E-mail Exchange Between Ray and Chris (1 Viewer)

skyblues4ever

Tried this on 606 and it was moderated within 5 minutes by some WUM without a sense of humour. Hope you like.
9.01am Monday 3<SUP>rd</SUP> May
Dear Chris
I resisted the temptation to send you this message yesterday as it may have contained a number of expletives that, in the cold light of day, I would have been embarrassed about.
You have now been manager of Coventry City FC for over 100 league games. Of these games you have only managed a winning team in 29. The ambitions of the club are higher than this yet there seems no sign of any improvement.
The smoke screen of the five wins in six were bookmarked by two dreadful 10 games without a run and might I remind you that the winning streak you had was against lowly opposition – two of which have since been relegated.
There can be no excuses about the squad as the players have all been chosen by you with the exception of one or two – and whilst I am on the subject of players I thought it was poor form not to give Marcus Hall one last run out in front of the fans – that in itself may have brightened an otherwise dreadful end to the season.
With falling attendances and a growing resentment from the fan base I am becoming increasing concerned with the situation so therefore require a commitment and strategy for improvement.
Need I remind you that you have a year remaining on your contract and, as it stands, I feel very uncomfortable in offering you a new deal.
Let me also remind you that you were brought you here with high hopes and expectations. I made it perfectly clear that the job you were taking on was a difficult one – a lack lustre squad, limited resources, a demanding fan base and a competitive league.
Progress can only be measure by results – not ones opinion on how good someone is or how much bad luck you are getting – and I’m afraid the stats don’t lie. We have had no improvement over the last three seasons, in fact I would argue we have worsened with the drop in goal difference and league position. Also, bear in mind we technically finished in 20<SUP>th</SUP> place if you take into account the 10 point deduction of Crystal Palace.
I guess you and the squad are going on holiday for a while now, although on the recent performances it might be assumed they have been there for a few weeks already.
We have had the subject of a transfer budget on the agenda for some time – you will appreciate that under the circumstances I will be unable to commit to any budget allocation until I have a clear idea of where this is all going. With the dip in attendances it is extremely likely that we will have to release a couple of players to offset the losses incurred this season. I will keep you informed of what is happening in this respect.
I would suggest you take a long hard look at your position here and decide whether it is for you. I will expect a commitment to achieve a certain league position by Christmas (by the way - no lower than 8<SUP>th</SUP>) to which you will be measured. To this end I will do what I can within the constraints of the club to support you in your quest.
Might I refer you to one club in particular – Blackpool. A club run with very little resource which seems to succeed through belief, hard word and passion. Maybe you should take a leaf out of Ian Holloway’s book and start to appreciate success can be created from nothing.
I await your response.
Ray

<O:p
9.15am Monday 3<SUP>rd</SUP> May
Dear Ray
I don’t know what to say – I’m gutted, embarrassed and just wanted the errth to open below me while I stood by the side of the pitch yesterday afternooon.
I ‘ave great faith in my lads and cannot fault the efforts they put in but for some reason it just wasn’t ‘appening.
Even my normal ‘alf time team tawk didn’t seem to ‘elp.
I know we ‘ave let the fans down and could tell by the lack of faces in the crowd following the 4-0 defeat that most of the spectators were not impressed and ‘ad gone ‘ome early.
As you know, I ‘ave been working on limited budgets, plagued with injuries at key times and ‘ave ‘ad loads of lousy refereeing decisions go against us. These are not excuses but they are true.
Me and the missus are off to Barbados now for three weeks so I will be having a long ‘ard look at myself while I am away.
On the subject of the transfer budget this is vital for me to strengthen the squad for next season. I believe I ‘ave bought well so far – Westwood, Clingan, Gunnarrson, McPake, Wood and Baker ‘ave all been worthy additions to the club. Even the likes of McIndoe and Bell on their day can be good. I do however appreciate that we ‘ave a major problem with the captaincy which needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
I am loathed to give you a target to go for as I always think the lads give it their best – I’ll defend them to the ‘ilt – but there again that might be one of my problems. You have to appreciate Ray, that we’ll never be a top two side with the current restrictions in place so maybe that is something you have to give some thought to yourself.
I’ll get back to you when I come back from holiday but one final point about Marcus – I didn’t realise he was such a fans favourite. ‘ave I dropped a bollock?
Chris

skyblues4ever

I guess you meant did pleaded to give him one.
I've heard the rumour too but don't know the source.
It will be a bad decision to keep him on when he has the opportunity now to cut Wright loose and appoint a new captain who can boss the field.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread