Effects of Sky TV (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2477

Shefield Utd will be the first game for us after a two week break and is arguably one of the bigger more attractive away games of the season. Add to this the fact that we are top and yet we have only sold 550 tickets up to yesterday.

Chesterfield which is a month away and not what I would call a stand out away game has all ready sold out and the club are requesting further tickets.

The only reason I can see is that the Shefield game is on sky and its a 12pm ko. Do games on Tv really make that much difference to peoples reasons to travel ?
I could understand it if it was a Tuesday night away game at Scunthorpe but surely a a game against Shefield Utd we should be taking alot bigger following than current ticket sales reflect

covcity4life

dont understand, course attendance may suffer if its on tv, people can save ticket and travel money and watch it at home/pub in warmth

D

Deleted member 2477

Each to their own i supose but Id rather watch a live game with the atmosphere than sat in my lounge or a pub spending the ticket money on beer. Shefield isnt that far to travel and has some great pubs but I suppose people dont have the finances this time of year anymore

standupforcity

Each to their own i supose but Id rather watch a live game with the atmosphere than sat in my lounge or a pub spending the ticket money on beer. Shefield isnt that far to travel and has some great pubs but I suppose people dont have the finances this time of year anymore

It's quite a long way from London!

kg82

Isn't "selling out" the Chesterfield game just 300 of 1 or 2 blocks so far? I may be wrong. Also, I'm guessing a few will have had to have waited for pay day and then how much they might spend on Christmas. I'd expect us still to take between 1500-2000.

D

Deleted member 2477

Weve sold just under 1000 initial allocation for chesterfield

Kingokings204

Early Sunday kick off and game on tv with money right as it is over Christmas. Freezing bloody cold.

I will be watching it on tv I will admit for those reasons. Money being my biggest reason.

2 tickets for me and my partner and return fuel and parking with some drinks. Talking almost £100.

Otis

Shefield Utd will be the first game for us after a two week break and is arguably one of the bigger more attractive away games of the season. Add to this the fact that we are top and yet we have only sold 550 tickets up to yesterday.

Chesterfield which is a month away and not what I would call a stand out away game has all ready sold out and the club are requesting further tickets.

The only reason I can see is that the Shefield game is on sky and its a 12pm ko. Do games on Tv really make that much difference to peoples reasons to travel ?
I could understand it if it was a Tuesday night away game at Scunthorpe but surely a a game against Shefield Utd we should be taking alot bigger following than current ticket sales reflect

The 12 noon kick off must make one hell of a difference I would have thought. Will mean a pretty early start in the morning to get there for many.

George1

The early kick off mixed with Sunday train services makes it impossible to get to the Sheff Utd game from London

D

Deleted member 2477

Anyone know why its 12 pm ko. Is it because of tv or police to stop drinking.
cant see any reason for trouble as I dont believe theres a history between the two clubs

chiefdave

12pm on a Sunday isn't easy for people who use public transport. Also means a fairly early start for coaches from the Ricoh which people may not fancy on a Sunday.

There will be people who can't attend every game that might skip this one as they can watch it down the pub / at home instead.

SlowerThanPlatt

The Sheffield United game is basically 2 weeks away ffs. You do realise the closer to the game the more tickets you sell?

CCFC88

Chesterfield also a relatively new ground for anyone who didnt go last year, and maybe the good memories of the win last year has prompted people to go back.

Very much a pick and choose situation at this time of year, especially with away games, putting the SU game on sky has made that decision easier for most.

R

RB1992

Me and a few mates usually travel to one away game a month and make a night of it; book a hotel, go to the game and go out in whichever city/town/village/hole we're playing in on the Saturday. Naturally, we penned in Sheffield Utd as one of our "must-go" away games of the season, however the fact it is now on a Sunday (none of us fancy waking up early & hungover for the game knowing we pretty much have to drive home straight after) and on Sky means we've scrapped it for Chesterfield. If it was Friday night we'd probably still have gone.

So, in short, yes, I think it goes without saying that a Sunday game on Sky will have a massive impact on away ticket sales.

Saying that, I still think we'll fetch over a thousand.

matesx

one of the best parts of an away day for me is the boozer before the game

12.00 noon wipes that out

James Smith

The effect of TV moving games and start times will obviously have an effect. Some people may only be able to do a Saturday afternoon for away games especially if it requires long distance travel. I thought that the TV money was supposed to help with the potentially lower gates at televised games.

Users who are viewing this thread