Documentary Thread (1 Viewer)

Bumberclart

Bomb Squad - Netflix
Brilliant fly on the wall documentary about US bomb disposal in Afghanistan.
There is some 'whoopin' and 'a hollerin', but if you get beyond that, you see just what a ridiculous/thankless job it is.

dancers lance

I would highly recommend "Tim's Vermeer" completely mesmerising, It's produced and directed by Penn & Teller.

skybluetony176

One of the best ones I've seen in fairly recent times was Mike Brewer (off wheeler dealer fame) shadowing a helicopter crew in Afghanistan. He's in the helicopter when they are doing what is supposed to be a fairly routine patrol when the call comes in for a medevac. They land under fire while the ground troops load injured British and Taliban (often forgotten that we treated all injured in battle) while the tail gunner is firing of rounds. The helicopter gets hit a couple of times and the pilot takes a nasty shrapnel wound just above the eye but still manages to take off and get back to base. When they get back to base a Mike Brewer who's been fairly quiet though it all suddenly realises what he's just been witness to and has a bit of a moment. Was a very good bit of TV.

Nick

Administrator
One of the best ones I've seen in fairly recent times was Mike Brewer (off wheeler dealer fame) shadowing a helicopter crew in Afghanistan. He's in the helicopter when they are doing what is supposed to be a fairly routine patrol when the call comes in for a medevac. They land under fire while the ground troops load injured British and Taliban (often forgotten that we treated all injured in battle) while the tail gunner is firing of rounds. The helicopter gets hit a couple of times and the pilot takes a nasty shrapnel wound just above the eye but still manages to take off and get back to base. When they get back to base a Mike Brewer who's been fairly quiet though it all suddenly realises what he's just been witness to and has a bit of a moment. Was a very good bit of TV.
sounds good, what channel?

torchomatic

The Adam Curtis documentaries are brilliant. I can highly recommend Bitter Lake and Hypernormalisation.

There's a good one about capping the Chernobyl reactor too. Oh, and a great one on Russia's cosmonauts and how they won the space race.

skybluetony176

sounds good, what channel?

Now you're asking. It was a long time ago. Pretty sure I've seen it on youtube since. Try searching under Mike Brewer, Afghanistan and I'm sure you'll find it.

He also did a follow up show on the helicopter itself. It was a war veteran that saw action in the Falkland war. There was an old merchant ship in the task force that got torpedoed and they were trying to offload all the equipment it was carrying before it went down and IIRC the helicopter was one of the things that made it of. The captain of the merchant ship was a real hero too. He was merchant navy not royal and both him and the ship had retired. The government pulled the ship out of the graveyard and he volunteered to sail it as it's last captain and came out of retirement to do so. He stayed on board after the ship was hit to keep the pumps going to buy as much time as possible to unload the ship and he went down with the ship. I don't think that was all covered in the Mike Brewer documentary but I do recall seeing a documentary about the captain many years ago and that is also worth a watch if you can find it.

skybluetony176

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Jesus, will keep looking. Always thought Brewer was a bit of a cock on Wheeler Dealers and was out of order to Ed China but would like to watch that one

Liquid Gold

The Adam Curtis documentaries are brilliant. I can highly recommend Bitter Lake and Hypernormalisation.

There's a good one about capping the Chernobyl reactor too. Oh, and a great one on Russia's cosmonauts and how they won the space race.
Is it 'the rise of the politics of fear' - brilliant

Sky_Blue_Daz

Morning lads
There's a few belters on Netflix
Who took Johnny ( harrowing )
The imposter ( fascinating true story of a guy who claims to be a missing American teenager )
I am not your Guru
Kung fu Elliot (which I can't work out if it's a spoof or not)
The guvnor
The resurrection of Jake the snake Roberts
Man versus snake ( it's pretty good it's about a lad who tries to beat his world record on an arcade game 20 odd years after he set it)
I am your father ( it's about David prowse) reshooting a scene from Star Wars where he was supposed to be revealed as Luke's dad)

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Watched that Syria one last night, some of it I had no idea about but that bit where it showed the terrorist in France on his motorbike going round shooting people and the bodycam footage was shocking. Literally just starting chatting to a bloke then shot him.

Nick

Administrator
I am not your Guru

That was stupid. The highlight was the bloke reckoning that him being spoken to changed his life etc. The guy is rinsing the shit out of people and spouting bollocks to vulnerable people and they are swallowing it whole.

Brylowes

Britains Greatest Pilot, the story of Eric "Winkle" Brown absolutely fascinating, like a boys
Own story, flew over 450 different planes from biplanes to jet fighters.
Took part in an air display at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, a test pilot for the RAF who was the
1st pilot ever to land a Jet on an Aircraft Carrier, took part in the interrogation of Goering.

I think he's 98 now, the documentary is made up of old footage, other people's testimony
And his own words, as you'd expect from someone of his ilk he's very selfless.
It really is a brilliant watch, his life story is incredible, I think there are parts 1&2.

SkyblueBazza

Britains Greatest Pilot, the story of Eric "Winkle" Brown absolutely fascinating, like a boys
Own story, flew over 450 different planes from biplanes to jet fighters.
Took part in an air display at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, a test pilot for the RAF who was the
1st pilot ever to land a Jet on an Aircraft Carrier, took part in the interrogation of Goering.

I think he's 98 now, the documentary is made up of old footage, other people's testimony
And his own words, as you'd expect from someone of his ilk he's very selfless.
It really is a brilliant watch, his life story is incredible, I think there are parts 1&2.
Sounds like the sort of thing i may be fascinated by. This is on Netflix?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Sounds like the sort of thing i may be fascinated by. This is on Netflix?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, I watched it about a year ago on one of those nights when your bored
And flicking through the channels, stumbled across it and got into it.
The bloke was an absolute legend, learned from his Dad and some German pilot
Got sent to the flying corps and the rest was history, and history well worth a look.
Google Eric 'Winkle' Brown I'm sure it'll be on there.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Letters to Zachary. On YouTube.

Nuts, disturbing and upsetting. Bit like a Saturday afternoon at the Ricoh.

Sky_Blue_Daz

That was stupid. The highlight was the bloke reckoning that him being spoken to changed his life etc. The guy is rinsing the shit out of people and spouting bollocks to vulnerable people and they are swallowing it whole.
Yes nick I completely agree I was fascinated how he managed to get away with it, his default seemed to be blaming the persons parents

Also there was a scene where he made a woman dump her fella by phone in front of the entire audience

Wouldn't mind being a tenner behind him though

Johnnythespider

The Last Tommy - the stories of the last surviving soldiers from the great war, all over 100 years when it was filmed. Featuring the great Harry Patch who for me absolutely nailed the futility of war.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Judas Priest got sued because supposedly backwards lyrics in their songs persuaded a pair of teenagers to try and blow their heads off. Their private life and upbringing had nothing to do with it, of course...

Users who are viewing this thread