Early season thoughts about Championship (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Just looking at those teams who might finish down at the wrong end of the table.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've changed my minds about 2 teams that I'd thought would struggle - Huddersfield and PNE. I actually think they'll be a bit nearer mid-table.

Millwall haven't convinced me early on (coupled with the abiding memory of the last game of last season), so I'm wondering if they may end up down there along with the promoted three, Derby (still), as I think they will be vulnerable to injuries and Forest. Add Reading, with an outside possibility of Bristol City, and I think that's who is going to be battling for survival. I've not included us - not because I think we're certain to avoid having issues - but I think there are three from that bunch who are/will be, worse than us. Birmingham as an outside bet to be last season's Barnsley, with a version of bruising 'thugball'

Last edited:

rob9872

Along with who you've listed, I had Blackpool down to finish down there. I still think they will be thereabouts although have just signed Dujon on loan this afternoon which will help them. Reading are signing some players too. Certainly risky options but if some come off will be fine. Now talking about Andy Carroll (appreciate made of glass but if injury free too good for the level) and already added Drinkwater and Dann.

NorthernWisdom

Along with who you've listed, I had Blackpool down to finish down there. I still think they will be thereabouts although have just signed Dujon on loan this afternoon which will help them. Reading are signing some players too. Certainly risky options but if some come off will be fine. Now talking about Andy Carroll (appreciate made of glass but if injury free too good for the level) and already added Drinkwater and Dann.
I really can't see Carroll or Drinkwater getting motivated for this level, and they both have personal demons to keep under control, too.

Sky Blue Harry H

Suspect Swansea might be involved.

Depends on whether Grimes /Bidwell leave, who any late acquisitions are. Think they have enough grit to make mid-table. As with most of the potential mid--table teams, injuries or lack of can easily move them from top 6 to bottom 6.

no_loyalty

Blackburn always start well then slide down the table.

LilleSkyBlue

Of the 5 opposing outfits so far this season I thought Reading were the worst, followed by Barnsley. Forest were all right, against us at least, but QPR looked fairly impressive when they moved up a gear in the second half on Saturday.

I missed most of the Blackpool game because of children and a Sooty glove puppet.

ccfc1234

Stoke look like they have had a good transfer window and I expect them to be in and amongst the top 6. The lad they just loaned from Brighton who they signed today for about 10 million looks decent.

no_loyalty

Of the 5 opposing outfits so far this season I thought Reading were the worst, followed by Barnsley. Forest were all right, against us at least, but QPR looked fairly impressive when they moved up a gear in the second half on Saturday.

I missed most of the Blackpool game because of children and a Sooty glove puppet.

QPR have just signed Andre Gray on loan, think they will be right up there this season.

Sky Blue Harry H

Fulham, West Brom, Stoke, QPR and Bournemouth - leaves us with one play off/automatic place to grab!

Johhny Blue

Be careful what you post on here or you could have the dude with the ice cream van checking you out

CDK

Not worried about fighting relegation as comfortable mid table this season and we always get stronger as season wears on under robins and a good start which I didn't expect,plus a stronger more savvy squad after last season's expierence.

Sky Blue Harry H

Birmingham 11/1 to be relegated with Sky,, We're 14/1. Bit surprised at both of those odds. Huddersfield/PNE are about 7/2 (too short imo)

slowpoke

Well I think it’s going to be tight both ends of the table Fulham look like they are going to be like Norwich last year then I think there could be a number in the play-off list a lot will have West Brom and Bournemouth as the other favourites but I’m not so sure on either to zoom away like Fulham similarly at the bottom end. going to be a few scrambling about at the bottom end there.Think we’ll be okay Saturdays first half display v QPR showed me we can more than compete with the better sides in this division got to get our shooting boots on though.

Liquid Gold

We've not beaten the most impressive teams but we've still won points in situations we'd have struggled in last season and we've performed well enough in our losses to say we've progressed.

Solid boring mid-table would do me and I think we're there.

Philosorapter

Just a comparison between seasons.

Attachments

• Game 5 2020-21.PNG
    Game 5 2020-21.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Game 5 2021-22.PNG
    Game 5 2021-22.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 11

Londonccfcfan

Just looking at those teams who might finish down at the wrong end of the table.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've changed my minds about 2 teams that I'd thought would struggle - Huddersfield and PNE. I actually think they'll be a bit nearer mid-table.

Millwall haven't convinced me early on (coupled with the abiding memory of the last game of last season), so I'm wondering if they may end up down there along with the promoted three, Derby (still), as I think they will be vulnerable to injuries and Forest. Add Reading, with an outside possibility of Bristol City, and I think that's who is going to be battling for survival. I've not included us - not because I think we're certain to avoid having issues - but I think there are three from that bunch who are/will be, worse than us. Birmingham as an outside bet to be last season's Barnsley, with a version of bruising 'thugball'

My thoughts.

League is weaker.
We are better more experienced.
Feel good factor back at CBS.
large crowds 10500 season tickets sold.
Good positive style of football.

Points to a finish of 9th to 12th. For me without breaking sweat.

Strugglers, bottom 8

Reading
Millwall,
Preston
Blackburn
Bristol City
Swansea
Forest
Derby

Sky Blue Harry H

My thoughts.

League is weaker.

Strugglers, bottom 8

Reading
Millwall,
Preston
Blackburn
Bristol City
Swansea
Forest
Derby
I think PNE will finish highest of that bunch. Swansea maybe close to them. Agree with the rest

rhino1002

My thoughts.

League is weaker.

Strugglers, bottom 8

Reading
Millwall,
Preston
Blackburn
Bristol City
Swansea
Forest
Derby
I'm surprised you haven't included any of the 3 newly promoted sides

Walsgrave

I believe the relative comfort with which we have started the season (aside from arguably 'easier' fixtures and our experience from last season) has a lot to do with the business model with which the club has been operating. Lots of clubs have been ravaged by the pandemic yet we seem to have been unscathed (touch wood). It is the right way to go for a Championship team.

Users who are viewing this thread