Does it matter what happens to CCFC? (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

lets be honest here what have we got to cheer about.. apart from 87 not a single top 6 finish for 40 years .. no we shouldn't care what happens but we are basically down to the last 6000 that do .. the last 2 times we got relegated we all thought we might finally start winning regularly..but alas another false dawn.. until we finally start delivering on the pitch fewer and fewer wont care less... until we finally appear in a milk advert of our own in 30 years time

Accrington Stanley! Who are they?

chiefdave

I used to get upset for at least a few hours if we lost a game. If it was a big game it could even have lasted a couple of days.

I'm exactly the same. I think its partly down to the fact that I now have no expectation or hope of anything getting better. These days I tend to get more frustrated at the business and politics side of things as until those issues are resolved there isn't really a successful path forward on the football side.

boatang

What are these "big games"?
I am old enough to remember 20 years in the top flight, beating the best teams in the country (occasionally), seeing on the pitch the players on the back pages of the nationals. I have these memories to keep me going sometimes still.
I feel for those around 20 years old who never had this. What "big games" have they had? Two or three cup games in the last 10 years.
There are no glory hunting Cov fans, if they were glory hunters, they would have found some excuse to follow Man U, Man City, etc etc.
I think it is mostly people my age and older who use criticize people who only go to "big games", maybe they should appreciate just how little glory the younger fans (younger can mean 30!) have actually had.

italiahorse

Yes, my point being that even though you spout all the crap about not caring, never going again etc etc you do care......

Never said I don't care.
I will always support but like a lot of others I'm moving slowly from supporting at matches to just looking for the result in the Sunday papers.
Everybody in between is still a fan and can give their thoughts on CCFC.
You don't stop supporting CCFC just because you emigrate you know !!

Samo

I must admit I have been plagued by a persistent nagging thought of late... why not just bail out? Do I really need this hugely negative influence in my life? It's easier said than done of course but its like any other relationship isn't it? If its awful for long enough you get up one day and say 'you know what, this is not working for me anymore, I want out' There are other things to do, other interests to explore that actually might enhance my life.
I can't be alone in thinking this I'm sure and the club is in grave danger of losing its most loyal customers. Supporting CCFC is not good for you're mental health!

skybluetony176

I must admit I have been plagued by a persistent nagging thought of late... why not just bail out? Do I really need this hugely negative influence in my life? It's easier said than done of course but its like any other relationship isn't it? If its awful for long enough you get up one day and say 'you know what, this is not working for me anymore, I want out' There are other things to do, other interests to explore that actually might enhance my life.
I can't be alone in thinking this I'm sure and the club is in grave danger of losing its most loyal customers. Supporting CCFC is not good for you're mental health!

We don't usually see eye to eye but that's a great post and sum's up my feelings exactly.

(edit) just to add, it also goes to show that it doesn't matter where or how you think it went wrong or who carries the most blame. The net result is the same. A disappearing fan base.

Last edited:

italiahorse

You will always support one way or another.
Just pursue other leisure activities as well so your weekend is not over once we loose.

chiefdave

I think the same and to be honest if there was a switch you could flick and not be a supporter anymore I'd probably have flicked it by now. When I think of the amount of time and money I have spent on the club in nearly 30 years and look at what I've got in return in terms of enjoyment I'm definitely not getting the good end of this deal. It's very hard to go from supporting to not supporting but I'm sure there's thousands of people who now go to a lot less games than they did.

Sick Boy

We're no different to any other fan base in that respect and our fan base has the same mentality as it did when we were in the premiership. It was happening then too.

The big difference with Pompey fans is that they are to a large degree a master of their own destiny, the same goes with AFC Wimbledon hence their quick progression through nonleague to league. That's a luxury we don't even have a wiff of.

It makes me laugh when people suggest that if we turned out in record numbers for the league our fortunes would improve. Would it bollocks. I think the majority of what was our fan base cottoned onto this some time ago regardless of if they were season ticket holders, went to half a dozen matches or so a year or jumped on ship for the occasional big game. Detachment is easier than watching a slow death for some and that's a human condition, it's not exclusive to CCFC fans.

Even when sisu came in we didn't reach the level of attendance we needed to break even. If they'd done their homework properly they'd have realised that we have never sustained such high attendances. Even in the 90's at HR they were poor.

Sick Boy

Even at HR we had bad times but looking back it was nothing to where we are now. We never really appreciated what we had.
HR was not suitable for long term survival in the PL.
At the time we were well established in the league, but like Swansea now, needed more capacity. The Ricoh would give us that need.
Relegation from the PL started this rot, coupled with poor management. I still don't understand how we cocked up the Gasworks, Tesco, Council land deal.

However once we left the PL having committed to the Ricoh a fast return was essential.
That never happened and IIRC the squad was trimmed and getting out the Championship was gone.
Incomes relating to having visibility in the PL also declined and the Ricoh business model was in turmoil.
That was the previous management.

The writing on the wall appeared during Mcallister's first season as manager. We signed poor players and I'm surprised we didn't go down a lot sooner.

Samo

We don't usually see eye to eye but that's a great post and sum's up my feelings exactly.

(edit) just to add, it also goes to show that it doesn't matter where or how you think it went wrong or who carries the most blame. The net result is the same. A disappearing fan base.

Agreed and sadly yes the net result is the same. Its the one thing we all have in common; our sadness at the plight of our club

SkyBlueSid

I think the same and to be honest if there was a switch you could flick and not be a supporter anymore I'd probably have flicked it by now. When I think of the amount of time and money I have spent on the club in nearly 30 years and look at what I've got in return in terms of enjoyment I'm definitely not getting the good end of this deal. It's very hard to go from supporting to not supporting but I'm sure there's thousands of people who now go to a lot less games than they did.

It is hard to go from supporting to not supporting, as you say. But many, many City fans had that decision forced upon them last season when the team was dumped in Northampton. Many of those who returned this season are finding that it's not the same any more.

I seriously believe that Fisher and his associated clowns never appreciated the damage they would do by that move. They presumed most would travel to Sixfields and were wrong. And they reckoned most would return once we were back at the Ricoh, which was partly right but they will see next season what long term damage they have done to their client base.

skybluetony176

It is hard to go from supporting to not supporting, as you say. But many, many City fans had that decision forced upon them last season when the team was dumped in Northampton. Many of those who returned this season are finding that it's not the same any more.

I seriously believe that Fisher and his associated clowns never appreciated the damage they would do by that move. They presumed most would travel to Sixfields and were wrong. And they reckoned most would return once we were back at the Ricoh, which was partly right but they will see next season what long term damage they have done to their client base.

The idiot assumed 4-6K would follow to Northampton so I think you're absolutely right to say they didn't appreciate the damage they would do by that move. Either that or he and his employers simply don't care about the damage they've done. Maybe both?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

The absolute key to all of this gloom and lack of optimism is the current owners. We are not being run as a club with a future at all, we are being run as a club on life support. Everything top down is unprofessional and short term. The ticketing arrangements, merchandise selection, communication and marketing, the transparency for true ambition has all gone. These outsiders couldn't care less, they have cut costs down to the absolute bone now and are just using the club as a vehicle for their shady inter company money movements, management charges, debt interest collections and future litigation plans.
Team wise we have a platform to bring a few kids through to sell on to help fund the running costs at the first opportunity, a manager who preaches from the SISU hymn sheet of bullshit and feigned positivity. The vultures from Mayfair are relying heavily on historical loyalty and many Dads and Lads of all ages to keep turning up regardless but even that will dwindle as the helplessness of it all and sheer lack of progression and ambition becomes obvious.
First stop is the next court case and next is the season ticket renewal cash, if both these events are failures for SISU then we might see some true intentions. In the meantime how can anyone point fingers at fans reluctant to part with £22 a match plus other costs to attend ??

Don't disagree with this at all. For me I think the crunch will come with season ticket renewals next year. If anything will hurt SISU a lack of interest in season tickets will , and from what I know, many (myself included) will not renew. If it doesn't matter then one has to wonder why on earth SISU hold on to a burning rope. How is CCFC helping to fund them ?

Monkeyface

I'm 38, I've been watching the Sky Blues since 1987, you could argue I'm a glory supporter, my first game was Leicester away before the cup final, my second being the cup final and third the Charity Shield, but at 10 years old you're reliant on others to take you. This reliance didn't last long, and by the end of the next season, at the age of 11 I was sneeking up with friends (in the 80's mum's didn't want their lads going without a grown up), on many occasion I even went on my own when I couldn't drag friends up, I just needed that fix. The city have been a massive part of my life, as they were for my Dad. Everybody that knows me from every stage of my life knows I'm a Sky Blue, it's the first thing a lot of people talk to me about when they haven't seen me for a while. In fact many of the posters on here will know me and my face, as I'm sure I would recognise many of you. I have laughed, cried, cheered and in my youth fought because of the city. I have stood and took the sh!t that comes with being city fan and always been able to argue our corner with pride. I've spent the last few quid in my pocket to watch city home and away, I've had a season ticket every year I could afford one. In all I am the fan city can depend on, but I have to say, and the people who know me won't believe me when I say this, I am questioning how much more I can give the club, and it is far more give than take. I haven't even been to an away game this season, and probably won't, which will be the first time ever. I just don't want to spend what little spare cash I have watching the poor excuse for football we are served up. I feel like the players, the manager, the owners and yes the council have just took us for mugs... and I'm nobody's mug! I am a season ticket holder this year, but I am not sure I will renew next year. And for the club that should be worrying, because if I'm thinking of walking they have a problem!

So to answer the question... yes it does matter, it matters a massive amount. Sadly it doesn't matter enough to the people who can make a difference.

These are sad times indeed.

you're an idiot

Why is it always the people who don't care and don't go who are the most outraged if a player gets sold etc etc?

Seriously?! Those, like myself, don't go because we do care. I won't go until SISU go but despair that they're dismantling the team but by bit and particularly selling/losing local lads that have been at the club long before they turned up to screw us over. They'll leave eventually when there's nothing more to flog but those that attend are delaying it. The earlier they go the earlier fans will be back if they follow my logic. Is it really that hard to understand? Those that in your mind care are just the life support machine to SISU...

blueflint

I don't know who goes and who doesn't.
I assumed everybody on here was a life long season ticket holder.
Perhaps we need to score fans and then we can weight their opinion.

May I suggest. ;)

Season ticket holders get a point for every year they have had a season ticket.
Current season ticket holders .. 10 Points.
A point for every away game this season.
Attending Wasps matches .. -2 points per game
Attending Wasps Corporate events .. -10 points
A CCC Councillor .. -10
Sisu board member .. -20
Attended Sixfields and enjoyed it .. -5

Italiahorse (16) .. This means my weighting is 16 and will out weigh any comments below this score.

my score would be -100 or more NOPM for me still

Otis

Have to say, defeats just don't bother me anymore. They used to hurt me deep down and could ruin my entire weekend.

Now all you get from me is a shrug of the shoulders and that's it.

Ashdown

Have to say, defeats just don't bother me anymore. They used to hurt me deep down and could ruin my entire weekend.

Now all you get from me is a shrug of the shoulders and that's it.

That's absolutely key to me as well. The wife used to usher the kids away from me if we'd been beaten and lock them selves in the 'safe' room for a few hours now it's little more than a mild annoyance and slight depression at the sheer pointlessness of it all.

Otis

Think you need to book in for some 'anger management'.

Try and be a little more polite when someone posts a view or opinion that's different to yours or that you don't agree with.

Would be great if you could give view or opinions, rather than post things as fact or as if they come with some kind of insider knowledge.

The Reverend Skyblue

Think you need to book in for some 'anger management'.

Try and be a little more polite when someone posts a view or opinion that's different to yours or that you don't agree with.
Many thanks for your reply RFC ,I have had a couple of hours to take on board your comments and rethink my proposal and I have come to the conclusion ,and again with all due respect ,I would still like you to fuck off

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

I think how it is for a lot of people is they still care about the club, but find it hard to care about individual results anymore. As much as I want the club to progress, I struggle to feel anything after a result, win or draw.

My caring of Ccfc is now about its long term survival rather than an individual game.

valeskyblue

That's absolutely key to me as well. The wife used to usher the kids away from me if we'd been beaten and lock them selves in the 'safe' room for a few hours now it's little more than a mild annoyance and slight depression at the sheer pointlessness of it all.

Wife an kids are still upstairs!, don't know why it bothers me so much as we are so shit, is it too much to ask for abit of success at any level

Users who are viewing this thread