Dodgy Advertising (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

I know we had this thread a while back but I couldn't find it so here we are.

I know the principal is that advertising algorithms are so intelligent they predict what we want before we want them but I just don't believe it.

I'm working Fromm 'home' at the in-laws at the moment and there is a lot of daytime tv on at the moment. Yesterday there was an advert for a gold sovereign commemorating 80 years since the Dunkirk evacuation. We had a short discussion about what is being advertised on TV in the day, a lot of this crap and life insurance etc.

I'm not a collector of anything, not really patriotic or militaristic and would never purchase anything like a commemorative coin, it's so out of the ordinary for me.

Without listening to me then how the hell has Facebook's targeted advertising decided I'd be interested in this?

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 20.40.23.png

Marty

I got the same recently, people at work were talking about motorbikes, and suddenly I got loads of adverts for the new Triumph motorbike. 100% they're using something to pick up on keywords to divert specific adverts your way.

Nick

Administrator
Pretty sure things are listening.

I know people say it's Paranoia but there's no way some of that a robot could predict things so targetted. A while back I was talking about Kraken Rum. I had never searched it online, go on my phone and most apps have ads for Kraken rum.

Corrado

We had a conversation about Fish Flops a few weeks ago as I’d never heard of them. The next day an advert for them came up on my time line. 100% someone is listening

bezzer

If you carry a phone around with you, it's listening and tracking your location 24/7.
If you have a Google Home or an Alexa, they're listening to your every word.

I thought everyone knew that!!

A couple of years ago we had some friends around for a BBQ. We all had phones on us and we have a Google home. We decided to do a test. We started chatting about cross channel ferries. The next day every one of us had adverts on FB, Twitter, Google with adverts for P&O, the Tunnel and a couple of other ferry companies.

shmmeee

Both local TV and FB ads are targeted by location. Not every ad is in your interests.

I work in ML, I read a lot, the algorithms really are that good and once you combine with recency bias in humans that’s all the explanation you need.

There’s been studies to try and prove this and they’ve failed. Android is open source and people could see if there was a way past The device access security. There are teams of infosec people working to try and find this stuff, that’s how we know about TikTok and other spy apps. To imply they’d miss Facebook secretly recording you is ridiculous.

You’d see the network traffic to the voice recognition servers a mile away.

Also there’s no pedo watching you in Talking Tomcat.

Sorry.

Nick

Administrator
Nah, some of it is well above algorithms.

Some will be location, some will be cookies and things you have looked at.

Grendel

Nah, some of it is well above algorithms.

Some will be location, some will be cookies and things you have looked at.

Some will be cookies of course but once we tried an experiment and kept saying we’d want to get a home in Dorset and didn’t google. It did work and loads of things started popping up

Nick

Administrator
Some will be cookies of course but once we tried an experiment and kept saying we’d want to get a home in Dorset and didn’t google. It did work and loads of things started popping up

Alexas and everything as well.

Something can pick up on voice. There is no way an algorithm can read minds,

Grendel

Alexas and everything as well.

Something can pick up on voice. There is no way an algorithm can read minds,

Siri I assume on the phone

Liquid Gold

Uncle was round the other day talking about his tinnitus, nobody searched a thing. Nothing wrong with my ears at all.

Why would the algorithm think I should be advertised with a hearing aid that can cure tints?

We're being listened to.

Last edited:

shmmeee

giphy.gif

This forum is about six months from full on flat earthism.

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

This forum is about six months from full on flat earthism.

I bet Sunday dinner is fucking amazing. Fucking hell give it a rest, saying the same thing over and over. It is like it is programmed into you both that everything must be a conspiracy even though it actually happens.

SBT

It's not true supposedly. Definitely one of the best modern conspiracy theories out there - couple of links below. Zuckerberg told Congress that FB doesn't listen in on your microphone, and while I certainly don't trust the guy, I also don't believe he's crazy enough to lie under oath.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thing is with stuff like Alexa if it's not listening to you, how does it know when you're saying Alexa? Can only do that if it's listening all the time.

Different kettle of fish as to whether it stores whatever else you say and adds it into the algorithm, but there are many anecdotal instances of people doing that.

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was in some way listening and why I've no desire to have one of the things in my house.

Grendel

I bet Sunday dinner is fucking amazing. Fucking hell give it a rest, saying the same thing over and over. It is like it is programmed into you both that everything must be a conspiracy even though it actually happens.

Lol stringforabrain strikes again

wingy

Had ads for birth certificate tracing today .
Spoke my daughter on the subject at the weekend

Have had discussions with brothers and sisters on WhatsApp in the last week .I'm not paranoid this has happened often

wingy

If we're being heard on security grounds IE:- anti terrorism etc , it's not too much of a leap that whoever or wherever, someone can abuse the other data?

Users who are viewing this thread