Do you want to discuss boring politics? (31 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Without Israel being on the agenda it would have been interesting to see how well the independent who came second would have fared. Fought the election on local issues only from what I can gather while looking to represent the entire community regardless of faith etc. 21% of the vote from nothing.

The other interesting aspect was how badly reform done. Votes on the day don’t seem to reflect their standing in the polls which shouldn’t come as a surprise. The Excellent Dan Hodges pointing out that that should encourage Sunak to call an earlier GE rather than wait until autumn. Let’s face it every day Sunak waits for a GE the more shit comes out about his party and the more disconnect the electorate feels from the Tories. The longer he waits the more Tory votes will be shed to the other parties including Reform on the day as well as in the polls.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Without Israel being on the agenda it would have been interesting to see how well the independent who came second would have fared. Thought the election on local issues only from what I can gather while looking to represent the entire community regardless of faith etc. 21% of the vote from nothing.

The other interesting aspect was how badly reform done. Votes on the day don’t seem to reflect their standing in the polls which shouldn’t come as a surprise. The Excellent Dan Hodges pointing out that that should encourage Sunak to call an earlier GE rather than wait until autumn. Let’s face it every day Sunak waits for a GE the more shit comes out about his party and the more disconnect the electorate feels from the Tories. The longer he waits the more Tory votes will be shed to the other parties including Reform on the day as well as in the polls.
Large independent or smaller party support screws with the fptp system

OffenhamSkyBlue

In relation to the Rochdale result, they were saying on the radio this morning that if Labour don't change some of their rhetoric/vernacular on Israel/Palestine they could lose a lot of voters at the GE. They were totally bollocksed during the Corbyn era by adopting the warped definition of anti-semitism such that it includes any criticism of actions by the Israeli state, and are now shit-scared of supporting the Palestinians at all.

They also had some clown masquerading as a Professor of Politics on, saying that "it can't be just Muslims voting for Galloway - the population of Rochdale identify as 19% Muslim, but Galloway got 40% of the vote".
Eh? He may be a whizz at politics but he knows fuck-all about basic arithmetic!

Population of the whole of Rochdale Borough was 223,800 at the 2021 census, of whom 18.8% said they were Muslim.
The parliamentary constituency of Rochdale has an electorate of about 78,000, so assuming the religious demographic in the constituency is the same as the wider Borough, this would mean that approximately 14,800 Muslims were able to vote, and may have been more likely to turn out to vote on this issue than the overall turnout of 40%.
Galloway got 12,000 votes, so it is entirely possible that the vast majority of his electors were Muslim, and the Prof has got his sums wrong! If they turned out, fair play to them.

clint van damme

In relation to the Rochdale result, they were saying on the radio this morning that if Labour don't change some of their rhetoric/vernacular on Israel/Palestine they could lose a lot of voters at the GE. They were totally bollocksed during the Corbyn era by adopting the warped definition of anti-semitism such that it includes any criticism of actions by the Israeli state, and are now shit-scared of supporting the Palestinians at all.

They also had some clown masquerading as a Professor of Politics on, saying that "it can't be just Muslims voting for Galloway - the population of Rochdale identify as 19% Muslim, but Galloway got 40% of the vote".

Population of the whole of Rochdale Borough was 223,800 at the 2021 census, of whom 18.8% said they were Muslim.
The parliamentary constituency of Rochdale has an electorate of about 78,000, so assuming the religious demographic in the constituency is the same as the wider Borough, this would mean that approximately 14,800 Muslims were able to vote, and may have been more likely to turn out to vote on this issue than the overall turnout of 40%.
Galloway got 12,000 votes, so it is entirely possible that the vast majority of his electors were Muslim, and the Prof has got his sums wrong! If they turned out, fair play to them.

Good analysis, though I did read that according to exit polls that in a couple of mainly white areas he polled well, no idea if true.

duffer

Without Israel being on the agenda it would have been interesting to see how well the independent who came second would have fared. Thought the election on local issues only from what I can gather while looking to represent the entire community regardless of faith etc. 21% of the vote from nothing.

A braver politician might see that and go for it, but Sunak is a coward to his very core.

Like Johnson, and I suspect many in the Tory party, Sunak has no real beliefs behind his politics, it's just a vehicle for his own personal quest for power and glory. (What worries me is the thought that Starmer could easily be accused of something similar.)

Regardless, there's no way Sunak leaves number 10 until the last moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stretch it out into next year...

Sky Blue Pete

It’s as if the other major party aren’t Islamophobic and racist and don’t like non white pekple

shmmeee

It’s as if the other major party aren’t Islamophobic and racist and don’t like non white pekple

The right realised a while ago that this sort of political attack doesn’t actually work on them or their voters as they don’t really care and generally think most accusations of bigotry are overblown. Then they realised that that meant the left and its voters do care so now they raise it as much as possible despite how hypocritical it looks because it’s guaranteed to have the left shooting themselves in the foot. For example by withdrawing and letting Galloway in. Or endless members/councillors being kicked out.

CCFCSteve

I was thinking that about the independent candidate and do wonder whether as a country we might be moving towards the possibility of other independent/smaller party candidates having a sniff at future elections. Reform must be fuming

shmmeee

I was thinking that about the independent candidate and do wonder whether as a country we might be moving towards the possibility of other independent/smaller party candidates having a sniff at future elections. Reform must be fuming

We used to have far more independents IIRC. But then local issues used to matter. Weird that we’ve got a return to that with a local take on a global issue.

CCFCSteve

Good analysis, though I did read that according to exit polls that in a couple of mainly white areas he polled well, no idea if true.

I heard someone on the radio earlier saying he targeted different demographics in different ways when leafleting etc, focussing on Palestine/Israel for the Muslim vote but then brexit/failure or implementing a proper or successful brexit for white vote. He’s a sneaky divisive fucker…not stupid though

skybluetony176

A braver politician might see that and go for it, but Sunak is a coward to his very core.

Like Johnson, and I suspect many in the Tory party, Sunak has no real beliefs behind his politics, it's just a vehicle for his own personal quest for power and glory. (What worries me is the thought that Starmer could easily be accused of something similar.)

Regardless, there's no way Sunak leaves number 10 until the last moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stretch it out into next year...
I think he also knows that he’s done regardless of whenever he calls it and vain enough to delay it so he can move up a place or two in the longest serving PM’s list. It’s hard to see what else he can gain. If we don’t come out of recession this quarter that’s going to add to his woes, there’s warning signs that inflation could start rising mainly but not exclusively due to the Red Sea issue, the longer they’re in power the more opportunities he affords the idiots that make up the Tory parliamentary party to say something that will piss the public off, NHS lists are predicted to still be above pre covid levels and the hill he’s set out to die on off small boats and the Rwandan deal is falling apart. I was reading the other day that boat crossings this year are already in line with the same period last year, if that trend continues at best the numbers are stagnating so not falling and at worse they might even start rising again. Couple that with the country waking up to the fact that half a billion to get rid of 300 asylum seekers isn’t either good value for money or a deterrent.

If Sunak was putting his party first he’d call an election today as part of a damage limitation plan.

clint van damme

I heard someone on the radio earlier saying he targeted different demographics in different ways when leafleting etc, focussing on Palestine/Israel for the Muslim vote but then brexit/failure or implementing a proper or successful brexit for white vote. He’s a sneaky divisive fucker…not stupid though

I don't disagree with that assessment of him one bit.

skybluetony176

I don’t think it would be a bad thing to have a few independents fighting for local issues. Apparently he only announced that he was standing 4 weeks ago which makes it more impressive. Not sure if he’s planning on trying again in the GE but he’s well and truly on the radar now and who knows, a prolonged campaign fought locally and full time might tip the scales even more for him.

duffer

Another self entitled rich boy who can’t accept he’s not as popular as thinks he’s entitled to be

I'm all for free speech, but anyone who claims election interference needs to suffer some sort of legal consequence if they're shown to be just making it up.

This is a dangerous road to go down, and like Trump, will be used to justify all kinds of horrendous statements and behaviour.

alexccfc99

Rochdale by-election is a sign of things to come

It may not necessarily mean more seats but I think at the looming election independent candidates are going to get more votes than ever

I am not political expert either but I think the next election will be a lot closer fought than people seem to think

skybluetony176

Yeah, needs to sort his own shit before talking about division elsewhere. Said a few times appointing Bravermann day one and not properly dealing with the right of his party then was a massive mistake
The problem is his entire party is further right than it ever has been in its history, there is no centre right in the Tories. Certainly no one left that matters or isn’t willing to debase themselves to stay in the party. If he made a mistake it was taking the job in the first place because dealing with the “right” of the Tories was never an option. He was only ever going to be in a position where he either had to join in or excuse it. He’d have been looking at a shorter term than Truss otherwise.

wingy

Do we think last night's address speaks to the population or a wider community,is he nervous of something else coming down the road?

shmmeee

Rochdale by-election is a sign of things to come

It may not necessarily mean more seats but I think at the looming election independent candidates are going to get more votes than ever

I am not political expert either but I think the next election will be a lot closer fought than people seem to think

Agree. If the two main competitors for a seat pull out independent candidates will do very well.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I wish there were more independents running for parliament. There may be local issues to campaign on, but just saying that they would vote freely with their conscience, rather than with the Party whip would get my vote. I lived in Central Beds a few years back and our town councillor ran for the District as an IND and absolutely walloped the two sitting Tories who had been in post (and done fuck-all to represent the people of the town) for years. That stimulated a number of other Indy candidates in other wards and they were second only to the Tories! There is no place for party politics in local government, and a decreasing need for it at Westminster too!

wingy

Get ready for the non election There will
be a unity Gov't and democracy is dead!
Sorry might be conflating Capitalism and democracy!

Last edited:

clint van damme

Depressing as fuck

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Where else would you get away with making statements like this in such an important, high profile job?

So what qualifies you to join the board of Persimmon?

My Dad taught me how to assemble a shed.

She doesn't believe this of course, it's building a narrative that people will swallow hook, line and sinker.

PVA

Depressing as fuck

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If you read the actual article that isn't what she's doing at all. It's literally just an anecdote about her mum.

There's plenty of valid stuff to knock her for, no need to make stuff up to get angry about.

Just another Corbyn disciple crying on twitter. Shock.

Last edited:

Grendel

Where else would you get away with making statements like this in such an important, high profile job?

So what qualifies you to join the board of Persimmon?

My Dad taught me how to assemble a shed.

She doesn't believe this of course, it's building a narrative that people will swallow hook, line and sinker.

It’s similar to the Thatcher speeches when she was first elected

Users who are viewing this thread