Do you want to discuss boring politics? (17 Viewers)

Grendel

Taken from the BBC news feed but that can't be a genuine quote. Labour blaming Hamas for them losing the West Midlands mayoral election!

It’s a similar line to that peddled in Oldham where they lost council seats to pro Palestine independents

Skybluekyle

Exactly, that’s why the rule is working. If you didn’t need any ID, then the fraud would be massively more Than 1500 cases.

It also stops the hordes of illegal immigrants in this country voting.
I'm presuming this is a parody of some sort, but if not, the Electoral Commission's findings stretches over multiple years. The legislation requiring ID when voting, The Voter Identification Regulation 2022, only came into effect in 2023, and this is the first major nationwide election since its introduction, therefore there is no evidence at this moment that it has had any impact in preventing electoral fraud, and past findings have not found any systemic issue as confirmed by the numbers.

As someone mentioned above, it seems like an attempt to make voting "inconvenient" to a certain cohort of people in this country unlikely to vote for the party who introduced the law. Also, it makes me feel uneasy talking about electoral fraud prevention when there is no evidence of widespread fraud, it just seems to vindicate those who propagate false accusations of fraud, such as a certain man and his gang across the pond.

hamertime

I'm presuming this is a parody of some sort, but if not, the Electoral Commission's findings stretches over multiple years. The legislation requiring ID when voting, The Voter Identification Regulation 2022, only came into effect in 2023, and this is the first major nationwide election since its introduction, therefore there is no evidence at this moment that it has had any impact in preventing electoral fraud, and past findings have not found any systemic issue as confirmed by the numbers.

As someone mentioned above, it seems like an attempt to make voting "inconvenient" to a certain cohort of people in this country unlikely to vote for the party who introduced the law. Also, it makes me feel uneasy talking about electoral fraud prevention when there is no evidence of widespread fraud, it just seems to vindicate those who propagate false accusations of fraud, such as a certain man and his gang across the pond.
Everybody has photo ID, it makes complete sense to use it to make sure the people that should be voting are voting for transparency.

I’m not interested in moggys reason I’m saying my own personal opinion. I mean how hard is it to turn up with your photo ID? If you can’t get that over the line then really you shouldn’t be voting anyway.

wingy

Everybody has photo ID, it makes complete sense to use it to make sure the people that should be voting are voting for transparency.

I’m not interested in moggys reason I’m saying my own personal opinion. I mean how hard is it to turn up with your photo ID? If you can’t get that over the line then really you shouldn’t be voting anyway.
Just has to be the correct type!

shmmeee

How exactly are you thinking in person voter fraud works so this deters it?

Are people just walking up and guessing a name? How many do you think are needed before it impacts a result?

What little voter fraud has ever been found has mostly been through proxy and postal votes which this doesn’t apply to.

You really do believe anything you’re told without the slightest thought. Must be peaceful.

Como

Having a National ID was something I was originally against but time change and it has been essential for many decades.

hamertime

What happened today is what normally happens, people have their little protest vote and everyone thinks its a done deal. When the real election comes everyone realsies they cant vote labour as it woulod be catastrophic and the Tories win.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It gives credibility to the voting process knowing only people registered to vote are actually voting for themselves.

It stops oppressed or vulnerable people having their vote taken away from them by other people in their families. They are the only one who can use their vote in privacy.

I’ll say it again the Tories will win the next general election.
No it doesn't. They just make sure they get sent postal or proxy votes.

Sick Boy

If you don’t drive a car or have a passport, what other ID is there?

Grendel

PVA

Over 60s oyster card is valid
Standard oyster card is not.
Seniors railcard is valid.
16-25 railcard is not.

.....anyone spot a pattern?

Outrageous really isn't it.

On that theme, the longer they leave this election the fewer votes they'll get as their base is literally dying off.

shmmeee

This is possibly the worst piece of electoral forecasting I’ve seen. You can’t just take English LE results and project them across the UK for a GE. Do they think there’s going to be loads of independent MPs rocking up to Westminster? That the SNP are going to do exactly the same as before? Genuine amateur behaviour.

Got them the clicks tho.

PVA

The Land Of Make Believe Wow GIF

Sick Boy

This is possibly the worst piece of electoral forecasting I’ve seen. You can’t just take English LE results and project them across the UK for a GE. Do they think there’s going to be loads of independent MPs rocking up to Westminster? That the SNP are going to do exactly the same as before? Genuine amateur behaviour.

Got them the clicks tho.
Yeah it’s just bizarre.

wingy

Got them the clicks tho.
Not objective at all

Sick Boy

The Tories are in big trouble. I can see them doing something mad like getting Farage in the shadow cabinet at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread