Do you want to discuss boring politics? (24 Viewers)

Bugsy

Seems like a nice piece of work!!šŸ¤®
Labour suspends union boss Howard Beckett after he says Priti Patel should be ā€˜deported instead of refugeesā€™

you don't portray yourself very well at times
Ā 

shmmeee

Hopefully protection to academics and academic debate, and I simply don't agree that it;s virtue signalling but instead acting on a perceived need to protect freedom of expression. There's been some very wrong de-platforming. I applaud anything that can be done to stop that and its direct and indirect effect of freedom of speech and thought.

But thatā€™s the point. Thereā€™s been a couple of high profile ā€œdeplatofrmingā€ incidents, and this wouldnā€™t have stopped them. Meanwhile the government are deplatforming anyone with views they donā€™t like in academia.

Itā€™s total virtue signalling. Will do nothing to address the problem and they clearly donā€™t care about it anyway. Absolute dictionary definition.
Ā 

shmmeee

Labour suspends union boss Howard Beckett after he says Priti Patel should be ā€˜deported instead of refugeesā€™

Why do you think that statement is wrong?

Itā€™s such bullshit and obviously factional. Thereā€™s nothing racist about saying the Home Secretary should be deported when she deporting people. Itā€™s a standard insult.
Ā 

Itā€™sabatch87

Why do you think that statement is wrong?

Itā€™s such bullshit and obviously factional. Thereā€™s nothing racist about saying the Home Secretary should be deported when she deporting people. Itā€™s a standard insult.
So if it had been said about Diane Abbott youā€™d all be shouting it from the rooftops.
It works both ways doesnā€™t it?
Or do you only see one side?
Ā 

shmmeee

So if it had been said about Diane Abbott youā€™d all be shouting it from the rooftops.
It works both ways doesnā€™t it?
Or do you only see one side?

No, Iā€™ve had the same argument with people on the left. I hate this pretend offence by people pretending they donā€™t understand how language works.
Ā 

shmmeee

Well Labour have suspended him so must be something in it.
You canā€™t have your cake and eat it!!

Labour suspend everyone for everything, 90% of Labour internal politics is concocting racism/sexism/transphobia/homophobia scandals to kick the other faction.
Ā 
D

Deleted member 4439

But thatā€™s the point. Thereā€™s been a couple of high profile ā€œdeplatofrmingā€ incidents, and this wouldnā€™t have stopped them. Meanwhile the government are deplatforming anyone with views they donā€™t like in academia.

Itā€™s total virtue signalling. Will do nothing to address the problem and they clearly donā€™t care about it anyway. Absolute dictionary definition.

One that we'll have to disagree on.
Ā 

SBAndy

Do you spend your entire life scouring The Sun to find links to post on here?
Ā 

NorthernWisdom

Freedom of speech = freedom to deplatform, there is no inherent right of anybody to be given time to speak to students. It is down to the freedom of the university to decide (with steer from students). More culture war drivel that you're lapping up.
I do wonder how it works in practice. Surely you have a finite amount of booking slots, and have the right to book who you want?!?
Ā 

shmmeee

I do wonder how it works in practice. Surely you have a finite amount of booking slots, and have the right to book who you want?!?

Itā€™s more people who are booked then cancelled rather than people being booked at all.

The problem is a workplace rights issue. Lecturers have a right to work without harassment and all workers have a right to an employer who doesnā€™t sack them for a mild Twitter post.

If the government really wanted to stop cancel culture theyā€™d bring forward a workers rights bill that prevented sacking for such trivial offences and strengthened worker action when theyā€™re being bullied/harassed at work.

Yet funnily enough theyā€™ve not done that, instead deciding to have a pointless bill that will achieve nothing but to signal to others that they care about this virtue.
Ā 

NorthernWisdom

Itā€™s more people who are booked then cancelled rather than people being booked at all.
But that's just it, you don't book in the first place, then!

The cancellations have been done thanks to popular protest, and I don't agree with that as such - go along and get a free heckle - but all that'll happen is there'll be no risk taken in who they book.

It'll be even more lefty!

I agree with the rest btw.
Ā 
Last edited:

shmmeee

But that's just it, you don't book in the first place, then!

The cancellations have been done thanks to popular priest, and I don't agree with that as such - go along and get a free heckle - but all that'll happen is there'll be no risk taken in who they book.

It'll be even more lefty!

I agree with the rest btw.

Thatā€™s their problem. They like employer freedom but not that employer freedom, they want to shut down speech they donā€™t like but donā€™t like others doing the same. Theyā€™re an essentially illiberal government trying a free speech grift, but the fundamentally canā€™t deliver as they donā€™t believe in free speech. FFS they get triggered whenever the opposition opposes them. Bunch of thin skinned snowflakes that they are.
Ā 

Ian1779

I wonder if you had this much outrage at Windrush.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Thatā€™s their problem. They like employer freedom but not that employer freedom, they want to shut down speech they donā€™t like but donā€™t like others doing the same. Theyā€™re an essentially illiberal government trying a free speech grift, but the fundamentally canā€™t deliver as they donā€™t believe in free speech. FFS they get triggered whenever the opposition opposes them. Bunch of thin skinned snowflakes that they are.

The acid test for me is would you permit someone to burn the Union flag
Ā 

chiefdave

Are these things cancelled because the booker has had some moral epiphany or because they are worried about running the event safely? Seems unworkable, venue says we can't put this event on and guarantee everyone's safety and security - what happens then?
Ā 

shmmeee

Are these things cancelled because the booker has had some moral epiphany or because they are worried about running the event safely? Seems unworkable, venue says we can't put this event on and guarantee everyone's safety and security - what happens then?

Safety is always the reason given.

If you ask me any student involved in making an event unsafe should be expelled and trespassers on campus should be prosecuted. That would stop it pretty quickly.
Ā 
D

Deleted member 11652

Thatā€™s shocking. Imagine the outrage on here if it was a Tory.
Ā 

NorthernWisdom

Safety is always the reason given.

If you ask me any student involved in making an event unsafe should be expelled and trespassers on campus should be prosecuted. That would stop it pretty quickly.
Point of order, but many universities don't have a campus, they have buildings in public spaces - so you'd struggle to stop randomers congregating there.

Anyway, as you were ;)
Just found out Iā€™m blocked by my new Tory MP on Twitter.

Cancel culture is real.
I never understand the MPs who only limit responses to people following them etc. I mean, the whole point of twitter is dialogue surely and of course you'll get a fair few morons calling you a wanker, and a fair number blowing smoke up your arse but... you can filter them / hide them if you must, but allow people to respond to whatever you put up, as how else can people feed bck to you?!?

And that includes negative feedback too.
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread