Doug on CWR (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Get players in early next season, a good competitive pre season schedule that isn't half our matches against non league / league 2 and we need to start well .. cheers

Mucca Mad Boys

Rob Gurney caught on mic at half time during the Brum game describing the calls as “reactive nonsense” was priceless.

Even this forum has the same temperament as a toddler at times. Euphoric when we’re winning and raging when we’re losing. One minute we’ve got a great team, the next it’s totally back to the drawing board.

skybluecam

Even this forum has the same temperament as a toddler at times. Euphoric when we’re winning and raging when we’re losing. One minute we’ve got a great team, the next it’s totally back to the drawing board.
SBT Wednesday 7:45pm: Absolute heroes the lot of them, whatever happens tonight I’m proud after Sunday

SBT Wednesday 10pm: Collins out, Thomas out, Kitching out, they’re shit bottlers

pusbccfc

Arguably without the cup run we’d have got into the playoffs but we’ll never know.

Play offs is no guarantee.

I the play offs last year but Wolves and United away surpassed even the Middlesbrough game for me.

I'd happily be a midtable Championship club for a while if you get those moments.

Mucca Mad Boys

SBT Wednesday 7:45pm: Absolute heroes the lot of them, whatever happens tonight I’m proud after Sunday

SBT Wednesday 10pm: Collins out, Thomas out, Kitching out, they’re shit bottlers

Exactly this. If anyone needs some perspective, always read Robins’ post match interviews.

They’re mostly spot on and he’s frank in his assessments. First, he knows we need more quality to get to the next level (needs to be down ‘sustainably’). Secondly, he’s acknowledged that our lack of depth has finally caught up with us. Just look at the amount of injuries we’ve had against Man U and Hull

I said sarcastically that as soon as I’d seen the team, I should’ve turned around… 😂

The Simms and Wright threads are good examples of this. Proper emotional roller coasters

Yep, first half of the season I got sick of people around me comparing them to Vik and how they’d have spent the money on a ‘proven championship striker’…🥱

Every year, the same people make out of pocket comments about players to get proven wrong (again) and the routine apology on SBT about how wrong they were.

It is nice that even when Wright or Simms make little mistakes, they’re encouraged now rather than moaned about.

I think criticism of Simms especially was valid earlier in the season. He was lethargic, off the pace and genuinely looked disinterested and lost. As the season has gone on he's shown us what he's capable of and in some way shown that the criticism was valid. He's so much more than he showed earlier in the season.

Wright though looked dangerous from the moment I saw him in the Leicester game and it was clear he just needed to settle into the new country and team to get him firing.

People claiming they're not good enough were wrong for sure, but some criticism was definitely justified at the time.

Balli001

Get players in early next season, a good competitive pre season schedule that isn't half our matches against non league / league 2 and we need to start well .. cheers
Every team from championship downwards plays lower division sides in pre season. Robins has often said he finds it nothing more than a fitness exercise. Not sure what the obsession with playing bigger teams is

Brighton Sky Blue

Every team from championship downwards plays lower division sides in pre season. Robins has often said he finds it nothing more than a fitness exercise. Not sure what the obsession with playing bigger teams is
Because if the games are all too easy then it isn’t much of a fitness exercise.

shmmeee

Wright and Simms did look fucking awful when they first started though. Neither looked like they’d seen a football before.

wingy

I'd take a friendly with MC if their still a draw by then, home of course!!

shmmeee

This is re-writing history to suit a narrative and forgive bedwetting earlier in the season. It's a massive oversimplification of what happened in the first few months. Not having it.

It’s not. Neither of them looked close to £8m strikers. They weren’t winning things in the air, weren’t using their bodies, first touch made Godden last night look like Messi.

It was probably all mental, first proper pro club, new to the country, but they genuinely were much much worse than they are now.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wright and Simms did look fucking awful when they first started though. Neither looked like they’d seen a football before.
Wright's very first contribution where he hit the crossbar against Leicester showed his quality. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but it may have been you who'd written him off based on his highlight reel where a comparison was made to Bakayoko.

messiahrobins

I don't think it's masked anything to be honest, we're quite a thin squad and always have been. Really if our first choice in a position isn't playing we don't have backup to the same standard.
Yes agree with that which is sort of what i meant as for some reason Doug didnt see the thin squad as an issue or surely he would have brought more in January, we didnt need to spend big as we just needed a fuller second string.

messiahrobins

Yes and no.

First things first, there has to be a mitigation that we just look leggy and don’t have the depth required to keep the team fresh.

However, looking at our results against the top half teams - it’s awful. Last season, we didn’t lose those big games and this season is the opposite. Therefore, we’re clearly lacking somewhere.

We’re close, and just need extra quality to take us up the table. Robins has said this countless times and it will come.
I feel we lack experience thats what hurt us. Losing Mcfadzean was a blow as i think had he been here, even if not playing regularly he would have helped Kitching and Thomas and maybe they would make less errors, i am pointing more of a finger at Kitching than Thomas, last night Thomas was just knackered and cannot blame him, but Kitching has made some big errors, Norwich first one comes to mind

SAJ

Yes agree with that which is sort of what i meant as for some reason Doug didnt see the thin squad as an issue or surely he would have brought more in January, we didnt need to spend big as we just needed a fuller second string.
How do you know Doug didn’t see it. They would have had targets. Sometimes for whatever reason it doesn’t come off. There is no point then panic buying someone. I would have thought all of our fans wouldn’t have wanted a repeat of what Mowbray did when we dragged in a few donkeys that just made us worse.

messiahrobins

How do you know Doug didn’t see it. They would have had targets. Sometimes for whatever reason it doesn’t come off. There is no point then panic buying someone. I would have thought all of our fans wouldn’t have wanted a repeat of what Mowbray did when we dragged in a few donkeys that just made us worse.
We didnt need to spend big, could have just got some teenage loan players from the PL perhaps to cover the positions we have no cover in.

Ccfcisparks

Wright's very first contribution where he hit the crossbar against Leicester showed his quality. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but it may have been you who'd written him off based on his highlight reel where a comparison was made to Bakayoko.
Lol he did. A few times too.

Users who are viewing this thread