Double decker crash (1 Viewer)

urbanbushmonkey

Been going around Facebook that the driver swerved out of the way of a pedestrian who ran across the front of the bus. Anyone know if this is true?

Otis

So sad.

RIP to the two who died and I hope the little girl who is seriously ill makes a full and speedy recovery.

Macca

No comment, I might misspeak.
CQbEWWDW8AERaub.jpg

When, what time was the tweet?

Otis

When, what time was the tweet?
Well that was what I was thinking.

There's a well known phrase 'Being sent to Coventry,' so when the tweet was made is very relevant.

If this tweet was made before the incident then this is a non-story and the bloke is just saying that England should be sent to Coventry.

Could be the tweet was deleted as soon as they heard about the Coventry bus crash.

The timing is everything here.

Otis

Right. Wasn't sure if this was when the tweets were made, or when the tweets were screen shot.

Could also be of course that the tweeter was unaware of the bus crash at the time of the tweet and found out after.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Ian1779

Right. Wasn't sure if this was when the tweets were made, or when the tweets were screen shot.

Could also be of course that the tweeter was unaware of the bus crash at the time of the tweet and found out after.

I think this was the case... Commenting on a poor performance in the rugby without being aware of what happened. Looks like profuse apologies followed

Macca

I just think that sometimes in this day and age people want to on the attack straight away. It's a coincidence but the excuse is feasible. it's more than possible that if you have been immersed in a sporting event that you might be unaware of a bus crash

Nick

Administrator
The guy didn't say send to coventry he said divert to. The sent to coventry stuff is a back track...

Maybe he didn't know people had died, but it was a lame joke about the crash.

Otis

The guy didn't say send to coventry he said divert to. The sent to coventry stuff is a back track...

Maybe he didn't know people had died, but it was a lame joke about the crash.
Not so sure, Nick.

It was the England bus he was talking about. Divert it to Coventry.

Not so sure at all this relates to the Coventry bus tragedy.

Let's not quite hang the guy out to dry just yet. It would be incredible if he did try to make a joke out of people dying and doing so just after the incident occurred.

Find that very hard to believe. Incredibly insensitive if true.

Grendel

Not so sure, Nick.

Let's not quite hang the guy out to dry just yet. It would be incredible if he did try to make a joke out of people dying and doing so just after the incident occurred.

One suspects he didn't know people had died - however, it's highly likely it referred to the incident.

Nick

Administrator
Not so sure, Nick.

Like I.said maybe he just thought a bus had crashed into Sainsburyss.

He didn't say send it to coventry he said divert it to, so how can he say it's because of the saying send it to coventry when he didn't use it?

Otis

One suspects he didn't know people had died - however, it's highly likely it referred to the incident.
But looking at the story, it was suggested two people had died pretty much from the off, so I would say it was highly likely he WOULD know that.

Otis

Like I.said maybe he just thought a bus had crashed into Sainsburyss.

He didn't say send it to coventry he said divert it to, so how can he say it's because of the saying send it to coventry when he didn't use it?
He doesn't have to use it to actually refer to it.

Everyone would know what he meant.

Nick

Administrator
He doesn't have to use it to actually refer to it.

Everyone would know what he meant.
I think most.did know what he meant because there had just been a bus crash there. :(

If somebody said to me that something should be diverted to coventry, it doesn't instantly spring to mind that's what they mean. Unless there's just been a plane crash here and they are talking about a plane full of people they were unhappy about being diverted here.

I'm not hanging him out to dry, just don't see why he's bullshitting and back tracking about it. Just apologise.

Otis

I think most.did know what he meant because there had just been a bus crash there. :(

If somebody said to me that something should be diverted to coventry, it doesn't instantly spring to mind that's what they mean. Unless there's just been a plane crash here and they are talking about a plane full of people they were unhappy about being diverted here.

I'm not hanging him out to dry, just don't see why he's bullshitting and back tracking about it. Just apologise.
Well, if he did mean that, then yes.

Just saying he doesn't have to use the actual words 'sent to Coventry.'

If when England were losing badly last night someone had tweeted 'Susan Boyle has just taken to the stage and burst into song, people would know they meant 'it's not over until the fat lady sings' and now she's singing.

It was suggested from the very off that 2 people had died when the crash happened, so you would have to think if he knew of the crash, he would know 2 people died. And if so, that is a pretty sick thing to say.

stupot07

I can't believe that he knew about the crash when he tweeted that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Brighton Sky Blue

If when England were losing badly last night someone had tweeted 'Susan Boyle has just taken to the stage and burst into song, people would know they meant 'it's not over until the fat lady sings' and now she's singing.

It was suggested from the very off that 2 people had died when the crash happened, so you would have to think if he knew of the crash, he would know 2 people died. And if so, that is a pretty sick thing to say.

Then he could have said 'let's send the England team to Coventry'. It is at best a very poor choice of words which is why he quickly covered his tracks as I highly doubt he meant 'let's not talk to any of them'.

henry the wasp

Only the cov telegraph were talking about deaths i think? I kept looking on the bbc and sky websites and they mentioned only injuries until after 11. I actually thought the cov telegraph were a bit out of order at the time seeing as people were trying to contact relatives.
Why did he have to mention sending the england bus to coventry? The tweet he was replying to was "Taxi for england".
Anyway. Terrible for all involved.

Otis

Only the cov telegraph were talking about deaths i think? I kept looking on the bbc and sky websites and they mentioned only injuries until after 11. I actually thought the cov telegraph were a bit out of order at the time seeing as people were trying to contact relatives.
Why did he have to mention sending the england bus to coventry? The tweet he was replying to was "Taxi for england".
Anyway. Terrible for all involved.
Yeah Terrible.

Thing is these days, anything released 'locally' is still out there in the big wide world. You have to remember that the CT is part of the Mirror group.

I thought they did jump the gun a bit quickly there, but as soon as it was put up it was there for the whole world to see.

I am going to town today, but unlike many a ghoul, I won't be passing by Sainsbury's to give the scene a big nosy gawp.

No doubt some will be bringing a deck chair and picnic though.

Hate to see people just hanging around, not out of concern but just out of morbid curiosity and to film stuff to put on Facebook etc.

Otis

But you would need to remove it anyway, for either reason wouldn't you. One for realising it was bad taste and two, for realising there was a bus crash you didn't previously know about.

Otis

His explanations seem perfectly rational to me and he IS saying it was in the reference to the saying 'sent to Coventry.'

Otis

Anyway, time to focus back onto the tragedy and work out what happened.

wingy

Few Issues to think about.
Road works In the vicinity.
Third or fourth revision around that Junction since It became free space.
Parked cars In the vicinity, Is that allowed the days.
I have to say the arrangements down there and many many changes all around. Pool Meadow since the construction. Of Whittle Arches and creation of Millennium square create confusion.
Extremely sad for all those mourning loss of loved ones.
It's a lottery how these random events happen, such as how a bus to Leamington and Stratford Is routed that way or had It been a single decker the poor boy may have survived.
RIP.

Otis

Always said having that pedestrian crossing there was asking for trouble. It's just after the bend and I've been across it a few times and always thought it could prove dangerous.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Without knowing the facts it's difficult to point blame.

However, these 'open spaces' that have no traffic calming / pedestrian safety measures have surely played a part? Unfortunately it's not the first time someone has lost a life near one of them.

Hopefully Stagecoach have CCTV fit to their busses like Coventry Travel / National Express Coventry do which will help detectives get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Kind of resembles the Glasgow Bin Lorry tragedy.

Last edited:

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Few Issues to think about.
Road works In the vicinity.
Third or fourth revision around that Junction since It became free space.
Parked cars In the vicinity, Is that allowed the days.
I have to say the arrangements down there and many many changes all around. Pool Meadow since the construction. Of Whittle Arches and creation of Millennium square create confusion.
Extremely sad for all those mourning loss of loved ones.
It's a lottery how these random events happen, such as how a bus to Leamington and Stratford Is routed that way or had It been a single decker the poor boy may have survived.
RIP.

As I am an ex bus driver.

Stagecoach use the City Centre as it cheaper to use - Network West Midlands (Formally Centro, Formally W.M.P.T.E.) charge bus companies to use Pool Meadow.
Now Broadgate is closed bus operators use Trinity Street/ Burges as this is more central for shopping.
Customers prefer Trinity Street to Pool Meadow.

This Leamington bus departs (Terminus) from one of the 2 bus stop outside the transport museum. Other Leamington buses depart from Trinity Street.

Stagecoach have confirmed;
"Stagecoach Midlands
The Stagecoach Midlands bus was the 17.33, X18 service from Coventry to Leamington"

This bus will have been fitted with high definition cameras.
usually 4 outside, one on each side of the bus.
at least 2 if not 3 in the cab. one aimed at the driver, one aimed at the cash box.
at least one on each floor of the bus, may be more.
There are also sensors recording pressure applied to the brakes and accelerator.

We found al this out when one of my colleges was involved in incident.
A driver slammed on his brakes to avoid a small dog.
a passenger was standing up ready to get off at the next stop, when the driver slammed on his brakes to avoid the dog.
"The passenger went down like a sack of spuds" the driver said.
Witnesses (passengers on the bus) afterwards said their was no dog and that the driver slammed on his brakes on purpose.
The passenger was sent to hospital in an ambulance with a sprained wrist.

The driver was then called for a disciplinary.
The dog was captured on the camera, the driver was shocked at how much information was collected on "The Black Box Recorder" his braking pressure was displayed.
But he was glad as this information cleared him from a possible sacking especially as the no witnesses saw the reason for his actions.

R.I.P

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

Always said having that pedestrian crossing there was asking for trouble. It's just after the bend and I've been across it a few times and always thought it could prove dangerous.

Walked past the scene earlier, it is pretty obvious from the road layout and the place where the bus hit the canopy that the driver had started his turn. It is not as if he had sailed straight on. There are lots of Taxi's in a rank on the right hand side of the road where he came from, did the bus hit any of them? On the left there are lots of road works, the part of Hales St connecting to Fairfax St is completely closed & fenced off, as far as I've heard none of the works fences was hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread