Do you want to discuss boring politics? (13 Viewers)

chiefdave

According to the Mail, so take it with a pinch of salt, the production team are talking with their union to see if they can walk out. Although it seems they may require a ballot first which wouldn't happen before Saturdays show

cowboy1850

It's that time of the year again to pledge more money to the French to police there own borders which they clearly won't do. 🇬🇧 😆

I won't be touching the Tories in the next election. Jokers.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's that time of the year again to pledge more money to the French to police there own borders which they clearly won't do. 🇬🇧 😆

I won't be touching the Tories in the next election. Jokers.

That can't be true. According to the experts on here, their comprehension and interpretation of public surveys indicates that the electorate don't care about immigration policy.

Change your vote back please.

Brighton Sky Blue

A society where people who say things on the internet get more attention than those who do things in reality and where it’s all about ‘symbolism’ and platitudes.

Lineker is paid millions to pontificate about football, and not to a particularly high standard either. He doesn’t need ‘solidarity’. The National Union of Football Commentators picket line will have to wait

clint van damme

Interesting point, the jug eared twat was quite happy to take the money when providing punditry for Qatar, but feels he can lecture the government on morals?

Seems a bit like double standards to me.

That is double standards.
But so is suspending one employee for making political comment but not suspending another one from doing the same thing.

fatso

The BBC getting more flak for suspending Gary Lineker over a tweet, than they ever did for the Martin Bashier manipulation of Princess Diana, or for continuing to employ suspected paedophile Jimmy Savile.

NorthernWisdom

That is double standards.
But so is suspending one employee for making political comment but not suspending another one from doing the same thing.
Double standards that the BBC were more than happy for him to broadcast a political statement on their TV programme then, too... but won't allow him to make one as a private individual.

But all irrelevant really. I find it interesting how some people who defend (with words!) assaults on basic human rights are held to higher standards of account, and more dubious sidetracking... than those who seem all for encouraging systemic abuse of people, and an attempt to deny them their legal right to seek asylum.

SBAndy

Are people pro Qatar now then...?

Weird innit.

For what it’s worth, I’m quite pro-free speech. Rather have the opinions out in the open to be debated/debunked than squeeze all the loonies off-grid. I struggle with what feels like the modern approach of “well that’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it” despite all evidence to the contrary. Alt-facts or something I think it’s referred to as?

SBT

The BBC getting more flak for suspending Gary Lineker over a tweet, than they ever did for the Martin Bashier manipulation of Princess Diana, or for continuing to employ suspected paedophile Jimmy Savile.
Both of those scandals resulted in independent inquiries and weeks of press coverage - this one has a long way to go before it hits those levels.

NorthernWisdom

I struggle with what feels like the modern approach of “well that’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it” despite all evidence to the contrary.
It's just an attempt to be edgy, innit. Free speach, of course, comes with resposibility, it's never an absolute - I can't take out adverts on ITV saying kill SBAndy, can I!

@SBT has actually made the best point, that it appears the issue is in the type of contract that Lineker has signed, and it not being applied properly in this instance, it seems. If they want to tighten what the regs are, then they need to do it and it then encompasses everybody, doesn't it.

shmmeee

Cancel culture is a joke in general, and shouldn't be a thing. There are many examples across the political spectrum, but for the most part it is a leftist activity. You may have criticised GB News on that occasion, and fair play for that, but you are in a minority. Many people (including on here) are for the first time expressing dissatisfaction with it however, because it is being aimed at a person with a left wing opinion. It's why we are seeing so many posts, question dodging, and then defensive posting when challenged.

For the record I support free speech, and even though I think Linekar is a complete twat, he should be allowed to have an opinion. I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy going on. From those trying to cancel him, yes, but also from those suddenly up in arms about it. Those people mostly never cared when it was someone with a right wing opinion that got cancelled, and there's been a lot of examples of that.

People getting upset at things other people have said and trying to get the fired is a person thing not a “leftist” thing. We literally had someone killed because they had the wrong opinions not too long ago. The BBC have jettisoned numerous staff for having left wing views over the years. People are still trying to get that Labour MP sacked for misquoting a tweet.

It’s shitty on all sides. There’s no good faith and people digging through history to find something to hang on someone. See the cancel James Gunn thing as well.

There’s no need to go “yeah it shitty but it’s against someone not on my side so I’m fine with it”. Just stop at the first three words.

fatso

Both of those scandals resulted in independent inquiries and weeks of press coverage - this one has a long way to go before it hits those levels.
But this scandal has nothing to do with any wrong doing.

Thats my point!

Lineker may well be a twat, but he's hardly front page material.

He's stupid for being openly critical of the government while working for the BBC, at a time when the government is being lobbied to do away with the BBC'S licensing fee.

Which is probably why the BBC are now clamping down on its presenters expressing their opinions publicly.

Reactions: SBT

fatso

So let me get this straight.

Lineker is suspended, for his use of words, in a tweet, criticising a government minister over her use of words.

Is that right?

CCFCSteve

Whoever booked Campbell will be on the same naughty step as linekar

I think the whole things is getting a little bit comical though, we’ll have #prayforgary on peoples twitters next 😂

BBC have royally fucked this up though, there was no need for the suspension. Just reiterate that these are his personal views and aren’t representative of the corporation. I also think linekar should’ve just clarified his comments in public, said he hates the policy but maybe the comparison with Nazi Germany was a little OTT and he was only talking about some of the language used. Would’ve put things to bed. Now we have days of nonsense when there’s far more important things going on in the world

Sky Blue Pete

So let me get this straight.

Lineker is suspended, for his use of words, in a tweet, criticising a government minister over her use of words.

Is that right?
Partly
He’s been asked to stand down from motd whilst they had discussions for what was ok and was not ok for him to comment on.
Sounds like bbc wanted him to agree it was wrong and sign a new contract limiting his ability to comment on what he liked in a way he liked

If it wasn’t Lineker I’d be thinking It’s a set up to leave his bbc job and move to sky or someone else but he’s well loved by middle England so it’s a bit different

Sky Blue Pete

I think the whole things is getting a little bit comical though, we’ll have #prayforgary on peoples twitters next 😂

BBC have royally fucked this up though, there was no need for the suspension. Just reiterate that these are his personal views and aren’t representative of the corporation. I also think linekar should’ve just clarified his comments in public, said he hates the policy but maybe the comparison with Nazi Germany was a little OTT and he was only talking about some of the language used. Would’ve put things to bed. Now we have days of nonsense when there’s far more important things going on in the world

The rest is politics is great too

NorthernWisdom

Lineker's tweet was indeed talking about the language used...

Anyway, Campbell was saying similar on Radio 5. It should be remembered that, whatever mess it's in atm, he was allowed to say it. Just about every privately run media channel would not allow him to say it unless it chimed with their ideology - and that's why we need to defend the BBC. Had a news report on earlier saying 'the BBC is in a complete mess' reported by... the BBC. Wouldn't get that elsewhere.

fatso

The BBC's actions have certainly ensured that this issue remains in the headlines.

If they had just ignored it (publicly at least) then the whole thing would of been over before it started.

shmmeee

Weird innit.

For what it’s worth, I’m quite pro-free speech. Rather have the opinions out in the open to be debated/debunked than squeeze all the loonies off-grid. I struggle with what feels like the modern approach of “well that’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it” despite all evidence to the contrary. Alt-facts or something I think it’s referred to as?

Peoples informational space Sinai curated no
The BBC's actions have certainly ensured that this issue remains in the headlines.

If they had just ignored it (publicly at least) then the whole thing would of been over before it started.

The BBC is run by a Tory who doesn’t like the BBC. Of course they’re punching themselves in the face

Users who are viewing this thread