sunderland. That in all fairness looks the most sensible and resonable thing to do. The fixtures should be best place plays worst placed, and so forth as those already higher placed should have a slight advantage tbf. Play it out BCD at a neutral venue over a few days with testing and all that has to be done.
For those that would argue with me over play off places, please look at the table, what the next fixture was for everyone, form, goal difference, and tell me it would be fair if Peterborough were guzumped by Wycombe using one of those PPG scenario's?
Peterborough WERE in the fight to go up, but shit happened.

Grendel

Sky sports - Premier league testing

6 positive tests so far...can’t see any football resuming any time soon

They view only 6 as a real positive

robbiethemole

what a feckin tool, some clubs, Tranmere and I think Bristol have taken up their pitches to re-lay them. how is the twat gonna play a game on any of them, or are we having expensive hotel stays and neutral venues which also need paying for??
The bloke is only looking after his own arse and feck everyone else, Clough is the top person at the moment, leaving his job to safeguard jobs of others at the club.
MacAnthony should wind his neck in, who in the top half wants to continue apart from those outside the playoffs?

Grendel

Integrity of the game is important, and to say the league has a format that we should stick by is a grievous mistake given the circumstances, and that no governing body could have legislated for.
I mentioned somewhere (there are so many post everywhere) that looking at the table, games in hand, PPG weighted or otherwise, it would seem sensible to suggest Perterborough are very much in the fight to go up. Even with one game they could go second had we played another week before it was halted. Would you not say that matters? Wycombe could not have gone second even if they beat the best in form team in the league, away at St.Andrews.
So come on reflect on the table a little, see how tight it is below us. Sunderland having played extra games already are out of it if I'm honest when you draw that line.
Rotherham who everyone is ignoring somewhat, are no way safe in second and so should join the playoff bunch, if playoffs are to be played.

That means a mini tourmament involving Rotherham down to Wycombe, leaving out Sunderland. That in all fairness looks the most sensible and resonable thing to do. The fixtures should be best place plays worst placed, and so forth as those already higher placed should have a slight advantage tbf. Play it out BCD at a neutral venue over a few days with testing and all that has to be done.
For those that would argue with me over play off places, please look at the table, what the next fixture was for everyone, form, goal difference, and tell me it would be fair if Peterborough were guzumped by Wycombe using one of those PPG scenario's?

If you involve Rotherham you are admitting PPG is not a fair method and would have to then include us as well

Happy_Martian

Mark Catlin (?), chairman of Portsmouth on Kelly Cates show on Radio 5 Live has just said that Aberdeen are reported to have said they are losing £1million with the SFPL not restarting, and if League 1 doesn't restart, Portsmouth are likely to lose the same.

Happy_Martian

They view only 6 as a real positive

Radio 5 saying the same, quoting 6 positives from 700+ players is a positive. But that's this weeks test. What is the incubation period of this virus ? How many other players did those 6 have contact with ?

Grendel

Radio 5 saying the same, quoting 6 positives from 700+ players is a positive. But that's this weeks test. What is the incubation period of this virus ? How many other players did those 6 have contact with ?

They haven’t started group training yet

Mucca Mad Boys

Mark Catlin (?), chairman of Portsmouth on Kelly Cates show on Radio 5 Live has just said that Aberdeen are reported to have said they are losing £1million with the SFPL not restarting, and if League 1 doesn't restart, Portsmouth are likely to lose the same.

I don’t know the numbers behind those numbers, but I’d say that estimate is assuming ticket sales.

The problem with that, for a club like Pompey (and more across the league), is that we’re not going to playing in front of 10-20k fans per week. It’s not safe to do so.

Financially, this is going to hit everyone hard, but continuing to play on the rest of the season will hit most clubs with a 2-4-1. No ticket sales, coupled with an estimated £140k in testing per game. Outside of the teams around the playoffs, none of the teams are going to want to play on.

A mini-tournament for a playoff promotion spot seems to be fair, but if they can’t decide how many teams should take part, then revert to the original format.

clint van damme

every club is losing money.
As for Aberdeen, they got the last Scottish European place. What if they'd missed out on that? What would the cost have been?

Every chairman being interviewed at the moment has an agenda, which is fine, but most of what they're saying can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Paxman II

If you involve Rotherham you are admitting PPG is not a fair method and would have to then include us as well

So the question is whether or not any PPG is fair given the table when all was halted? Apart from Sunderland you could throw a blanket over them from us down to Wycombe. Exclude the PPG and let them play it out. Don't see why we would be included Grendel. Would it be a bit more fair than the PPG strictly applied which impedes Peterborough unfairly if used one way or the other?
I know it's a devil if you do or don't, but what would your suggestion be?

Legia Sky Blue

Given that training hasn't resumed yet, these 6 shouldn't have had any contact with their fellow players since the season was halted in March.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Is it tomorrow yet!

Tomorrow, tomorrow, someone should write a song. Oh yeah they did.

tisza

probably a lot down to their wage bill also - a lot of big contracts there. Pitman alone nearly 1m per year.

chiefdave

That's got to have been taken out of context as it doesn't seem to stack up. Portsmouth's last available accounts, for 2018/19, have a total turnover of £3,648,544 after cost of sales. Don't see how that tally with losing £1m if they don't play their remain 4 home games which would be behind closed doors.

Grendel

Anyone want to take a guess where Tranmere will finish if PPG is used? All the teams shouting about what is 'fair' and 'sporting integrity' seem to have something in common, can't quite put my finger on it.

Faria Alam never made it on the celebrity circuit in the end did she

Happy_Martian

For those that wish to listen the Radio 5 Live article about League One, including the Portsmouth Chairman interview, 5 Live Sport - 19/05/2020 - BBC Sounds from 28mins through to 41 mins.

Happy_Martian

That's got to have been taken out of context as it doesn't seem to stack up. Portsmouth's last available accounts, for 2018/19, have a total turnover of £3,648,544 after cost of sales. Don't see how that tally with losing £1m if they don't play their remain 4 home games which would be behind closed doors.

Just posted the link to the programme. Context can be taken from that.

chiefdave

Just looking at the EFL rules and there's not really anything specific in there but you could easily make the argument based on the existing rules that all fixtures have to be played by 7th May. Clubs are supposed to complete fixtures by the last day of the season (3rd May) but there is a rule that players must remain available for 4 days after that in case there's an outstanding game.

The only rules about not fulfilling fixtures are that it would be a misconduct charge but there is an exemption for events which are unforseen.

I reckon if you pushed for a strict interpretation of the current rules the remaining fixtures would be void as they can't be completed in time which would leave the table as it currently stands as the final table.

Users who are viewing this thread