Doug on CWR (2 Viewers)

Deity

That model works at any level as long as your talent sporting is excellent.

Hobo

And we always will unless we drop to L1. There doesn’t exist a financially sustainable model at this level.

I know but a lot of people seem to think the budget is just spent on players. Any extra revenue can just go on players.

Improving the support staff is equally important and I'm not just talking coaches.

Boicey

Doug and his backers remain a bit of a mystery. I think we know they haven’t the inclination or probably funds to invest, speculate.
So if we don’t get any further Gok money I think it will probably be a fairly low key summer of recruitment, certainly in terms of £££ quality signings.
Just hope we can get a decent keeper in the mix because I’ve had it with that flapping nonsense.

messiahrobins

"Showing we are back"

Are we?
Do you think the Cup run and wins over Leicester and Leeds possibly has masked some glaring issues in the side? losing 4 of the last 5 league games isnt great really for a club that says it is aiming for promotion next season

Skyblueweeman

There are day to day running costs, we are carrying debt and are running at a loss. Things might be going in the right direction but we are still running at a loss.
Don't disagree with any of that. But it's easy for people to think that the transfer fees received are the only revenue stream we have that's used to cover running costs and transfer fees.

As mentioned earlier, we've also got TV money, prize money, ST money, ticket revenue, merch sales, sponsorship money etc. All of this will help cover some/all of the day to running costs.

Deity

Correct. But the majority of clubs lose money each year. Doesn't stop them opening the cheque book.
It really does.

We were one of the highest spenders last summer by some distance ……

The only championship clubs who splash the cash are those that have been relegated from The premier League and have sold their best players and are building a team to go up OR like Cov those that are lucky enough to sell a superstar for big money …

Skyblueweeman

It really does.

We were one of the highest spenders last summer by some distance ……

The only championship clubs who splash the cash are those that have been relegated from The premier League and have sold their best players and are building a team to go up OR like Cov those that are lucky enough to sell a superstar for big money …
I guess I was thinking more of EPL teams but yeah, you're right.

That said, how long do parachute payments last - 3 seasons? That means, there's potentially 9 teams in the Championship still bringing in millions and likely spending to get back to 'the promised land'.

I can't be arsed to look back and check which teams in the current Championship still get parachute payments but I'm pretty sure there'll be a number of teams in the last few seasons who've lost money/are losing money and still spending on players.

messiahrobins

Doug and his backers remain a bit of a mystery. I think we know they haven’t the inclination or probably funds to invest, speculate.
So if we don’t get any further Gok money I think it will probably be a fairly low key summer of recruitment, certainly in terms of £££ quality signings.
Just hope we can get a decent keeper in the mix because I’ve had it with that flapping nonsense.
There is not going to be a big recruitment drive in the summer. Fans are being deluded. The players that come in and there will be a ST RW and a CB and if Sheaf goes a CM will all be young players to develop and make a profit on in the future. There will be now Wright type signing this summer.
We might get a new GK as clearly that position has let us down this season but i heard some clown on CWR text in saying we would get about 9 new players in. Utter nonsense.

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you think the Cup run and wins over Leicester and Leeds possibly has masked some glaring issues in the side? losing 4 of the last 5 league games isnt great really for a club that says it is aiming for promotion next season
Yes and no.

First things first, there has to be a mitigation that we just look leggy and don’t have the depth required to keep the team fresh.

However, looking at our results against the top half teams - it’s awful. Last season, we didn’t lose those big games and this season is the opposite. Therefore, we’re clearly lacking somewhere.

We’re close, and just need extra quality to take us up the table. Robins has said this countless times and it will come.

Deity

"Showing we are back"

Are we?
Yes without question.

Look back just 18 months ….

mid table championship club
Woeful training facilities
No real back room team
Selling assets on the cheap
Crowds always below 20k
Signings were free transfers or small undisclosed fees

Last 12 months
2 Wembley trips
Record season ticket sales
Crowds over 23,000 most matches
Multi million pound signings
Selling assets on our terms not on the cheap
Investment in Ryton
Professional back room set up

2 kicks away from either the Premier League or FA Cup final …..

Sick Boy

Yes without question.

Look back just 18 months ….

mid table championship club
Woeful training facilities
No real back room team
Selling assets on the cheap
Crowds always below 20k
Signings were free transfers or small undisclosed fees

Last 12 months
2 Wembley trips
Record season ticket sales
Crowds over 23,000 most matches
Multi million pound signings
Selling assets on our terms not on the cheap
Investment in Ryton
Professional back room set up

2 kicks away from either the Premier League or FA Cup final …..
….and still a midtable Championship club.

skybluecam

It’s exacerbated them through fatigue.

We were fucked as soon as Sakamoto got injured because we don’t have a good back up on the wing.

I don't think it's masked anything to be honest, we're quite a thin squad and always have been. Really if our first choice in a position isn't playing we don't have backup to the same standard.

shmmeee

Yes and no.

First things first, there has to be a mitigation that we just look leggy and don’t have the depth required to keep the team fresh.

However, looking at our results against the top half teams - it’s awful. Last season, we didn’t lose those big games and this season is the opposite. Therefore, we’re clearly lacking somewhere.

We’re close, and just need extra quality to take us up the table. Robins has said this countless times and it will come.

The squad is weak mentally. We’ve seen it a few times. That’s not all down to individuals, it takes time to build in a squad, but the drop off in form for our senior players (Moore/Fadz/Kelly/Godden) means we’ve lacked a lot of grit and experience this season. I’d like to see us get in some older pros at GK/CB/CM/ST who can support and back up the likes of Collins/Thomas/Eccles/Simms.

Deity

Personally I’d have preferred a proper go at the play-offs rather than a cup run. It was said earlier on CWR that King had asked Robins for a cup run- we didn’t have the squad for both.
Each to their own.

I loved Wolves away and Sunday and I’ll remember those times with my sons in 20 years time.

I won’t recall the season we nearly made the play offs.

djr8369

There is not going to be a big recruitment drive in the summer. Fans are being deluded. The players that come in and there will be a ST RW and a CB and if Sheaf goes a CM will all be young players to develop and make a profit on in the future. There will be now Wright type signing this summer.
We might get a new GK as clearly that position has let us down this season but i heard some clown on CWR text in saying we would get about 9 new players in. Utter nonsense.
Of all the calls and texts on CWR I wouldn’t class someone speculating we might bring 9 players in as nonsense compared to some of the drivel on there.

Mucca Mad Boys

Of all the calls and texts on CWR I wouldn’t class someone speculating we might bring 9 players in as nonsense compared to some of the drivel on there.

Tantrums ‘R’ Us when we lose a game. Often without thinking about the bigger picture or long term.

Sick Boy

Each to their own.

I loved Wolves away and Sunday and I’ll remember those times with my sons in 20 years time.

I won’t recall the season we nearly made the play offs.
Arguably without the cup run we’d have got into the playoffs but we’ll never know.

CCFCSteve

Don't disagree with any of that. But it's easy for people to think that the transfer fees received are the only revenue stream we have that's used to cover running costs and transfer fees.

As mentioned earlier, we've also got TV money, prize money, ST money, ticket revenue, merch sales, sponsorship money etc. All of this will help cover some/all of the day to running costs.

Agreed and this by all accounts is what Kings been keen to improve/maximise.

It’s impossible to comment with any certainty on how things are going on the financial side until the next accounts are filed. Those will be Kings CCFC accounts, as we all know the latest ones were still SISUs. Even they’ll be well out of date by then though

As long as we are reinvesting the cash from player sales into the team ie signings and wages, Im happy. To date I see no reason to believe this isn’t what’s happening

Merseyskyblue

If Doug didn’t want to put his hand in his pocket, then surely he wouldn’t have authorised the likes of the 7.5 million spend on haji. Surely he would’ve opted to hold back more of the budget in anticipation for future losses, or to use in other windows. I think we’ll spend a fair bit less this summer if Gyokeres doesn’t go, but I still reckon we could see a few 2-3 million pound signings.

long way home

If any fan doesn't think the club has improved since the arrival of Doug then they never will. The evidence is for everyone to see and its still very early in that process. If you see it but place it down to luck you will concentrate opinions on his personal investment rather than the improvement you know that you see.

Doug knew what he walked in on and knew the only thing holding it all together was Robins. He and Robins will have to work together and im sure Doug will squeeze every last penny he can out of any deal to help Robins get the squad he needs.

He wil also run the business right to try to drive the loss down. We have too have a solid foundation on and off the field and his role is to leave this club in a better place than he found it. At this minute i think if he walked today, the answer would be Yes we are in a better position and constantly improving. I don't really care if he is opening his own personal checkbook, in fact if he was id be worried

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Arguably we're still in a better position as a club as a whole, even if the league position isn't vastly different.

The foundations are in place. Or certainly a lot more solid than they once were.
I don't disagree but to think we're only a couple of signings away from being dead certs for play-offs and promotion next season is naive. I'd say we need 5-7 quality additions to the squad without having to sell further players to fund it.

Users who are viewing this thread