Dry January (2 Viewers)

skyblue1991

First week back at work and I could've murdered a beer yesterday evening!

Decided to go for a run instead and ended up too exchausted anyway!

Let's see how I feel this evening...

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Covstu

To be honest I don’t drink much anymore. I will have a beer on Saturday but it would be 1 or 2 and most of the time I can take it or leave it. If I’m at a social event then I would have a good drink but don’t bother beyond that

Macca

I am a complete piss pot. Once I start I can drink from the moment my eyes open to the moment they close, that’s not me bragging, it’s ridiculous, it takes over my life and takes everything from me. The word obsessed doesn’t even come close.

But I’m 7 months dry, I feel great, I have plans and ambitions for my life which aren’t just dreams, I’m actually doing something about it with actions. 7.5 months ago my only plan was to make sure I had 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of vodka delivered to my door by 10.30am as yesterday’s bottle of vodka is about to run out and I need to stop shaking so I can just about roll a cigarette and maybe shower if I’m lucky.

So us ‘piss pots’ as you say , aren’t all bad people ( not saying you called us that btw I just don’t like the term piss pot ) addiction is a truely truely horrible disease, doesn’t just effect the addict, it crushed my family and friends.

Anyway after tangenting off on a bit of a ramble, I would advise anyone to give it up for aslong as they can ( and I’m an ex publican so I go against the code lol ), the benefits are fantastic 😂

been there got the t shirt so I am with you 100%. It’s probably why it grates me listening to Debbie in the office droning on about not having a glass of wine a night for 4 weeks. Not had any issues for 13 years now after being where you have been so keep going

skyblue1991

Halfway through and I'm still dry.

I think the biggest difference I can see is waking up fresh on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Even with a couple of beers you can tell.

But other than that I don't think it has affected me otherwise.

I think if you regularly drink heavy then going cold turkey for a month would be noticeable.

LastGarrison

Halfway through and I'm still dry.

I think the biggest difference I can see is waking up fresh on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Even with a couple of beers you can tell.

But other than that I don't think it has affected me otherwise.

I think if you regularly drink heavy then going cold turkey for a month would be noticeable.

I have a lot more energy and got a lot more shit done the last couple of weeks. The dog fucking hates me as the poor thing is getting walked between 8-10 miles a day at the moment.

Also eating better and mentally in a better place. However could have happily smashed a few last night.

See how it goes but seriously contemplating doing February as well.

skyblue1991

I have a lot more energy and got a lot more shit done the last couple of weeks. The dog fucking hates me as the poor thing is getting walked between 8-10 miles a day at the moment.

Also eating better and mentally in a better place. However could have happily smashed a few last night.

See how it goes but seriously contemplating doing February as well.
What was your drinking like before dry January? Was it every night , a hige blowout every weekend or just a tipple every now and then?

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m back the work Monday so will knock it on the head during the week and have a few at the weekend

RedSalmon

Since Christmas have not really had a drink at all, not a deliberate decision just how it is. Pre lockdown I would be on it quite a bit, especially at the weekend. Not missing it to be fair, but as soon as the pubs open up again it will be business as usual.

vow

Don't drink during the week, so enjoy a few Guiness at the weekend, I'm not sure about depriving myself of alcohol for a month but I'm more of a "anything (most things!) in moderation" kinda fella.

Respect to those who are trying it out though.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Shouldn’t laugh.
Yes, sorry, probably inappropriate that one in view of some of the stories on this thread.

Due to Jan birthdays I'm doing mid-Jan to mid-Feb, so only a few days in for me. As Garrison said I'm tempted to carry it on through Feb. Will see how it goes.

Discussed it with the wife and will be interesting to see if there's any change in my personality eg patience/concentration etc as well as any health benefits.

Will be checking this thread regularly for people's updates.

johnwillomagic

I think dry January is nonsense in some ways I think if you drink moderately anyhow then as some have already said the effects are minimal.
Even more so if you get straight back into bad habits on 1st February.

Having said the above I have been off ales for about two weeks - had my first alcoholic drinks - 3 cans and instantly lost two pounds from the day before. I intend to still cutback from what I was drinking and maybe only have a few a couple of days a week. As with all things think booze good in moderation as opposed to boom/bust famine/feast with dry January promotes in terms of behaviour which is far less healthy.

Skybluefaz

I think dry January is nonsense in some ways I think if you drink moderately anyhow then as some have already said the effects are minimal.
Even more so if you get straight back into bad habits on 1st February.

Having said the above I have been off ales for about two weeks - had my first alcoholic drinks - 3 cans and instantly lost two pounds from the day before. I intend to still cutback from what I was drinking and maybe only have a few a couple of days a week. As with all things think booze good in moderation as opposed to boom/bust famine/feast with dry January promotes in terms of behaviour which is far less healthy.
I don't think it promotes feast/famine. If you smash the booze after a month off I think it highlights an issue.

johnwillomagic

Well Faz not sure what to say ,,,,,,if you feel like one and you only have one or two I could say go for it.....however if you are really gunning for the month try to hold out - neither of two options will make too much difference from a health perspective as you said if you smash the ales then it will however!

Skybluefaz

Well Faz not sure what to say ,,,,,,if you feel like one and you only have one or two I could say go for it.....however if you are really gunning for the month try to hold out - neither of two options will make too much difference from a health perspective as you said if you smash the ales then it will however!
Tbh, I can take or leave it happily nowadays. Over the last 6 months I've had the odd beer or bottle of wine at a weekend. Think since this whole thing kicked off its led me to drink less, but covet the sociable beers. Can't wait for a few drinks with mates.

The Reverend Skyblue

I decided to cut right down instead of trying to stop totally. I definately feel better physically and mentally. For a long time if I watch a game on television, it can be any game, English, german etc I instinctly go and get a beer, but I've managed to cut this down to mainly early evening/night games only, and then it's a max of two, sometimes just one.
I was hoping doing this would help my sleep, I've been waking every night for as long as I can remember ,always between 3 to 3-15am, but it's still happening. I don't want to resort to any tablets, no herbal stuff has helped. I'm hoping by end of Jan my tele football watching habit will have finally disappeared. I do know as I've cut down that when I do have a beer it tastes not great, especially the first can, so I may be on the right tracks to cut it out totally.

LastGarrison

What was your drinking like before dry January? Was it every night , a hige blowout every weekend or just a tipple every now and then?
Archetypal binge drinker.

Don’t drink Mon-Thurs but was hammering it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Drink to get drunk and can never just ‘have a few’ and switch from cans/bottles (pints? Remember them?) to voddy and even sat in my own house I wake up with bits of memory loss from the night before.

Also, heavy drinking for me is intrinsically linked to sticking a bit of coke up my nose which creates a viscous circle of being able to drink more so sticking more up my nose.

Don’t get me wrong I’m far, IMO, from being an alcoholic or coke addict but I definitely have an unhealthy relationship with both.

Last edited:

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Archetypal binge drinker.

Don’t drink Mon-Thurs but was hammering it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Drink to get drunk and can never just ‘have a few’ and switch from cans/bottles (pints? Remember them?) to voddy and even sat in my own house I wake up with bits of memory loss from the night before.

Also, heavy drinking for me is intrinsically linked to sticking a bit of coke up my nose which creates a viscous circle of being able to drink more so sticking more up my nose.

Don’t get me wrong I’m far, IMO, from being an alcoholic or cock addict but I definitely have an unhealthy relationship with both.
Erm, you may wanna edit that quick...Or maybe not! :p

Blind-Faith

Yeah I always though I just had an un healthy relationship with alcohol, it crept up on me slowly! Doesn’t happen to everyone I know, just keep an eye on it. If your unable to put it down even for a day or two , probably more of a problem there than you realise

LastGarrison

Yeah I always though I just had an un healthy relationship with alcohol, it crept up on me slowly! Doesn’t happen to everyone I know, just keep an eye on it. If your unable to put it down even for a day or two , probably more of a problem there than you realise
Completely agree, although for me I have always only been a weekend drinker.

It is interesting though as I met my mate last week to walk the dogs and he mentioned him and his missus were cutting down as they had been drinking every evening for quite a while. My S-I-L mentioned to my missus she drinks every night and a couple of lads I work with have serious problems with drink.

I love a drink but I could never drink every day.

Kneeza

Fucked up tonight.
Just off to bed in the hope of getting some sleep for a change. I haven't been sleeping at at well for a while, so have decided to slip a few down in an attempt to 'relax' and hopefully get some shut-eye.
Fat chance I guess, but who knows?
Started with a can from the Beer52 box (the dragon's fault. She ordered it. And I'm sticking to that excuse...).
Then moved onto Jamesons and Southern Comfort. Feeling pleasantly mellow now, and reasonably confident of a few hours kip
We'll see.
Night!

Kneeza

25 days in and still dry. Thankfully my wife is also doing booze free January.

No drink, more exercise and sensible eating has seen me lose a stone this month.
Well done. I can go six weeks without a drink and not lose an ounce (without substituting other shit for it, before anyone says it. I just don't seem to be able to shift weight these days).

Brighton Sky Blue

Well done. I can go six weeks without a drink and not lose an ounce (without substituting other shit for it, before anyone says it. I just don't seem to be able to shift weight these days).

Yep, hardly drunk most of my life but gain weight like nobody’s business

Sbarcher

Never really been a home drinker. I've always thought it to be a social thing so apart from a few pints out with mates have been relatively sober now for many years. Pleased now never to have a shitty hangover writing off a Saturday or Sunday and at nearly 70 I'm sure my body will thank me for it!

Kneeza

Never really been a home drinker. I've always thought it to be a social thing so apart from a few pints out with mates have been relatively sober now for many years. Pleased now never to have a shitty hangover writing off a Saturday or Sunday and at nearly 70 I'm sure my body will thank me for it!
Can relate. Will be 68 this year and hangovers can be monstrous and last for days.
Happy to save them for special occasions ;)

It’sabatch87

Me and the Mrs still not had alcohol this month,Haven’t missed it tbh.
Better doing it with a partner imo.
Mind you our football club bring you close to drinking sometimes,Also nice waking up without a fuzzy head too!!

Users who are viewing this thread