Do you think we will be in a relegation battle? (2 Viewers)

Do you think we will be in a relegation battle?

• Yes

Votes: 106 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 42.7%

• Total voters

Liquid Gold

We did well to stay out of the bottom three for all bit 3 days of the season but we were definitely in a relegation battle.

steve cooper

We’ll have to disagree but IMO we were 100% in a relegation battle last season, hence why we were all so nervous pre-Rotherham.
Yes, fair enough. Probably you are right and I'm wrong, but I suspect It comes down to a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a relegation battle. Looking back, apart from the obvious 4 teams (including Derby) there were a number of other teams no better off than us at various times of the season. It depends how many teams you want to include in the relegation battle scenario.
I actually thought we would lose against Rotherham but was not particularly worried about it looking at our remaining fixtures and comparing them to Rotherham / Derby. Derby couldn't score goals, (even worse than us) and Rotherham had the added problem of fixture congestion which proved to be their downfall.

Mucca Mad Boys

We’ll have to disagree but IMO we were 100% in a relegation battle last season, hence why we were all so nervous pre-Rotherham.

Being consistently 6–9 pts above the the relegation zone isn’t exactly a relegation scrap. Rotherham having 3-4 games in hand made a lot of people paranoid on this board. The assumption was that they were going to win those games - despite losing the second most games in the league throughout the whole season.

Most people were nervous going into the Rotherham game because had they won, we’d have slipped into the relegation zone. Our top 10 home form probably would’ve kept us up had that have happened anyway.

The threat of relegation was real, but often well overstated throughout the season.

slowpoke

Being in a relegation battle ?
Depends what you call relegation battle there were a group of teams us included in and around the bottom six for a lot of the time but there were also teams Preston, Luton, Blackburn & Bristol City getting nervous and had the season gone on for another two or three weeks one time promotion hopefuls Bristol City could have been right in it. even Cardiff pre Mick MaCarthy were looking over their shoulder a bit. In this division you can go up and down the table in a month.

Yorkshire SB

Being consistently 6–9 pts above the the relegation zone isn’t exactly a relegation scrap. Rotherham having 3-4 games in hand made a lot of people paranoid on this board. The assumption was that they were going to win those games - despite losing the second most games in the league throughout the whole season.

Most people were nervous going into the Rotherham game because had they won, we’d have slipped into the relegation zone. Our top 10 home form probably would’ve kept us up had that have happened anyway.

The threat of relegation was real, but often well overstated throughout the season.

Do you think? Pre Rotherham, had we lost we'd have gone below them in the table and they'd have had games in hand.

Appreciate we hit form following and stayed up comfortably but could've easily lost that game and then who knows what would have happened.

slowpoke

Do you think? Pre Rotherham, had we lost we'd have gone below them in the table and they'd have had games in hand.

Appreciate we hit form following and stayed up comfortably but could've easily lost that game and then who knows what would have happened.
In a way I agree we could and should have battered Rotherham that night and won the match at a canter but had we lost and slipped into the bottom three I’m not sure we would have handled that pressure.

Sky Blue Pete

For info, Luton haven't moved yet, their new stadium at Power Court has been granted planning permission and they own freehold on the site, but the funding of the build is being worked out. Luton also own the freehold on a plot of land next to the M1, the plan was to build a retail park (they have the planning permission for that), have that fund the stadium build, and earn a wedge for the football business. Given the impact Covid has had on retail that is all under review as retail may not be the best way of maximising earnings from the M1 site. They may be looking to amend the planning permission at the M1 site from a Retail Park to a Logistics/Distribution site.

Meanwhile, I think Boddy was comparing to Luton on a footballing basis rather than comparing business models.
That’s certainly possible

Malaka

I know some are saying we need decent signings, but I think that we will be better placed having experience of playing in this league and adapted well after the initial shock at the beginning of the season. Comfortable mid table me thinks

Mucca Mad Boys

Rotherham had the 2nd or worst home record in the league and most of their games left we’re at home. So was ours and our home record was around 12th or 10th with a good record against top half teams.

On top of this, Rotherham had fixture congestion and had to play a lot of games in a short amount of time, that was going to catch up with them.

Another factor was in play too - Derby’s dreadful run of form.

It’s academic now, but we probably would’ve caught them or Derby up had we slipped into the relegation zone then.

I’ll freely admit that I was perhaps too complacent about the prospect of relegation because I was really shook after Rotherham beat QPR 3-1 leading up to that game.

COV

I think we were in a constant battle to avoid being in a relegation battle last season

A relegation battle eliminator if you like

Yorkshire SB

Rotherham had the 2nd or worst home record in the league and most of their games left we’re at home. So was ours and our home record was around 12th or 10th with a good record against top half teams.

On top of this, Rotherham had fixture congestion and had to play a lot of games in a short amount of time, that was going to catch up with them.

Another factor was in play too - Derby’s dreadful run of form.

It’s academic now, but we probably would’ve caught them or Derby up had we slipped into the relegation zone then.

I’ll freely admit that I was perhaps too complacent about the prospect of relegation because I was really shook after Rotherham beat QPR 3-1 leading up to that game.

Yeah totally agree that we probably would've been fine - but at the time I'd convinced myself Rotherham could gather momentum and if we lost that game it might break us a bit.

All I'm saying is that whilst the end table reflected a different story, it felt like we were in a relegation battle. Every 3 points, bar perhaps Rotherham and Millwall at home felt hard, every game a real fight.

Bristol sky blue

Keep reading about Matt James, but I am comparing us with the start of last season, not the side post January.

So, we are currently weaker at LB and CB but I think Robins will address that with decent loans.

Provided that Simon Moore is reasonable for us, I think we will start the season slightly stronger than last year.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah totally agree that we probably would've been fine - but at the time I'd convinced myself Rotherham could gather momentum and if we lost that game it might break us a bit.

All I'm saying is that whilst the end table reflected a different story, it felt like we were in a relegation battle. Every 3 points, bar perhaps Rotherham and Millwall at home felt hard, every game a real fight.

Momentum could’ve changed, but our away record was generally poor anyway despite a strong end.

This was definitely a premature judgement, but I felt Rotherham would get relegated after we beat them 3-1. That said, they had a surprise result in them such as wins against Middlesbrough and QPR.

At home we were a good, solid outfit. We generally won when we scored first and we took the lead more often than not. A typical win for us under Robins in his second spell.

skybluetony176

We’ve kicked on every season Robins has been here. I think we have another tough season ahead, certainly Robins most difficult as expectations will be to kick on again. That might not be possible.

Hod dog

at this point in time yes of course we will be in a relegation battle. i think we would be in mix even with new CB and new LB, 16th was an over-achievement last season (on paper) so anything around 16th again would be great, and then we can look to progress next season, we are still running a very low budget for this league v the other budgets.

another year of consolidation and with more fans supporting us at CBS, and we can have a more competitive budget and start to think about trying to move up the league.

i fear we may struggle scoring goals again this year but hope not, i really want tyler walker to come good.

gazza

All depends on the next few weeks, bring in 3-4 decent players and should be aiming for a top half finish, sell hamer and ohare think we’ll struggle

CDK

If we can maintain 6 to 8pionts away from the bottom 3 wouldn't class that a relegation battle.

Evo1883

I think we will stay up comfortably , probably finish similar or slightly better than last year 👌

Injuries hammered us last year mid season

win9nut

Just posted this nonsense in another thread, this one is probably more apt.
It's obviously wrong... As things stand, Derby can't even field a team, so any model without assumptions will show them as bottom... The question is what assumptions are being made across all the teams and how close are they to the truth...

Users who are viewing this thread