Early days - odd results (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Fleetwood 4-0 up at Scunthorpe, with George Thomas playing, Oxford
four straight losses. I do think Posh will win this league, and Mackens strong, but the rest will take a while to settle.

Pezza

Scunthorpe have some issues going on off the pitch which is interesting but 4-0 down after half hour is poor. Sunderland also look comfortable tonight, it always irks me when I see clubs like them, Wolves, Leicester etc look so good in this league because when we came down we really struggled. I mean we are a similar size club, we certainly were when we initially came down anyway! If only we dealt with the relegation to league 1 all those years ago as well as others have.

Gint11

There are funny results going on around the grounds. I’m not overly concerned about our results after 4 games (would rather it better) but what’s frustrating me is the team keeps changing, MR doesn’t appear to know his best 11 or formation and it’s not helping us play well. Shots on target also a concern. Results wise you don’t really know much until 10 games in.

Gint11

Sunderland 1-4 up after an hour at Gillingham. Watch what happens in our game. Probably lose 2-0 with 0 shots on target!!

Sky Blue Harry H

Sunderland 1-4 up after an hour at Gillingham. Watch what happens in our game. Probably lose 2-0 with 0 shots on target!!
Know what you mean. Until things clicked last year, we had a few of those games where we were garbage but MR eventually got us playing. Hopefully he'll sort us more quickly this year!

Pezza

There is always a handful of teams in the league who just aren't good enough, last year it was Bury, Oldham, etc... this year we are in danger of falling into that bottom 5-6 and being there all season. I really hope not but I'd imagine Scunthorpe, Gillingham and certainly Blackpool will.... 3 of our first 4 league games!

Sky Blue Harry H

There is always a handful of teams in the league who just aren't good enough, last year it was Bury, Oldham, etc... this year we are in danger of falling into that bottom 5-6 and being there all season. I really hope not but I'd imagine Scunthorpe, Gillingham and certainly Blackpool will.... 3 of our first 4 league games!
Can't really disagree with this. Would be a shame if the optimism of last season was so quickly dampened. Fingers crossed.

Frank Sidebottom

Yeah and we've already lost to 2 of them..... why do we always seem to struggle against teams destined for the bottom 5 or 6 Like Morecambe, FGR and Yeovil last year.

JulianDarbyFTW

Can't really disagree with this. Would be a shame if the optimism of last season was so quickly dampened. Fingers crossed.

The frustrating thing is, the club and players were starting to bridge the gap to the fans. For the first time in what feels like forever, we were all on the same side. All of that good work is being undone by the churning of players, and the uninspiring replacements (and generally inept performances - bear in mind we had 2 players in the L2 team of the year that are yet to play a league game this season). Yes, it's early days, but the goodwill of the fans is rapidly slipping away. We've suffered through so many years of dross that it's hard to stomach the thought of yet another.

Hobo

Yeah and we've already lost to 2 of them..... why do we always seem to struggle against teams destined for the bottom 5 or 6 Like Morecambe, FGR and Yeovil last year.
Because good teams let you play. Bad teams are spoilers and suck average teams down to their level. Average teams follow the tempo set by the opposition rather than dictate it.

Ashdown

The club has had an amazing few months of financial input, players have left to free up wages too and yes some funds have been spent on incoming players to bolster the squad but I think recruitment has been so poor and we are no further forward. Sterling, Hiwula and Bakayoko are offering nothing more than we had already so why bother ? We should have gone for quality over quantity, now we have a lot of average Joe's competing with each other.

Gint11

MR seems to be windmilling. Windmilling in his signings and formations and starting line ups.

He needs to find our best 11 sharpish.

Ash

The club has had an amazing few months of financial input, players have left to free up wages too and yes some funds have been spent on incoming players to bolster the squad but I think recruitment has been so poor and we are no further forward. Sterling, Hiwula and Bakayoko are offering nothing more than we had already so why bother ? We should have gone for quality over quantity, now we have a lot of average Joe's competing with each other.

Agree completely about Bakayoko and Sterling, both a complete regression from what we had in their respective positions previously. However I do like the look of Hiwula, played up top and with the ball to his feet and he could be a real player for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonleagueherewecome

The frustrating thing is, the club and players were starting to bridge the gap to the fans. For the first time in what feels like forever, we were all on the same side. All of that good work is being undone by the churning of players, and the uninspiring replacements (and generally inept performances - bear in mind we had 2 players in the L2 team of the year that are yet to play a league game this season). Yes, it's early days, but the goodwill of the fans is rapidly slipping away. We've suffered through so many years of dross that it's hard to stomach the thought of yet another.

That's the most sickening aspect of this season for me. There's players that have done well for us, are settled here, who the fans have bonded with, and they they've been ditched. So much for that oft-heard phrase "the players who got us promoted deserve a chance to show what they can do at the higher level"....not with Robins, it seems.

higgs

Agree completely about Bakayoko and Sterling, both a complete regression from what we had in their respective positions previously. However I do like the look of Hiwula, played up top and with the ball to his feet and he could be a real player for us!

He should then just play hiwula with max and then my only other change would be at left back and fuck the rest of the changes go back to basics and let's see some passion

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Scunthorpe have some issues going on off the pitch which is interesting but 4-0 down after half hour is poor. Sunderland also look comfortable tonight, it always irks me when I see clubs like them, Wolves, Leicester etc look so good in this league because when we came down we really struggled. I mean we are a similar size club, we certainly were when we initially came down anyway! If only we dealt with the relegation to league 1 all those years ago as well as others have.

The difference being that Wolves and Sunderland had obscene parachute payments which alone are about 5-6 times our turnover. Leicester were given a blank cheque by Mandaric to get back out and Blackburn's squad last year was streets ahead.

We had Andy Thorn and Kevin Malaga.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's the most sickening aspect of this season for me. There's players that have done well for us, are settled here, who the fans have bonded with, and they they've been ditched. So much for that oft-heard phrase "the players who got us promoted deserve a chance to show what they can do at the higher level"....not with Robins, it seems.

More bizarre is that he frequently referred to the connection between the team and the fans last season. He's taken a chainsaw to the face of that in a few weeks.

clint van damme

talking to Gillingham ST holders In our head office in Kent they reckon they will be delighted to stay up this season and expect to struggle. We really need to be winning games like this.

Mucca Mad Boys

For all the typical hysteria of us Cov fans, we’re only 2 points worse off than last season.

Admittedly, I’m yet to watch us because I’ve been working away. But to make an observation, we look far less settled than we did last year with more chopping and changing. I don’t think Biamou is a lone striker, and from what I’ve heard, neither is Bakayoko so something needs to be addressed on that front. I seen 1 or 2 people compare this to the team Mowbray put together in the relegation year, there is no comparison. We didn’t win a game for the first 10 games, and that is genuinely concerning.

Only time will tell, and I’m hopeful that we can turn it around. Hiwula and Bakayoko scores a combined 21 last seasons and JCH scores 9 league goals in his first spell, so we have players that can score goals. With Jones and Kelly to come back, we certainly look a stronger outfit.

CJ_covblaze

Players are not issue. It's tactics

We need robin's to turn this round
Not bakayoko

If we're waiting for Bakayoko to turn around we might as well pull up a chair, get a brew and put a long film on. My Mum and Dad's boat turns quicker.

Mcbean

If you were MR you buy you must try - or you might never know if they are rubbish - expect changes

CJ_covblaze

Grendel

Players are not issue. It's tactics

We need robin's to turn this round
Not bakayoko

Is it? Whatever Bakayokos strengths scoring is not one of them. I am not anti him as I have hardly seen him but its obvious unless a lot changes he will not score goals - and as he has a lot of other players in the same mould anyway it makes less and less sense

covcity4life

Is it? Whatever Bakayokos strengths scoring is not one of them. I am not anti him as I have hardly seen him but its obvious unless a lot changes he will not score goals - and as he has a lot of other players in the same mould anyway it makes less and less sense
That's still on robin's then

Bakayoko could prob work as the grafter in 2 upfront.

Mucca Mad Boys

in a higher league !!

4 games doesn’t tell you a lot. There are some worrying trends, namely our lack of goals from open play. But, sometimes you need a bit of time for players to settle in and gel. I’m unsure whether Bakayoko will click, but I do think Hiwula will improve a lot as the season develops.

When we move to 4-4-2, I think we’ll be fine. None of our strikers seem to be natural lone striker options.

Ash

He should then just play hiwula with max and then my only other change would be at left back and fuck the rest of the changes go back to basics and let's see some passion

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well seeing as Max seems to be out for a little while, it’s got to be Hiwula up top with JCH in a 442 with the ball primarily on the deck.

Users who are viewing this thread