Doug on CWR (4 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

At this point I think he needs to invest some money in addition to reinvesting transfers fees for us to go up.
I'm not listening but I know he's invested in some of the off field stuff like the training ground.

And if we're making money from transfers, let's use that. We're trying to be self-sustaining after all.

We need the balance don't we - investment into the playing squad (ideally solely through using fees to bring in new players) without relying on an owner we're forever in debt to and who could call it in at any time.

Sick Boy

I'm not listening but I know he's invested in some of the off field stuff like the training ground.

And if we're making money from transfers, let's use that. We're trying to be self-sustaining after all.

We need the balance don't we - investment into the playing squad (ideally solely through using fees to bring in new players) without relying on an owner we're forever in debt to and who could call it in at any time.
I was under the impression most of the Hamer fee had gone on the running costs and the training ground development? I appreciate that if he hadn’t come in we likely would have sold Gyokeres and Hamer in January rather than the summer.

shmmeee

I was under the impression most of the Hamer fee had gone on the running costs and the training ground development? I appreciate that if he hadn’t come in we likely would have sold Gyokeres and Hamer in January rather than the summer.

If that’s the case then Doug has put over £15m into transfers.

Boicey

How do you know he’s invested his own money in the training ground?
And how much was invested anyhows?

Boicey

Doug has been quite a lucky owner so far inheriting a large windfall on Gok, Hamer sales.
This is where it will get tougher, unless he gets another Gok windfall. Will he put his hand in his own pockets a bit to speculate on building success and gates?
and we could do without a complete end of season collapse to help season ticket sales.

djr8369

I agree but if he’s going to set public targets like playoffs 3 times in 5 years with promotion in that time, we need more depth in the squad that will likely require investment rather than just reinvestment.
Not sure that’s true. We’ve improved gradually over several seasons developing and selling players. This season has seen a focus on facilities and back room staff which will hopefully pay dividends in the future. If we’re stagnant in 2 - 4 seasons I’ll agree.

Skyblueweeman

I don't the exact details but I'm pretty sure he's spent some of his own money. If the Hamer fee was going on running costs etc, then what has the ST money, merch sales, sponsorship, TV revenue etc been spent on.

I'm fairly confident that we'll have money to spend this summer, even if Vik doesn't move/Sheaf doesn't get sold.

Skyblueweeman

How do you know he’s invested his own money in the training ground?
And how much was invested anyhows?
Because I've heard it from a couple of sources. One of which I'm sure was one of his interviews...can't remember which one to be fair.

Robinshio

I don't the exact details but I'm pretty sure he's spent some of his own money. If the Hamer fee was going on running costs etc, then what has the ST money, merch sales, sponsorship, TV revenue etc been spent on.

I'm fairly confident that we'll have money to spend this summer, even if Vik doesn't move/Sheaf doesn't get sold.
we were running at a 7m loss - so over 2 seasons that would be the hamer money - then there were the 2 january signings
a couple of wembley trips and some extra ticket money aside we are probably reliant on the vik money to have a substantial budget for next season

Skyblueweeman

we were running at a 7m loss - so over 2 seasons that would be the hamer money - then there were the 2 january signings
a couple of wembley trips and some extra ticket money aside we are probably reliant on the vik money to have a substantial budget for next season
I guess we'll see come the summer.

I'm excited for that and next season.

Grendel

We are losing £7 million a year

Hobo

There are day to day running costs, we are carrying debt and are running at a loss. Things might be going in the right direction but we are still running at a loss.

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree but if he’s going to set public targets like playoffs 3 times in 5 years with promotion in that time, we need more depth in the squad that will likely require investment rather than just reinvestment.
3 times in 5 years - we’re not off target are we?

It’s not unreasonable to get some bodies in for next season and have a right go at playoffs with a flirtation of automatics.

We’ve achieved a lot this season and a lot of younger players will naturally develop and improve.

We have invested, but it’s short term thinking of ‘investment’ to you just means the playing staff. Our training facilities are ancient and there’s things to update at the CBS as well as the playing staff.

Hobo

3 times in 5 years - we’re not off target are we?

It’s not unreasonable to get some bodies in for next season and have a right go at playoffs with a flirtation of automatics.

We’ve achieved a lot this season and a lot of younger players will naturally develop and improve.

We have invested, but it’s short term thinking of ‘investment’ to you just means the playing staff. Our training facilities are ancient and there’s things to update at the CBS as well as the playing staff.

Agree. The club needs to grow on and off the pitch. The whole club was parked and left to idle under SISU. There is a lot of ground to make up.

shmmeee

There are day to day running costs, we are carrying debt and are running at a loss. Things might be going in the right direction but we are still running at a loss.

And we always will unless we drop to L1. There doesn’t exist a financially sustainable model at this level.

Deity

Yes there is it’s just the fans don’t like it.

You buy young talented players and sell them for more money a couple of years on . Brighton made £120m + last season.

There certainly isn’t a sustainable model if you expect to retain your best players …..

shmmeee

Yes there is it’s just the fans don’t like it.

You buy young talented players and sell them for more money a couple of years on . Brighton made £120m + last season.

There certainly isn’t a sustainable model if you expect to retain your best players …..

Brighton don’t play at this level.

Users who are viewing this thread