Do you want to discuss boring politics? (16 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Be great if the rump of racist party members resigned en masse. Fancy messing things up like they did after Johnson was forced to quit. Absolute disgrace to select Liz truss

Skyblueweeman

On Thursday, I went to the gym and Liz Truss was PM. By the time I finished, we had no PM.

Today, I went to the gym and we had no PM. By the time I finished, Rishi Sunak is the new PM.

Just as a heads up, I'm planning on going to the gym again on Wednesday and Thursday so get betting on Rishi out on Wednesday lunchtime and a new PMM in on Thursday lunchtime.

CCFCSteve

yep, a thin skinned austerity monster who is going hike taxes and slash spending in a cost of living crisis

Give him a chance 😂. Agree though he does appear thin skinned which isnt an ideal trait to have as PM !

There are no doubt some tough calls ahead. I just hope they’re made in as fair a way as possible and that he makes decisions in the countrys best interests, not to please some members of the Tory party

Although they’ve got to try to placate the markets after the Truss/Kwarteng shitshow hopefully he can somehow buy some goodwill/flexibility by being seen as a more sensible, credible PM. Bond yields have dropped significantly since Truss left which suggests there might be some leeway

Ultimately I’m just hoping for a period of stability as the last 12 months have been an absolute shambles.

PVA

There are no doubt some tough calls ahead. I just hope they’re made in as fair a way as possible and that he makes decisions in the countrys best interests, not to please some members of the Tory party

Given that he told a group of Tory members that he wanted to take money from deprived areas and divert it to their well off rural constituencies I wouldn’t hold your breath on that!

CCFCSteve

Given that he told a group of Tory members that he wanted to take money from deprived areas and divert it to their well off rural constituencies I wouldn’t hold your breath on that!

Yeah, I remember seeing that. As NW also mentioned he made some comments at the end of last leadership battle trying to get members on board, which I hope were out of desperation, rather than true beliefs. Soon find out I guess

duffer

He's probably right. I could get behind it as long as we used it to spend on the minions too... but I'm not holding out much hope for that. Looking forward to more 'efficiency savings'.

I detest the deliberate misuse of that phrase.

Efficiency, put simply, is input compared to output.

If you reduce inputs and keep the same outputs, then you're increasing efficiency.

If you reduce inputs and the outputs also reduce (like the "efficiencies" in the NHS, Police etc. etc.) then you're just cutting. Let's call it what it is, eh.

Hertsccfc

If you reduce inputs and keep the same outputs, then you're increasing efficiency.

If you reduce inputs and the outputs also reduce (like the "efficiencies" in the NHS, Police etc. etc.) then you're just cutting. Let's call it what it is, eh.
Sort of agree but actually you need to think about outcomes, especially in things like the NHS, rather than outputs. It's not just about how much you do but whether you are doing the right things. But that takes some forward and joined up thinking which is something the Tories don't do.

shmmeee

The Matt Hancock moment.

Brings a tear to my eye.

giphy.gif

duffer

Sort of agree but actually you need to think about outcomes, especially in things like the NHS, rather than outputs. It's not just about how much you do but whether you are doing the right things. But that takes some forward and joined up thinking which is something the Tories don't do.

Take your point, and I think we're coming from the same place, but an "efficiency" that results in worse outcomes in terms of obvious metrics like waiting lists and delays in A&E can't genuinely be framed as an efficiency. It's a cut.

When Tories talk about efficiencies they're usually really talking about cuts, imho.

Sky Blue Pete

Great point

skybluetony176

So the good news 1) Boris’ bullshit got him nowhere for a change. 2) it’s a big moment and proud moment in UK history regardless of political leaning our first PM of colour should be something to celebrate. 3) if we’re going to be stuck with a Tory government for another two years the best outcome for the country was Sunak, the Tories can’t do any better than him but as we’ve seen over the past 4 years they can certainly do a lot worse. 4) Sunak is at least capable of pretending to be a grown up.

The bad news. Doesn’t look like we’re getting a GE anytime soon. However he’s got a lot to do to unify his party before he can even think about unifying the country and that’s going to be a tall ask. I wouldn’t rule out some of the nutters leaving the Tories and doing something really stupid like join the reform party sitting on the opposition benches, happened before with UKIP. I don’t think 2 years will be enough to sort his party out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread