Earliest memories of city games (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

I'll start.

Climbing up the steps of the spoin kop to cheers as Paul Culpin scored an early first goal in a 2-0 home win against Manchester City in the early 80's. Can't remember the season.

Some of my best memories with my now passed on dad were spent on the kop

Last edited:

Hobo

Remember the news of promotion to 1st Division followed by a Sky Blue strip for me Birthday. First game was a night match 4-0 against Southampton.

Sky Blue Harry H

Cardiff at home (John Tudor broke his leg) the year we got promoted - hardly remember anything about it, only 6 or 7, but hooked soon after!

jaymo132

Ian st.john nutting Brian Lewis boxing day 1967..1-1 against Liverpool..Gerry Baker for us Roger Hunt(i think for them) 42,000 crowd.
I was 8 at the time..awesome memory:blue:

Voice_of_Reason

Standing on Spion Cop.. Peter Taylor (Taylor and Clough fame) was in goal for us. First game in Div 3 (South) following relegation.

Moff

Tommy Hutchison on the wing...priceless.

Beating Crystal Palace 3-1 with the Clive Allen goal from a free kick that never was..it went in hit the frame of the goal and came out and the only person who didnt see it were the officials.

A few years later beating Sunderland 6-1 at home in a midweek game, our biggest top flight win, and against the Maccams as well. Nice!

jesus-wept

I remember that one too -- Terry Bly ! We signed him then replaced him with George Hudson ! 1-2 ! We lost
Terry Bly didn't play aganst Kings Lynn, that was pre Jimmy Hill and Bly was signed by Hill the following summer. Our centre forward that day was a Mike Dixon w ho's claim to fame was being Kerry Dixon's dad.

Suffolkskyblue

Went as a 6 year old with my Dad, Uncle and Cousin February 68 to see them play Chelsea in their first season in the 1st Division. Sat on the wall of the Kop right at the front with my legs dangling over the edge. Don't remember much about the game except my Dad being given a bollocking by the coppers for putting me on the wall and what seemed like a long way down for a 6 year old! City won 2 - 1 and been hooked ever since. Worry that there arn't many youngsters going to the games now for various reasons and for future support!

Monners

First one I remember was a midweek 1-1 draw with Derby in September 1974 (8 years old). Rodger Davies for them and Willie Carr for us. Stood on the West Terrace with the old man. Move to Northamptonshire a few weeks later, but we still went to as many games as we could depending on his work - mainly midweek games, which were always a great experience.

torchomatic

Although my first game was on my seventh birthday in 1972 my first real memory is the famous City - Bristol City game in May 1977. The one that Sunderland fans are still pissed off about.

jimmyhill

My first game was against Leyton Orient in 1966. I cannot remember the score or much about the game, but I did get a sky blue star badge with "I think" Ray Pointer on for my bobble hat

Voice_of_Reason

Terry Bly didn't play aganst Kings Lynn, that was pre Jimmy Hill and Bly was signed by Hill the following summer. Our centre forward that day was a Mike Dixon w ho's claim to fame was being Kerry Dixon's dad.

Terry Bly played for Kings Lynn that day, not us.

mrtrench

First game I remember was in the kop directly behind the goal with my Dad playing Sheffield United at home. I reckon it must have been around 1972. I was stood on a beer crate next to a young lad about my age from Sheffield. Remember Tony Currie played that day.

torchomatic

Tony Currie was brilliant. Right up there with Stan Bowles.

First game I remember was in the kop directly behind the goal with my Dad playing Sheffield United at home. I reckon it must have been around 1972. I was stood on a beer crate next to a young lad about my age from Sheffield. Remember Tony Currie played that day.

hutch1972

I'll start.

Climbing up the steps of the spoin kop to cheers as Paul Culpin scored an early first goal in a 2-0 home win against Manchester City in the early 80's. Can't remember the season.

Some of my best memories with my now passed on dad were spent on the kop
Think culpin only signed in 85 , did we not draw 2-2 that day ?
Although i had been to a few previously (according to the old man ) my 1st real memory was a 1-1 with Villa in 75 , a Coop penalty getting us a point. It also helps to jog the memory when getting pelted with stones by Villa fans on the crows nest which were being ripped from the Mercers wall.

jimmyhill

Tony Currie was brilliant. Right up there with Stan Bowles.
Have to agree with you there, I was in London round about that time and QPR and West Ham were in the top three. Some fantastic players, but Bowles was always my favourite, he was a real anti-hero, always looked as f he hadn't got two pennies to rub together

blueflint

early 1950s arthur lightning goalie saved point blank can't remember who against,think he was short sighted saved anything close up let in a few from distance.days of ray pointer willie humphreys ronnie rees george curtis
lots more from before and during jimmy hills time

letsallsingtogether

Remember my brother dumping me on the Sky Blue Terrace and say wait here till the end of the game.

He then went into the West End with his mates smoking and drinking.

Made me go thou the turnstiles without paying as well.

This was some time in the late 60's early 70,s i'm sure he'll put me right.....(The Bastard)

Like to see him do that now......:)

bringbackrattles

First game I recall was George Hudson getting a hat-trick verses Halifax and that was me from then on,me down the front of the Kop with my dad further up,great memories.and I remember St.John dropping Lewis it was a Boxing day match and it was a left hook not a nut if I recall !

wingy

Have to agree with you there, I was in London round about that time and QPR and West Ham were in the top three. Some fantastic players, but Bowles was always my favourite, he was a real anti-hero, always looked as f he hadn't got two pennies to rub together

Yeah Much like footballs Alex Higgins

wingy

I read that as your Dad played against Sheffield Utd for a second .:facepalm:;)

bringbackrattles

I'm gutted missing the Boxing Day game as I love the fixture.memories of rattles, woollen hats and older blokes smoking cigars on the Kop.These bastards who have messed my club up are modern day Scrooges.No Christmas spirit from me !

Ads87

December 10th 1983, City 4 Liverpool 0, Terry Gibson hat-trick. Nicky Platenuer scored the opener in the first minute.

ollyservetta

I can remember me first game ,but who it was against I don't know for sure ,got a feeling it was hull and we won 5.3 but I may have dreamt that ,very early 70s or late 60.s ,we went in a 1360 triumph herald ,then me next was a 0.1 loss to boro,.as for great games the 5.4 win over Norwich was fantastic and the sunday morn win over everton after they had just won the league was unbelievable

Manofdogs

FA Cup

Losing to Kings Lynn in FA Cup in 1961, I think Jimmy Hills first game in charge. I was 10 years old. Haven't missed a great deal of games since then until this season. Ex season ticket holder for 45 years.:claping hands: PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread