Driverless cars in Coventry (1 Viewer)

Bill Glazier

I see the the government will be testing driverless cars in Coventry. Meanwhile we have a driverless club. Come on Joy, as they say in your parts, crap or get off the pot.

Nick

Administrator
I know that this is the time of year comedians bring out dvds but I won't be buying this one.

letsallsingtogether

I know that this is the time of year comedians bring out dvds but I won't be buying this one.

I know the one Highlights and Goals of CFCC 2014/2015 ;)

Maybe we could combine it with the Leicester highlights and goals should be good for 10 minutes worth of entertainment?

Godiva

Driverless cars is the future and it's closer than most think. The obvious advantage is safety - driverless cars avoids accidents. If that is not something that can persuade you to even consider owning a driverless car, then remember that you will be able to drink AND drive. Another benefit is you wont have to listen to your wife's constant complaints.

Driverless cars will also eliminate congestions as cars will move at same speed and much closer than traditional cars.

Oh, and driverless cars can go away and find a parking spot on its own and come back and pick you up when you want it - all controlled by an app on your phone.

lewys33

Isn't the project being led by MIRA? Which would explain why they will be tested around Coventry.

Covstu

Nah we just have brainless drivers in cars in Coventry, some fecking idiots on the road at the moment.

Skyblue4u

Driverless cars is the future and it's closer than most think. The obvious advantage is safety - driverless cars avoids accidents. If that is not something that can persuade you to even consider owning a driverless car, then remember that you will be able to drink AND drive. Another benefit is you wont have to listen to your wife's constant complaints.

Driverless cars will also eliminate congestions as cars will move at same speed and much closer than traditional cars.

Oh, and driverless cars can go away and find a parking spot on its own and come back and pick you up when you want it - all controlled by an app on your phone.

Don't worry there will be a new charge of " Drunk while keying in post code "

Even the cutting edge technology of Google won't get you safely through the Ring Road!

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Think they are already on our roads but they're actually vans not very good though one cut me and a couple of others up on the way to work this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The craziest thing about them is government legislation which prevents drunken folk from using them. Typical politician's thinking. I'd say of there was one group of folk you'd want in these things it'd be pissed people. Whereas thanks to legislation, it'll be sober people in them made even more safe, avoiding Stella-charged lunatics on their wobbly way back from the Oak and Black Dog in their D-reg Granadas....

Otis

I see the the government will be testing driverless cars in Coventry. Meanwhile we have a driverless club. Come on Joy, as they say in your parts, crap or get off the pot.

We already have driverless cars in Coventry, albeit, in our cases there actually is adriver, but he's slumped in the footwell with his cheek resting on the accelerator pedal and it the car just appears driverless.

duffer

If it would shut the missus up I'd buy one tomorrow. However this presupposes that my driving is the *only* thing that generates complaints.

Having said that, if my driverless car comes with a robot that can do DIY, mow the lawn, change nappies, take the rubbish out, and make well-thought out comments on the critical emotional issues of the day (other than football-related ones), then sign me up now! :)

Ashdown

Oh the wonderful joy of the modern world, I can hardly wait !!

Skyblueweeman

Nah we just have brainless drivers in cars in Coventry, some fecking idiots on the road at the moment.

It's the same wherever you are Stu. I'm working a lot from London at the moment and am commuting in and out nearly every day at the moment. Manners don't exist on the capitals roads!

wingy

If it would shut the missus up I'd buy one tomorrow. However this presupposes that my driving is the *only* thing that generates complaints.

Having said that, if my driverless car comes with a robot that can do DIY, mow the lawn, change nappies, take the rubbish out, and make well-thought out comments on the critical emotional issues of the day (other than football-related ones), then sign me up now! :)

Careful what you wish for Old boy ,here are the thoughts of Stephen Hawking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30290540

CovFan

140x200xandrewDRIVER.png.pagespeed.ic.mrnBuIJAQo.jpg

Otis

It's the same wherever you are Stu. I'm working a lot from London at the moment and am commuting in and out nearly every day at the moment. Manners don't exist on the capitals roads!

I'm in and out of London all the time too, weeman, but only use the tubes and buses. You're a brave man choosing the roads down there.

wingy

I see your Hawkings and raise you by one Isaac Asimov.

[video=youtube;AWJJnQybZlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJJnQybZlk[/video]

Good points .

Looks about 30-40 years ago though .

Things have moved on In AI, he sounds quite cautious IE;- applying safeguards ,some of the modern players seem to favour allowing the

technology to run free ,upgrading Itself.

ajsccfc

So, what's in the news this week. Have you seen this? Have you heard about this? Wow, what a terrific audience.

ajsccfc

'So I was in Joy's office and she was talking about signing Paul Hall, I think he's an international'

'Jamaica?'

'No, it was her idea'

Try the beef jerky!

shmmeee

Good post. I've been following this industry since the DARPA Grand Challenge was announced years ago. The next 15 years will be fascinating (unless you drive for a job, in which case start retraining).

Automation is coming in a big way in te coming decades. We are nowhere near ready politically for the social upheaval from the coming mass unemployment.

Exciting times.

letsallsingtogether

Driving over here is no problem just back from New York and fuck me that is an experience when the traffic is moving of course.

And I was only in a Taxi.

Astute

Not interested in driverless cars at all. I enjoy driving. And yes I do cover a lot of miles. One of my motors has covered 11,000 miles since half way through July. And it was off the road for a couple of these months getting an upgrade.

I prefer classic and modern classic cars. Much better than most of the boring looking cars they make these days. I never have, or never will have black, silver or white. More or less same shape. How do most people find their car in a big car park? Mine always stand out. I normally get more for my cars when I sell them than I pay for them. No losing 1,000's each year for me. I take one of them on track. Just treated wifey to a 2 seater MG for Xmas. Cost me a massive £900. She loves it. Insurance was a whole £156 :eek: First car we have had with a number in the middle.....as in present style.

My question would be what would happen to the cars I drive? Will I have driverless cars getting in my way all the time? Will they be clever enough to know to get out of my way? I will admit to not being a slow driver. But have now had a licence for over 30 years and have never had an accident. Have never made an insurance claim. Not even had any points on my licence although have been very lucky a few times :) Why should people like myself suffer for other idiots on the road that don't concentrate or are unable to drive competently?

You can keep your driverless cars. Sticking to speed limits all the time? It would nearly be as bad as having the wife drive on a long journey. I would find it too boring. Why do they try and wreck everything I enjoy?

ajsccfc

I hate driving, but I get nervous if I'm in a car my mum drives, never mind one that is controlled by THE CLOUD or a Commodore 64 or whatever. I'd prefer to retain control no matter how safe and reliable it is.

lewys33

I hate driving, but I get nervous if I'm in a car my mum drives, never mind one that is controlled by THE CLOUD or a Commodore 64 or whatever. I'd prefer to retain control no matter how safe and reliable it is.

I would love a "Track & Field" type button bash to get to the shops at 7mph.

ccfcway

dont know why the picked Coventry. Its not as if we have any experience of something being steered by absolutely no-one, not knowing where it is going

Users who are viewing this thread