Dry January (1 Viewer)

stay_up_skyblues

Will be 7 months sober Monday. 1 month off the booze? Completed it mate 👍😂

Great effort that mate. I’m four months tomorrow 👍🏻

Me and the Mrs are doing it,Heard good things about sleep patterns,Clearer skin and obviously the liver benefits,We weren’t enjoying it over Christmas/New year tbh.
Only had two cans of Heineken last night and was in bed asleep before midnight.
Worth a go I reckon.👍🐘

It’s all true. And there are loads of other benefits. The most obvious for me being about £1,800 saved and almost a stone lost (although granted I haven’t dared get on the scales post-xmas week yet 🤔).

Last edited:

It’sabatch87

Great effort that mate. I’m four months tomorrow 👍🏻

It’s all true. And there are loads of other benefits. The most obvious for me being about £1,800 saved and almost a stone lost (although granted I haven’t dared get on the scales post-xmas week yet 🤔).
So far so good,No getting up in the night for a piss either,I normally have a few cans after City win but was on pints of lime cordial.
Haven’t missed it so far tbh.😊👍

skyblue1991

Probably the first Sunday in bloody ages I have woken up fresh without a dop of alcohol the night before!

However shot myself in the foot by having a pint of Coca-Cola about 9pm last night and was wide awake at 1:30am this morning!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I went 2 years without drinking going on a decade ago and it definitely did make a difference in terms of physical health. Aiming to have a break until the end of March this year and see what happens from there.
I have a really addictive personality so can end up having a strange relationship with it.

EalingSB

With a combination of pubs shutting, stressful work periods and Cov playing every few days in December, I have noticed a tenancy to casually go to the fridge for a few cans more than I have ever done. So thought I would give dry January a go this year to see if it makes much of a difference.

Anyone taking part?

My wife has just finished a year off and is continuing it this year. I tried to show some solidarity and did 245 days without drinking which just exceeded my target of 20 days a month. However, before March I was travelling abroad at least twice a month with work and always drinking on those trips so lockdown helped. I use the TryDry app and it tots up calories and money saved. I saved over 36'000 calories compared to what I'd usually drink and around 1000GBP in 2020. Also tried to exercise more and shifted around a stone, going from 12'4 to under 11 at one point.

Great_Expectations

We were due to give this a go, as my partner feels as though she needs to lose weight following our second baby (she doesn’t), so I was happy to do it too to support her. I’m not a big home drinker, very very rarely drank at home, always prefer pub drinking, but as that hasn’t been a thing for most of the year I have drank more at home than ever before.

New Years Day we decided to have a cheese board to use up all the left over Christmas cheese (and usual accompaniments), which inevitably let to wine and port also being sampled.

Last night one of the Grandparents offered to have one of our daughters overnight which wasn’t planned, so we made the most of not having a 16 month running around and had a takeaway and a few drinks.

So all in all it isn’t going well!

Starting tomorrow though and looking forward to seeing the benefits. Before November I was barely drinking and exercising a lot and I really noticed the difference. I’m still exercising as much but also drinking, and have put weight on!

We also attempted Dry January last year and was all going so well until we found out we were having another baby and needed a drink to celebrate/process!

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’ve just seen dry January sat on a park bench drinking a bottle of frosty jack , even they’ve given up

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Never seen the fuss other to prove you aren’t a complete piss pot. A month is nothing
I don't think it's proving you're not a piss pot, it's more a reset. It's habit forming and a month is a good length of time to break the routine of say cracking open a beer when you finish work and also potentially repair any damage to your liver.

Blind-Faith

Never seen the fuss other to prove you aren’t a complete piss pot. A month is nothing
I am a complete piss pot. Once I start I can drink from the moment my eyes open to the moment they close, that’s not me bragging, it’s ridiculous, it takes over my life and takes everything from me. The word obsessed doesn’t even come close.

But I’m 7 months dry, I feel great, I have plans and ambitions for my life which aren’t just dreams, I’m actually doing something about it with actions. 7.5 months ago my only plan was to make sure I had 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of vodka delivered to my door by 10.30am as yesterday’s bottle of vodka is about to run out and I need to stop shaking so I can just about roll a cigarette and maybe shower if I’m lucky.

So us ‘piss pots’ as you say , aren’t all bad people ( not saying you called us that btw I just don’t like the term piss pot ) addiction is a truely truely horrible disease, doesn’t just effect the addict, it crushed my family and friends.

Anyway after tangenting off on a bit of a ramble, I would advise anyone to give it up for aslong as they can ( and I’m an ex publican so I go against the code lol ), the benefits are fantastic 😂

skyblue1991

Took all the alcohol on Friday and put it in the cupboard under the stairs

Give it a few hours and you'll see Harry Potter pissed up then!
b7ac4c0333e9815d3504a08a5848303b.jpg

bezzer

I'm doing it and dry Feb as well. Drank way too much in 2020 and piled on the pounds so going dry should kickstart the weight loss.

skyblueinBaku

Mcbean

I am 4 days in - just wish my wife would cut down it would help for her health - she doesn’t listen to me any more !

Great_Expectations

My partner - who I was doing it for - renegaded yesterday. Her justification was she had exercised a lot during the day and Gin is low calorie, as opposed to her usual glass of wine.

She’s an adult, so it’s her choice and as I was only really doing it for her I also had a Gin (for the same low calorie reason). Then the kids woke up before she’d even had a sip, she went upstairs to deal with one, while I had the other who fell straight back to sleep, allowing me to enjoy my gin.

So officially she’s still in Dry Jan and I’m not!

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t do any of the Dry Jan or Stoptober. I was more of a typical binge drinker at Uni, rarely having a casual beers.

I’ve got a few nice draft beers from Beer52 to enjoy during the Cov games over Jan!

hill83

I joke about stuff like this as I have in this thread, but it is something that destroys lives. My dad is totally fucked from it, he's just done a 3 week detox and is hopefully going into 3 month rehab within the next couple of weeks. I've not known my dad as a normal sober person for at least 15 years and I'm genuinely surprised he's still alive.

I love a beer and drink too much and it is something that worries me long term.

Mcbean

Thanks. He's not drank since 1st December, but he's started on the 0% lager now and that's how it escalated last time.
Hopefully that will act like a placebo - I am drinking something when I need something

jimmyhillsfanclub

I can't do dry January as the 1st, 2nd & 3rd were the final 3 of my 12 days of festive drinking to excess....

I am re-doubling my efforts to only drink 3 days/nights Fri-Sun......already got cravings & theres still booze in the house......no ale in though, so i should just hold out till friday afternoon.

Covkid1968#

Not for everyone but I’m finding that catching COVID has really helped with not drinking. I’m stuck in my fricking room till next Weds and neither the Mrs or the kids will leave a beer outside my door....I’ve only asked for Heineken 0% FFS

Blind-Faith

I joke about stuff like this as I have in this thread, but it is something that destroys lives. My dad is totally fucked from it, he's just done a 3 week detox and is hopefully going into 3 month rehab within the next couple of weeks. I've not known my dad as a normal sober person for at least 15 years and I'm genuinely surprised he's still alive.

I love a beer and drink too much and it is something that worries me long term.
Best of luck to all involved 👍

hill83

Update if anyone cares.

Went round my dads yesterday and he was cleaning his kitchen and had a Stephen king book on the go.

He wasn't even cleaning himself 6 weeks ago and I've not seen him read for about 15 years.

Kneeza

Not 'dry January' for me (daft concept), but I'm into one of my regular breaks from it as I've got to the point where I feel I need one. I generally drink freely for a few weeks, and then have a three or four week break from it.
Three days in now, and gagging for a bevvy! But I'll resist.

Kneeza

I can't do dry January as the 1st, 2nd & 3rd were the final 3 of my 12 days of festive drinking to excess....

I am re-doubling my efforts to only drink 3 days/nights Fri-Sun......already got cravings & theres still booze in the house......no ale in though, so i should just hold out till friday afternoon.

I occasionally try the weekend-only thing. Too tough though. I find a few weeks off at a time easier somehow. Understand why you do it though.

Users who are viewing this thread