Do you think we will be in a relegation battle? (3 Viewers)

Do you think we will be in a relegation battle?

• Yes

Votes: 106 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 42.7%

• Total voters

Sky Blue Harry H

It;'s literally not asking for immediate answers but rather an early prediction.

Are these sites being extreme or is it a normal thing to do close season?

Haha - one of those sites (not the Sky one) predicts Hull, Peterborough and Blackpool all staying up. If that happens, I'll buy everyone on this site a beer. Note to self: delete post in case of emergency!

CDK

Anyone who has seen the Second XI will understand why we lost 5-0.

It was an U23s team with a couple of first team in there.
MK, O'Riley in CM is class watched him at fulham youth level and he left because he couldn't get first team football .

Sky Blue Pete

Pete can you ask your pals at SISU where our budget is 🕺🏻🤣
I wish! Better to ask Boddy and Robins. Boddy has been at pains to point out that football will be paying for keeping football going without fans for years if not the next decade.
Robins at pains to point out how low our budget is by comparison and he has an excellent relationship with Ms Seppalla.
I think the facts are that it is no solution to increase the amount of loans on amount of loans. So the only solution to significantly increase our budget year on year is to sell a young player like Ohare. That would go down well.

I’m pretty sure our transfer and wage budget is more than last year and this will slowly increase over the coming seasons if we stay up.

That said nothing is stopping Ms Seppalla saying I love the club so much forget the loans I’ll stump up an amount that I don’t want back to invest over the next 3-4 years. Would she? Doubt it? Could she? Yeah.

We need to temper our expectations with our current ownership model but don’t let that make you think that I’m not happy at the last 4 years.

We are at a bit of a cross roads and as many have said other clubs are struggling far more than us. They may be willing to take more risks and ok.

Fundamentally until the window is shut we need to be supportive of robins and boddy and see where we are at the end of august or hopefully first game.

As I say where would you like the extra money to come from?

Loans from associated Sisu companies?
We can’t borrow from elsewhere

Extra attendances than we expect?
Not likely given the apathy on here from some and the wider fan base, I don’t judge people for that it’s just a reality

Someone else’s pocket?
Some local business men with heart and soul in the ckub I could understand, Seppalla not so much

Change of ownership? Would we get another Derek robins or a Mike McGinnity???

SlowerThanPlatt

Like I said the loan market is going to be crucial this time, by end of August when the window shuts we will have played Forest, Barnsley, QPR & Reading all teams we need to emulate if we are to progress to the next level.

We need to emulate a team who finished below us?

shmmeee

I wish! Better to ask Boddy and Robins. Boddy has been at pains to point out that football will be paying for keeping football going without fans for years if not the next decade.
Robins at pains to point out how low our budget is by comparison and he has an excellent relationship with Ms Seppalla.
I think the facts are that it is no solution to increase the amount of loans on amount of loans. So the only solution to significantly increase our budget year on year is to sell a young player like Ohare. That would go down well.

I’m pretty sure our transfer and wage budget is more than last year and this will slowly increase over the coming seasons if we stay up.

That said nothing is stopping Ms Seppalla saying I love the club so much forget the loans I’ll stump up an amount that I don’t want back to invest over the next 3-4 years. Would she? Doubt it? Could she? Yeah.

We need to temper our expectations with our current ownership model but don’t let that make you think that I’m not happy at the last 4 years.

We are at a bit of a cross roads and as many have said other clubs are struggling far more than us. They may be willing to take more risks and ok.

Fundamentally until the window is shut we need to be supportive of robins and boddy and see where we are at the end of august or hopefully first game.

Not likely given the apathy on here from some and the wider fan base, I don’t judge people for that it’s just a reality

Someone else’s pocket?
Some local business men with heart and soul in the ckub I could understand, Seppalla not so much

We’ve got to grow revenue. I fail to believe a club that attracts mid table crowds is incapable of funding a mid table team. If that’s the case then we probably need to accept it’s a choice between “sustainability” and being competitive above L1.

Sky Blue Pete

We’ve got to grow revenue. I fail to believe a club that attracts mid table crowds is incapable of funding a mid table team. If that’s the case then we probably need to accept it’s a choice between “sustainability” and being competitive above L1.
That’s my fear presently. Boddy talks about following Luton about 18 months behind. I want to hold him to that seeing their progression last year and again seemingly this summer. They have moved to a new ground and own it

Fundamentally I agree with you in not understanding why we can’t compete with average crowd. It may be lots of owners willing to give rather than loan

COV

Going by 19/20 season a 17k average would put us in the top 10 in the division.

slowpoke

Someone else’s pocket?

I agree with most of that but do feel we are as high as we can get under our current ownership but then there’s the unknown element if what new owners want or do. I’m not sure either if the pandemic has helped us level out amongst so called bigger and wealthier other clubs in the championship. We are lucky imo to have the team management we have who know the situation and work well with it.

SlowerThanPlatt

That’s my fear presently. Boddy talks about following Luton about 18 months behind. I want to hold him to that seeing their progression last year and again seemingly this summer. They have moved to a new ground and own it

Fundamentally I agree with you in not understanding why we can’t compete with average crowd. It may be lots of owners willing to give rather than loan

I am vaguely interested in the working here, do you mean 18 months from now or 18 months from when you last spoke to him (when was that?)

Mucca Mad Boys

Both pretty confident of our success of a mid table finish

If we have better luck with injuries, I’m very confident we’ll be fine. Realistically, we were pretty safe last season save a 1-2 week scare.

There are gaps in our team at this moment, but we’ve got 3-4 signings to come in. I’m confident Robins will address those needs. McCallum and Walker didn’t start last season with us and I imagine we’ll add some quality before our first game v Forest.

The outlook for all clubs at all levels is not great for this summer after going nearly 18 months without revenue from ticket sales.

Mucca Mad Boys

Given our scenario and where both clubs have come from, Luton is a good mode to follow. Patience is key and I’m hopeful are young players, specifically Hamer, COH and Walker can move up another gear!

Liquid Gold

I voted yes btw.

I don't think we'll get relegated, I actually expect us to finish around 16th again. I just feel like it's going to be a more competitive division this year and we'll have to keep looking over our shoulders.

steve cooper

Does last season really count as a relegation battle?

It was uncomfortable until a few games from the end maybe but having seen a few genuine relegation battles in my time last season was not one of them tbh
Every team in the division is in the relegation battle until things settle down and a good few games are played. How many times have we seen pre-season fancied teams end up near the bottom?
My thinking is, only teams that have spent some considerable time in the bottom 3 are truly in a relegation battle, and on that basis we weren't last year and IMO we won't be this year.

Sick Boy

My thinking is, only teams that have spent some considerable time in the bottom 3 are truly in a relegation battle, and on that basis we weren't last year and IMO we won't be this year.
In that case a team could fall into the bottom 3 a few games before the end of the season and wouldn’t have been in a relegation battle.
Right.

shmmeee

In that case a team could fall into the bottom 3 a few games before the end of the season and wouldn’t have been in a relegation battle.
Right.

Im sure by this definition there’ll be teams who have actually been relegated without ever being in a relegation battle.

We barely climbed out of the bottom 6 all season. That’s a relegation battle by anyone’s standards surely? Especially if you add Sheff Weds points back on.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If they don't strengthen the defence, then yes.

Last edited:

COV

Im sure by this definition there’ll be teams who have actually been relegated without ever being in a relegation battle.

We barely climbed out of the bottom 6 all season. That’s a relegation battle by anyone’s standards surely? Especially if you add Sheff Weds points back on.

Think that happened to a few clubs when we escaped on the last day, Norwich springs to mind- never in the bottom three until the final whistle of the final day of the season

win9nut

For info, Luton haven't moved yet, their new stadium at Power Court has been granted planning permission and they own freehold on the site, but the funding of the build is being worked out. Luton also own the freehold on a plot of land next to the M1, the plan was to build a retail park (they have the planning permission for that), have that fund the stadium build, and earn a wedge for the football business. Given the impact Covid has had on retail that is all under review as retail may not be the best way of maximising earnings from the M1 site. They may be looking to amend the planning permission at the M1 site from a Retail Park to a Logistics/Distribution site.

Meanwhile, I think Boddy was comparing to Luton on a footballing basis rather than comparing business models.

ccfcricoh

If we started the season with current squad i think we would leak too many goals.

If we sign a starting LB and a CB i think we could hit the dizzy heights of 12-15

Either way i dont think we go down, mainly because i feel even if we are weaker than last year, there's other teams worst off than us

steve cooper

Right.
No, the nearer you get to the end of the season, if a team falls into the bottom 3 for a few games or even a couple of games, they are in the mix, and then in the last 3 or 4 games teams not mathematically safe can be considered to be in the mix. We didn't do that last season. Barnsley spent time in the bottom 3 in October, but no-one is claiming they were in a relegation battle.
We got a bit close in Feb / March but so did QPR and again I don't remember anyone saying they were in relegation trouble.
I know we did drop into the bottom 3 for a couple of days early on, but I think that was a result of different games played.
If you look back at random tables per month over the season it was always Sheff. W. Wycombe, Rotherham, and Birmingham until the manager was sacked. Derby were not generally looked on as relegation candidates until about March when they went into free-fall even though they were often below us in the table.

Sick Boy

No, the nearer you get to the end of the season, if a team falls into the bottom 3 for a few games or even a couple of games, they are in the mix, and then in the last 3 or 4 games teams not mathematically safe can be considered to be in the mix. We didn't do that last season. Barnsley spent time in the bottom 3 in October, but no-one is claiming they were in a relegation battle.
We got a bit close in Feb / March but so did QPR and again I don't remember anyone saying they were in relegation trouble.
I know we did drop into the bottom 3 for a couple of days early on, but I think that was a result of different games played.
If you look back at random tables per month over the season it was always Sheff. W. Wycombe, Rotherham, and Birmingham until the manager was sacked. Derby were not generally looked on as relegation candidates until about March when they went into free-fall even though they were often below us in the table.
We’ll have to disagree but IMO we were 100% in a relegation battle last season, hence why we were all so nervous pre-Rotherham.

stay_up_skyblues

I’ve answered yes as I consider any team within say 6 or 7 points of the bottom three with a third of the season gone to be part of the “battle” and I expect us to be around there, even with two or three more decent signings in the key areas. However, I also expect us to stay up fairly comfortably come the end.

slowpoke

We’ll have to disagree but IMO we were 100% in a relegation battle last season, hence why we were all so nervous pre-Rotherham.
You are correct we were in the relegation mix but we got our main injured players back and I thought just in time we became a decent side and beat some so called better teams Stoke, Barnsley, Bristol City, Millwall. We definitely got better

Users who are viewing this thread