Do you want to discuss boring politics? (44 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I’m not complaining about integrity in politics though am I. And for the record Grendull also voted for Farage and as he’s the one complaining about integrity in politics perhaps you should point your question in his direction.
It was obvious what both Johnson and Farage were like, no idea how anyone could vote for either of them, personally.

shmmeee

This is surely the point when everyone agrees politicians no longer serve the country but are just there to build money making careers.

Can anyone with belief in genuine integrity in politics vote for labour or Tory now?

I can’t and I won’t

Not the billions to mates, not the tax breaks, not the revolving door with think tanks and consultancies. This is what pushed you over the edge?

skybluetony176

Not the billions to mates, not the tax breaks, not the revolving door with think tanks and consultancies. This is what pushed you over the edge?
He was particularly a fan of the lockdown parties while people were dying. Lying to the queen apparently got him hard.

fernandopartridge

He was particularly a fan of the lockdown parties while people were dying. Lying to the queen apparently got him hard.
I mean TBF the lockdown parties were the least worst thing that happened in that time. The damage was mostly done over the 10 years preceding COVID where austerity crippled the state's ability to respond. That must never ever be forgotten.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

duffer

Something that effects the people of Scotland? Instead they keep using up their very few opposition days to try and trap Labour on the middle east.

It doesn't "trap" Labour if Starmer doesn't set a policy that a lot of his own members and MPs don't agree with.

This slavish devotion and determination to defend Starmer at all costs is odd. The SNP policy on this has been clear for some time, why shouldn't they put their motion before parliament. A lot of people in the country think it's an important issue.

If it causes Labour and the Tories some issues, that's on them not the SNP.

Blaming the SNP for Labour's own failings is obviously partisan, why not just try the shmmeee defence of "it doesn't matter what Labour say anyway". It's not much better, but it avoids having to defend the indefensible.

David O'Day

It doesn't "trap" Labour if Starmer doesn't set a policy that a lot of his own members and MPs don't agree with.

This slavish devotion and determination to defend Starmer at all costs is odd. The SNP policy on this has been clear for some time, why shouldn't they put their motion before parliament. A lot of people in the country think it's an important issue.

If it causes Labour and the Tories some issues, that's on them not the SNP.

Blaming the SNP for Labour's own failings is obviously partisan, why not just try the shmmeee defence of "it doesn't matter what Labour say anyway". It's not much better, but it avoids having to defend the indefensible.
Why didn't they just vote for the better motion? Why did they storm out instead of voting for the motion that asks for an immediate ceasefire, recognises Palestine and calls for a halt on the Rafah offensive?

Because they called the debate to try and trap Labour and it went wrong.

Reactions: PVA

Grendel

Why didn't they just vote for the better motion? Why did they storm out instead of voting for the motion that asks for an immediate ceasefire, recognises Palestine and calls for a halt on the Rafah offensive?

Because they called the debate to try and trap Labour and it went wrong.

How is it trapping anyone if labour were United behind their leader?

Grendel

I’m not complaining about integrity in politics though am I. And for the record Grendull also voted for Farage and as he’s the one complaining about integrity in politics perhaps you should point your question in his direction.

Why? I supported the referendum and Brexit - you didn’t but voted to encourage it to happen

Grendel

Anyone who says this is the tipping point for deciding that politicians are in it for themselves has obviously been living under a rock for the last 5 years at the absolute bare minimum.

Its a total shambles. The elected government can be judged on its record at an election.

Here you have a motion tabled which procedure dictated has precedent. It’s as clear as day that labour MPs (estimated at up to 100) were set to oppose the leader

Then as by magic the absent speaker suddenly shows and acts against protocol. A speaker who is a former labour MP - it’s inconceivable pressure wasn’t applied to save his skin.

You then have the ridiculous charade of MPs wondering out in protest - shouting and bawling for all the world to see.

It’s a total shambles.

PVA

SNPs and Tories tried to play games. It backfired. Their toys well and truly came out the pram.

Of course it's all Labour's fault. I should have known 🤣

shmmeee

Its a total shambles. The elected government can be judged on its record at an election.

Here you have a motion tabled which procedure dictated has precedent. It’s as clear as day that labour MPs (estimated at up to 100) were set to oppose the leader

Then as by magic the absent speaker suddenly shows and acts against protocol. A speaker who is a former labour MP - it’s inconceivable pressure wasn’t applied to save his skin.

You then have the ridiculous charade of MPs wondering out in protest - shouting and bawling for all the world to see.

It’s a total shambles.

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

All sides were playing politics here. You’re just salty your side lost TBH.

Grendel

SNPs and Tories tried to play games. It backfired. Their toys well and truly came out the pram.

Of course it's all Labour's fault. I should have known 🤣

How is that a representation of what actually happened?

Grendel

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

All sides were playing politics here. You’re just salty your side lost TBH.

Everyone lost and I don’t have a side anymore

wingy

If we're worried about food supply we will have to join up to a secure mechanism that has after the butter mountains been successful!

PVA

How is that a representation of what actually happened?

It's exactly what happened.

Now it's hilarious to see the Tories crying about parliamentary process and convention being broken after the shit they've pulled in the last 5 years.

I'm sure you were equally outraged when Johnson prorogued parliament.

skybluetony176

Why? I supported the referendum and Brexit - you didn’t but voted to encourage it to happen
Despite the lack of integrity of Boris. It’s a bit late to be complaining about the integrity of politics when you willingly voted for the man with the least integrity in the history of politics. To a casual observer you could quite easily be called out for double standards. Others might even describe it as faux outrage, given you’ve had no issue with integrity when suits.

wingy

Remember all those street lights that were purchased on a PFI contract, sound's like they're becoming obsolete in parts of the Country.
Or part time , hope the give a discount for longer life!

skybluetony176

Now it's hilarious to see the Tories crying about parliamentary process and convention being broken after the shit they've pulled in the last 5 years.

Exactly this. Even if Starmer did threaten Hoyle to get his own way it’s still a step up in integrity compared to the last 5 years. Lying to the queen, blatant lying in parliament, cronyism on speed etc etc. and that’s before you even get into the number of by-elections triggered through misbehaviour of MP’s almost exclusively Tories on everything from sexual misconduct to lobbying. I think you have to go back to the 80’s to see more by-elections in a single year and I dare say we must be on a record for a single term, certainly in the modern era.

Grendel

Why then are there many posters on here who strangely think differently despite their left leaning views?

OffenhamSkyBlue

I mean TBF the lockdown parties were the least worst thing that happened in that time. The damage was mostly done over the 10 years preceding COVID where austerity crippled the state's ability to respond. That must never ever be forgotten.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
A bit longer than that, FP - the pandemic preparedness review was conducted under Brown's government and achieved precisely fuck-all, as we have seen in the past 4 years.

skybluetony176

A bit longer than that, FP - the pandemic preparedness review was conducted under Brown's government and achieved precisely fuck-all, as we have seen in the past 4 years.
Wasn’t there another review in 2017 which amongst other things pointed out that the majority of PPE stockpiles were out of date and/or out of current specifications with an advisory to replace it asap? We of course did nothing.

Hertsccfc

Wasn’t there another review in 2017 which amongst other things pointed out that the majority of PPE stockpiles were out of date and/or out of current specifications with an advisory to replace it asap? We of course did nothing.
I think it was 2016 if you are referring to a pandemic readiness review. However, it seems Theresa May's Government did nothing about it because of a preoccupation with Brexit. I believe this is the main factor in why we did so badly with covid, as there was no plan. If there was a plan many lives would have been saved even with Johnson in power. Unfortunately we had an incompetent in power without a plan.

wingy

I think it was 2016 if you are referring to a pandemic readiness review. However, it seems Theresa May's Government did nothing about it because of a preoccupation with Brexit. I believe this is the main factor in why we did so badly with covid, as there was no plan. If there was a plan many lives would have been saved even with Johnson in power. Unfortunately we had an incompetent in power without a plan.
Absolutely still euphoria prevalent?

clint van damme

I doubt they noticed. The end result was a vote for an immediate ceasefire. The fact everyone’s whining about parliamentary procedure after that is probably a good thing.
it was a fucking shambles.
The fact Hoyle was in Israel rimming the IDF at a time when the death toll in Gaza was 14k coupled with yesterday's proceedings should be enough to finish him in a normal country.

Users who are viewing this thread