Dogecoin (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 4439

Thanks mate, I was thinking just the odd g here and there when I have a few quid lying around, not thousands.

Would you say that's not worth it? Reading above would suggest as much.

So, I am no more a visionary than the next person, but I do believe the gold story, that over the LT is has always proved itself to be a hedge, that currently it's trading well below its historical correlation with money supply growth, and that everybody should have at least some gold for those dystopian times. Even those who aren't gold bugs would advise always having some gold if you can, and if you think you won't have to fall back on it short term.

The premiums are so tasty on anything less than 1oz, you have to accept that it is indeed a LT investment. To compare, from Atkinsons, 1 oz Britannia at pixel time is 1398 whereas two half Brintannia's would cost you 1470.

That said, there's never a good time to time a market. A half Britannia will get you started, and then you can see how you feel about it from there. So, if you are happy about keeping it for at least 10 years, now's a good time as any.

Be warned though, one day you might find yourself counting through your gold like the man in his castle.

edit. As said, Atkinsons are value for 1oz Brits, Gold uk look cheaper for 1/2 Brits.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4439

If it's only a few quid and you don't mind losing it then just let it ride.

Question is, is the bouncing cat alive or dead? Musk seems to have propped up sentiment again.

Greggs

No idea just gambling and know fek all about it but took a punt after reading on here.
Never a good idea bro, always do your dd and know where your money is going. Crypto will go back up, its an extremely volatile market.

Greggs

So, I am no more a visionary than the next person, but I do believe the gold story, that over the LT is has always proved itself to be a hedge, that currently it's trading well below its historical correlation with money supply growth, and that everybody should have at least some gold for those dystopian times. Even those who aren't gold bugs would advise always having some gold if you can, and if you think you won't have to fall back on it short term.

The premiums are so tasty on anything less than 1oz, you have to accept that it is indeed a LT investment. To compare, from Atkinsons, 1 oz Britannia at pixel time is 1398 whereas two half Brintannia's would cost you 1470.

That said, there's never a good time to time a market. A half Britannia will get you started, and then you can see how you feel about it from there. So, if you are happy about keeping it for at least 10 years, now's a good time as any.

Be warned though, one day you might find yourself counting through your gold like the man in his castle.

edit. As said, Atkinsons are value for 1oz Brits, Gold uk look cheaper for 1/2 Brits.
rough doubling of value over 10 years? Is that your estimate?

D

Deleted member 4439

rough doubling of value over 10 years? Is that your estimate?

Depends what you mean by value, what are you measuring it against, the US dollar?

If the correlation to the money supply is your measure then could be more than double (not simply the same as over the last 10 years).

If the possible point or concern is that gold is a 'poor' investment, then in terms of more risky assets then of course it doesn't compare. It's a historically a good hedge against expected monetary inflation (rather than actual inflation or expected commodity inflation) and an asset that can be liquified during bear markets, so the time frame is all important.

For me, as a single person with no dependents but with siblings, it holds an additional attraction.

If anybody thought I was suggesting you hold anything other than a small part (5%) of your liquid and semi-liquid investments in gold, then that would be a wrong interpretation.

clint van damme

just topped up my ADA while the price has dipped. It's the only one I'm going to touch at the moment.

D

Deleted member 4439

just topped up my ADA while the price has dipped. It's the only one I'm going to touch at the moment.

It'll soon be back to where it was, across the boards. But I do wonder, however, if it's the start of a downwards trend, for now at least.

Greggs

Depends what you mean by value, what are you measuring it against, the US dollar?

If the correlation to the money supply is your measure then could be more than double (not simply the same as over the last 10 years).

If the possible point or concern is that gold is a 'poor' investment, then in terms of more risky assets then of course it doesn't compare. It's a historically a good hedge against expected monetary inflation (rather than actual inflation or expected commodity inflation) and an asset that can be liquified during bear markets, so the time frame is all important.

For me, as a single person with no dependents but with siblings, it holds an additional attraction.

If anybody thought I was suggesting you hold anything other than a small part (5%) of your liquid and semi-liquid investments in gold, then that would be a wrong interpretation.
Not bashing, mate. I think it's a good idea.

D

Deleted member 4439

Not bashing, mate. I think it's a good idea.

Sorry, I'd already try to tweak my post because I suddenly realised I was being a bit over sensitive, so, sorry, and thank you.

As said, Gold won't make you rich (well not unless the US dollar loses its current status), but I do think everybody should have a little under the cupboard*

*To those that might have an interest, I do not keep my gold under the cupboard :)

Greggs

Sorry, I'd already try to tweak my post because I suddenly realised I was being a bit over sensitive, so, sorry, and thank you.

As said, Gold won't make you rich (well not unless the US dollar loses its current status), but I do think everybody should have a little under the cupboard*

*To those that might have an interest, I do not keep my gold under the cupboard :)
I will certainly do some research. My holdings need a bit of a risk evaluation as i'm a bit top heavy with speculative and tech. Thanks for the info

clint van damme

It'll soon be back to where it was, across the boards. But I do wonder, however, if it's the start of a downwards trend, for now at least.

I thing there has to be a thinning out sooner or later, there are definitely real world uses for crypto coins but I'm not sure we need the amount there are or the novelty ones like ASS and Doge.
But I'm a novice so could be completely wrong and more than likely will be.

Worth noting that Bitcoin dived this time last year, (to 9k USD), and recovered pretty spectacularly though this time the crash seems to be based on something more substantial (the Chinese government statement on crypto), than just being volatile for the sake of it.

robbiekeane

Worth noting that Bitcoin dived this time last year, (to 9k USD), and recovered pretty spectacularly though this time the crash seems to be based on something more substantial
It’s sentiment though. The fundamentals haven’t changed.

I mean what the fuck do I know I’ve just lost $000s worth of Crypto in the last week 😂 but I believe it’s the future so let’s see. Not had the guts to buy any more at this price though just in case.

Greggs

It’s sentiment though. The fundamentals haven’t changed.

I mean what the fuck do I know I’ve just lost $000s worth of Crypto in the last week 😂 but I believe it’s the future so let’s see. Not had the guts to buy any more at this price though just in case.
bro, you had the guts to buy at a higher price...so why not now?

D

Deleted member 4439

I don't think there many that doubt that crypto has a future, it's more whether a crypto can have value outside of state control. Personally, I think the greater chances are that the likes of bitcoin will be regulated out of sight and return to being the exchange method of choice for the underworld. China has sent out a strong signal today that will make the large institutions thin twice about their exposure. Against also a backdrop of increasing volatility in the market - there will be a correction this year - then I think the tide is against bitcoin as it stands. However, increasingly we seem to be in a time of black swan events, and us mere mortals can only choose what river we swim in, or not.

covmark

......or just invest in something a little bit more reputable. But each to their own :)
Yeah, I'll be honest. I pumped a bit in earlier in the year, but decided I knew fuck all about it and withdrew it, at a small profit.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

rob9872

The way I've decided to look at it, is I think I know about football yet I have approx £50 acca every Saturday and rarely win. I know nothing about this, but I'm going to treat it the same and give up the accas.

£50 a week in have sone fun watching them go up and down and spread my money across 5 or 6 funds. Hopefully one of them will end up with a lunar landing, but if it doesn't then no harm done and the chances are even if it fails my £2.5k will still have some monetary worth, probably more than the bets I have anyhow.

dutchman

The price of Dogecoin (DOGE-USD) spiked on Thursday, before retreating slightly, after Tesla (TSLA) founder Elon Musk again posted his support for it on social media.

The cryptocurrency climbed as high at $0.40 (£0.28) from lows of $0.29 earlier in the day after a brutal sell-off on Wednesday.

Musk tweeted: “How much is that Doge in the window?”, with a picture of the Shiba Inu dog from the “doge” meme, from which the coin takes its name and logo, on a dollar bill.

It comes just hours after the cryptocurrency market plummeted into the red, shaking investor confidence.

mrtrench

The price of Dogecoin (DOGE-USD) spiked on Thursday, before retreating slightly, after Tesla (TSLA) founder Elon Musk again posted his support for it on social media.

The cryptocurrency climbed as high at $0.40 (£0.28) from lows of $0.29 earlier in the day after a brutal sell-off on Wednesday.

Musk tweeted: “How much is that Doge in the window?”, with a picture of the Shiba Inu dog from the “doge” meme, from which the coin takes its name and logo, on a dollar bill.

It comes just hours after the cryptocurrency market plummeted into the red, shaking investor confidence.

It's a farce isn't it? That thousands of people can make or lose a fortune on whatever a single man tweets.

mrtrench

I know theres' plenty of these things around on YT but I thought it was interesting, if not startling.

I sold off about 50% of my equity positions about 4 weeks ago - just from looking at how toppy the Dow Jones was. Moved as much as I could to cash and to a bond fund in my pension where cash isn't an option. Bonds are not ideal as I think inflation is coming - I won't say why to avoid triggering some. But I'd rather be in bonds than equities. I see a 10% or more fall coming at some stage soon.

D

Deleted member 4439

I'd been about 80 per cent cash for quite some time but that's more about being generally risk adverse and not having sufficient targets. I got a bit bored so I've probably now got more bets riding than I would like, but still at 50%. Never going to be a perfect time for things but whilst not necessarily a crash I think that as we come out of covid the world will have some reckoning to do. 50-50 seems a good position to me.

robbiekeane

I sold off about 50% of my equity positions about 4 weeks ago - just from looking at how toppy the Dow Jones was. Moved as much as I could to cash and to a bond fund in my pension where cash isn't an option. Bonds are not ideal as I think inflation is coming - I won't say why to avoid triggering some. But I'd rather be in bonds than equities. I see a 10% or more fall coming at some stage soon.
I'd been about 80 per cent cash for quite some time but that's more about being generally risk adverse and not having sufficient targets. I got a bit bored so I've probably now got more bets riding than I would like, but still at 50%. Never going to be a perfect time for things but whilst not necessarily a crash I think that as we come out of covid the world will have some reckoning to do. 50-50 seems a good position to me.
sorry for the dumb question but when you say 80% cash you just mean liquid funds in an easy access account?

D

Deleted member 4439

In my case, I meant 80% of that part of my assets that I have put aside for investing, collectively held in an investment isa and a sipp, not 80% of all liquid/semi-liquid savings. So I just mean that across my investment isa and sipp, I currently have about 50% invested and 50% waiting to be invested.

mrtrench

sorry for the dumb question but when you say 80% cash you just mean liquid funds in an easy access account?

I just sold positions and am holding cash in my broker account... which pays no interest. Sat waiting for the fall I expect to happen and to reinvest.

D

Deleted member 4439

Bitcoin - we're coming after you? Om the one hand they want to regulate, on the other a state coin would run alongside. mmm.

Users who are viewing this thread