Don't know if this has been mooted at all (1 Viewer)

Otis

But has everyone considered that these kids who were not ready for the Championship (at least for many, many games back to back and constant inclusion) may also not be ready for League One?

Seems to me that there is going to be even more onus on them next season than there has been this.

Trouble is too, this season we didn't expect too much from them, but next season AT will be aiming for the play-offs for sure (bearing in ind he targeted mid-table this) and there's an awful lot of City fans who are expecting us to be a lot more competitive next season and therefore the expectation upon the kids will be greater than it has been this season.

We will expect them to be a little more experienced, a little more battle hardened and to see a little bit more improvement in their game etc.

Just thinking that there may well be more pressure on them to perform next season and they won't quite be the fish out of water that they were this year.

Expectation from many within a lower league will be greater than this season and therefore the kids won't be as free from the pressure to perform as they have been these last 9 months.

Anyone else concerned? The other thing that worries me is that if we do struggle badly again next season, just what will that do to these young players' development?

AFCCOVENTRY

Even some of our better kids should not be playing regularly in the first team yet.

We have entered the U21 leagues next season and that is where they need to be learning. It will be good in the long term they have this league to compete in.

However, we need a brand new team of league hardened players. If that doesn't happen the kids will suffer more.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Clarke and Hussey will excel in league 1
Gael and Thomas should be able to stand their ground in league 1 and be good squad players, still would only want them to player ideally in only half of the games. Maybe about 10-15 starts each + sub appearances.
I doubt any other of the players will be ready to play at that level tbh but there might be a surprise.

Diehard Si

You see I still consider the likes of Clarke and Christie to be youngsters, although for us they are more like seasoned veterans.

We need to build a team around a few 'rocks', some experienced heads. Someone like Kevin Philips up front, Keogh at the back and a few more. The youngsters can get some experience learning from these guys, but with some of the strain and responsbility taken off them.

Brighton Sky Blue

Saints fans think we'll bounce straight back, Wednesday fans are telling us to expect a rough ride. To be honest, it all depends very much on what happens at boardroom level in the summer-the kids can't do it all by themselves and we desperately need some depth to the squad if we wish to meet the high expectations that are being set. Very talented group but without reinforcements from experienced players we will not last the distance.

AFCCOVENTRY

One of the first things Saints did once relegated to L1 was to sign Rickie Lambert.

Sign a 25+ goals a season man and you have a chance....

Macca

Interesting point. What age is old enough now. I mean for the very best it doesn't t seem to matter

Delboycov

Maybe it's the drink talking but I think if we can keep the best of the youngsters they really could make a name for themselves in League 1. Shitsu took credit for "integrating the academy into the 1st team" and whilst this was akin to Gerald Ratner claiming credit for getting publicity for calling his jewellery crap, in the long run I think it will stand the club in good stead.

Delboycov

Maybe it's the drink talking but I think if we can keep the best of the youngsters they really could make a name for themselves in League 1. Shitsu took credit for "integrating the academy into the 1st team" and whilst this was akin to Gerald Ratner claiming credit for getting publicity for calling his jewellery crap, in the long run I think it will stand the club in good stead.

*footnote* I am completely wasted though!

theprince

We need a minimum of 4 established players added to our current squad and that is if nobody leaves. It looks to me Cranie, Clingan, probably Wood, possibly Keogh and then there's 34 year old Clive Platt could all leave that means if they do we need 5 more to come in aswell. We have no money, we don't even have any assurance from our owners they will bankroll that, infact at the moment we can't sign anybody or even offer a new contract to any player here or not. A grim situation.

kingharvest

They're still young an inexperienced. I think one reason we've struggled is because although they're talented, they're not big or strong enough yet. League 1 is gonna be more physical than the championship.

We can play football but we will desperately need some experienced players, some more bite in key areas and most importantly - some sort of genuine attacking threat.

Having now started to look at the standard of football in Div 1 I am concerned at how well our better young platers will be able to perform next season. None of them are overly blessed with pace or power and ordinary players in this league seem to have both in abundance. They may not have the skill and finesse of our youngsters, but it is a bruising league!

Yorkshire SB

Didn't get to the match today, but obviously watched it on the BBC. Find myself agreeing with many of the comments, talented group, but not got the physical edge. However I do have room for optimism.
Next year we need to stabilise and find our feet in League 1. Would love us to get promotion, but personally I'd be surprised. Looking towards the younger players, I like Clarke and Thomas a lot. Clarke looks classy, even in the Championship I think he looks very adept, next season I think he could be sensational! The very nature of Thomas' position makes it harder as a younger player, physically very demanding, but he's talented, give him another season of experience then I think he could show real ability. Bigi to me is an enigma. In the entire squad I think he has more technical ability then all of them put together, but I don't see enough arrogance about him. I appreciate off the field it isn't the best attribute, but I'd like to see him more vocal, trying to dictate the play, demanding the ball off his team mates. I hope that he gets more confidence and it comes but I'm still unsure.
I look at Lallana at Soton, highly rated for a few years, nonetheless after a couple of years in League 1 he found his feet and has taken the championship by storm. I would love to see someone at Cov follow suit. Relegation is a terrible thing for any club, but for some players it will give them an opportunity to improve, as opposed to just having to 'do a job'.
Finally if these players do progress as hoped, League 1 is enough to put Premier League clubs off.

Users who are viewing this thread