Doyle Leaving? (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

He couldn't get close, because he was covering a much larger amount of ground this season, he hasn't had the legs to play like that for about 4 years - ask Portsmouth fans. Last season, tactically, we were very compact, and Doyle was able to be use his positioning, closing down and leadership skills to influence the game. This season, we are more expansive, and without Kelly next to him, Doyle hasn't got the legs to play in this system. And he wouldn't have last season either.

Last season he was a success, this year he is 'past it' or 'it's too much of a step up', but he still has the same attributes this season, we are just not playing to his strengths, and have exposed him in the middle.
He's been struggling to get out of his own half this season, he's not covering the ground he did last year

AJB1983

I think this season has been a bit harsh on Michael Doyle. He hasn't once played alongside Kelly, and it has left him exposed alongside Bayliss, or someone else less defensively minded. So it's hard to tell if it is in fact that League 1 is too much of a step up at his age, or if it's just case that he doesn't have the legs to play the holding position on his own, as even last season I think he would have struggled to do that in League 2.

I’m with you on this one - Kelly and Doyle in my view aren’t like for like players. They compliment each other. Personally I think Kelly is better a little bit more advanced. There was room for both of them last year as Bayliss played wide.

I certainly think he could have still done a job for us and there are a few things that have happened in matches when he’s not been in that I not think would have happened otherwise (Walsall away being one example).

I hope to see him back - Coventry is more than just a team on his CV for him....

nunchuckas

He's been struggling to get out of his own half this season, he's not covering the ground he did last year

He has had a lot more ground to cover though, we are playing with a larger gap in the middle between the defence and attack this season, with genuine wide players. If we had played like this last season, especially without Kelly next to him, Doyle would have looked past it then, too.

Nick

Administrator
He has had a lot more ground to cover though, we are playing with a larger gap in the middle between the defence and attack this season, with genuine wide players. If we had played like this last season, especially without Kelly next to him, Doyle would have looked past it then, too.

Which is why it was probably a good idea to let him go.

Do we really want to play a whole system around Doyle?

nunchuckas

Which is why it was probably a good idea to let him go.

Do we really want to play a whole system around Doyle?
Oh for sure, I fully understand that argument. Especially if we had been settign the world alight. I'm surprised we haven't tried Doyle and Kelly together at least once though, whilst we have been struggling the last few weeks.

My original point is just that is is harsh that last season he was 'a hero' and this season he is 'past it', when it is more to do with him being exposed by our tactics this season.

Nick

Administrator
Oh for sure, I fully understand that argument. Especially if we had been settign the world alight. I'm surprised we haven't tried Doyle and Kelly together at least once though, whilst we have been struggling the last few weeks.

My original point is just that is is harsh that last season he was 'a hero' and this season he is 'past it', when it is more to do with him being exposed by our tactics this season.

We are also in a higher league.

I have actually felt bad for him a few times when a player has got the ball, looked at him, gone round him and he tries to kick them but they have gone.

nunchuckas

We are also in a higher league.

I have actually felt bad for him a few times when a player has got the ball, looked at him, gone round him and he tries to kick them but they have gone.
I still think it's more the system. He did alright last season when we played Stoke and MK Dons (with an injury).

Nick

Administrator
I still think it's more the system. He did alright last season when we played Stoke and MK Dons (with an injury).

I was just talking when their player has the ball and just goes past him with ease. It's the same with how many times he gave the ball away or a hospital ball that they have then scored from.

Adge

Was punching well above his weight when he was with us in the Championship alongside Hughes in midfield which was a terrible combination and was glad when he was finally shown the door.
Wasn’t keen on him coming back but was an absolute warrior in helping us get up last year at the first attempt and certainly proved a few wrong. Don’t think we would of made it without him. Not a great footballer but I can’t think of another player who was as committed to the cause and gave more for the shirt than Doyle in all my years of watching Cov.
Good luck with the final hurrah at Notts Country and I hope he helps keep them up!

Grendel

He had one good season with us

stevefloyd

He was fantastic last season if not in footballing terms in pushing the team and battling for us, good luck to him in possibly his last season playing football. He proved a few wrong last season hope his swansong is a great one

Grendel

Ungracious. To quote the great Chas and Dave "There ain't no pleasing you"

Its hardly ungracious is it. He's kept himself fit and is clearly a model professional in terms of application. That cannot blur the fact that in the Championship he was never good enough. It works both ways as well as we helped in making sure he had such a long career in the game and we made him our highest paid player in the Championship.

NortonSkyBlue

Its hardly ungracious is it. He's kept himself fit and is clearly a model professional in terms of application. That cannot blur the fact that in the Championship he was never good enough. It works both ways as well as we helped in making sure he had such a long career in the game and we made him our highest paid player in the Championship.
Well he was certainly good enough to play so many games in our shirt. The 06 version of Michael Doyle, alongside Dennis Wise was good in my opinion.
Last year his leadership was the best I had seen since Terry Yorath as a captain.
A thank you would be kinder than dismissing his contribution to one good season.

clint van damme

Well he was certainly good enough to play so many games in our shirt. The 06 version of Michael Doyle, alongside Dennis Wise was good in my opinion.
Last year his leadership was the best I had seen since Terry Yorath as a captain.
A thank you would be kinder than dismissing his contribution to one good season.
Not just your opinion, Dennis Wises opinion as well.

vow

Wow, he seems down right sad in this interview re. joining Notts County or more so along the lines of leaving City, perhaps?
Anyhow, his remarks re. fan support, please take heed when thinking of slagging off players on the pitch as it don't fuckin help, cheers.

Captain Dart

That terrible Angry Michael Doyle account will hopefully fizzle out a bit now!
Its quite funny from time to time, but probably time for who ever runs it to close shop and come up with another parody idea.

Reactions: vow

Johnnythespider

I don't know why I remember it but I'm sure it went up like no 1 is Gary and number 2 is Gary Breen all the way up to 11 just stuck in my head

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Well it would after 11 times, in my earlier reply i meant that i didn't dream of a team of Gary Breens

Users who are viewing this thread