Do you think Exeter are worried? (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

giphy.gif

Otis

Totally agree.

So very proud of the way we played tonight. That's what I call football and all neutrals must have been so impressed with us, especially considering we are a League Two side, where most of the football played is dire and not at all pleasing to the eye.

That was a joy to behold, that.

Otis

Give it a day or two and we will be worried :woot:

But I do expect the size and condition of the Wembley pitch to give us an advantage.
Yes, fair point. There should be that much more space for the likes of Bayliss to exploit.

NortonSkyBlue

If I was Exeter's manager I would be delighted to have seen the Coventry performance last night.
I would be pointing out that they have rarely followed up a great performance all season and have struggled to find any consistency.
Exeter should be favorites and rightly so over the season. Their dismantling of Lincoln was very impressive.
If I was Robins I would challenging the team to reverse the trend and overcome the last challenge In front of them as a group.
Promotion means we will need to strengthen the squad and enable us to hold on to some of our better players. Some will not make the jump but we should be forever grateful if they can get us over the line.

fred binneys head

Worried? Nah, you played really well last night but I also watched your home leg when you were playing in front of more home fans, didn’t really impress and were fortunate to get away with a draw (in my opinion). Both sides are capable of playing some great stuff, but both can also look very average (remember what we were like at your place in the league??) so it will be an interesting game to see who copes with the pressure.

We like being underdogs and seem to play well when we’ve got more fans against us than with us, like we will at Wembley where I guess you’ll have close to double the number of fans that we’ll have. You seem to be the opposite and bottle it when playing in front of large home crowds.

So no, not worried, more like excited and looking forward to seeing what happens. I think we’ll win because I’m biased, but if we lose I’ll be delighted for you as I lived in and around Coventry for 22 years of my life (age 4 to 26).

Bring it.

peace ndlovu

Worried? Nah, you played really well last night but I also watched your home leg when you were playing in front of more home fans, didn’t really impress and were fortunate to get away with a draw (in my opinion). Both sides are capable of playing some great stuff, but both can also look very average (remember what we were like at your place in the league??) so it will be an interesting game to see who copes with the pressure.

We like being underdogs and seem to play well when we’ve got more fans against us than with us, like we will at Wembley where I guess you’ll have close to double the number of fans that we’ll have. You seem to be the opposite and bottle it when playing in front of large home crowds.

So no, not worried, more like excited and looking forward to seeing what happens. I think we’ll win because I’m biased, but if we lose I’ll be delighted for you as I lived in and around Coventry for 22 years of my life (age 4 to 26).

Bring it.
Hopefully it will be a good game if football. It would have been hard to stomach losing against those Neanderthals from Notts, but if we lose to Exeter, we will probably have been beaten by a team who play in the right way. Although we were superb last night, I think most Cov fans will be aware that Exeter spent the vast majority of the season above us. Don't think anyone should get carried away.
Echo your sentiments - will be crushed if we lose, but would rather see Exeter go up than Notts Co

NortonSkyBlue

Bring it.
From 4-26 years old? Go on admit it, you are Sky Blue!!!

Astute

Bring it.
We are crap at home with a large crowd. But Wembley isn't our home. And we played well there last season with a massive Cov support.

It should be a good game. You won at your place because of a GK mistake. I hope the game is won by the team that deserves to win in an entertaining game.

Good luck next season. I like to see a team that tries to play football do well.

fred binneys head

From 4-26 years old? Go on admit it, you are Sky Blue!!!

Ha ha, no mate, I spent my school life being ridiculed for supporting Exeter while we were shit in division 4 and you were in division 1 and winning an FA Cup. I even lived near Keith Houchen and David Phillips and that didn’t turn me! I was born in Exeter, my Dad used to play for them, etc. He also played for the Villa but don’t tell anyone else on here that or they won’t like me any more.

Hobo

Hopefully Exeter are totally over confident.

Nick

Administrator
I am glad we have Exeter, obviously I want to smash them and get promoted but IF we lose then it's not as bad as losing to Lincoln with the Cowleys or Notts County with Nolan is it?

Astute

Ha ha, no mate, I spent my school life being ridiculed for supporting Exeter while we were shit in division 4 and you were in division 1 and winning an FA Cup. I even lived near Keith Houchen and David Phillips and that didn’t turn me! I was born in Exeter, my Dad used to play for them, etc. He also played for the Villa but don’t tell anyone else on here that or they won’t like me any more.
We welcome anyone here unless like the County idiot that said he was coming back after the game last night. His mummy must have sent him to bed early.

Grendel

No chance they will be worried at all.

They’ll focus on our inconsistency and weaknesses which were shown last night and if he really wants to ease any concerns Tisdale will show our Lincoln game and how our defence conspired to make a pub player look like as much a threat as Harry Kane.

They have a solid defence. He will know their players wouldn’t have conceded the third (and probably the second) goal as they will mark a lot tighter.

Bayliss has one obvious weakness which they’ll try and influence and if the can get their forwards against Grimmer in the box it’s party time.

Of course they’ll know it can go either way but they looked a decent enough team

rupert_bear

No chance they will be worried
They’ll focus on our inconsistency and weaknesses which were shown last night and if he really wants to ease any concerns Tisdale will show our Lincoln game and how our defence conspired to make a pub player look like as much a threat as Harry Kane.

They have a solid defence. He will know their players wouldn’t have conceded the third (and probably the second) goal as they will mark a lot tighter.

Bayliss has one obvious weakness which they’ll try and influence and if the can get their forwards against Grimmer in the box it’s party time.

Of course they’ll know it can go either way but they looked a decent enough team
Okay expert, tell us the obvious Bayliss weakness ?

Grendel

clint van damme

Bring it.

some good points. One think I would say though is I wouldn't analyse our home leg performance too much the pitch was shocking and in my view shouldn't have gone ahead.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Genuinely think it’ll be a fantastic game, (I say this a week in advance) but I would have no qualms if we lost to them in the respect of they’ll play football, hopefully weather like today and the best team wins!

Mucca Mad Boys

If I was Exeter's manager I would be delighted to have seen the Coventry performance last night.
I would be pointing out that they have rarely followed up a great performance all season and have struggled to find any consistency.
Exeter should be favorites and rightly so over the season. Their dismantling of Lincoln was very impressive.
If I was Robins I would challenging the team to reverse the trend and overcome the last challenge In front of them as a group.
Promotion means we will need to strengthen the squad and enable us to hold on to some of our better players. Some will not make the jump but we should be forever grateful if they can get us over the line.

This isn't the regular season anymore, the same trends don't apply and they'd be stupid to underestimate us based on those assumptions.

I agree that their dismantling of Lincoln was impressive, but, Notts County lost two games at home and we went and smashed them 4-1, I'd say that's a more impressive feat.

It's also worth noting that our Wembley support will be around double theirs so hopefully, it'll feel like home advantage for us, I don't think we'd have been a favoured opponent tbh.

NortonSkyBlue

This isn't the regular season anymore, the same trends don't apply and they'd be stupid to underestimate us based on those assumptions.

I agree that their dismantling of Lincoln was impressive, but, Notts County lost two games at home and we went and smashed them 4-1, I'd say that's a more impressive feat.

It's also worth noting that our Wembley support will be around double theirs so hopefully, it'll feel like home advantage for us, I don't think we'd have been a favoured opponent tbh.
Sorry I wasn't bigging Exeter up nor doing us down, merely stating an opinion based up the season we are still in. Lose at Wembley we are still in Division 4.
I am also sorry for what I about to say. Have our supporters ever scored s goal? Have our supporters ever saved a goal?
Our support should be 4 times theirs but it won't make any difference. Did it make a difference at FGR, Yeovil home or away? No because it's 11v11 and I hope our 11 turn up in the style of last night and not in the style of the aforementioned games.

Malaka

I knew it, ban him from this site :joyful:

Happy_Martian

Our First Leg performance was driven by the weather. The ball held up so many times, it was difficult to range passes to other boys in blue whereas as County's style bypassed the puddles. Last night's performance was a better tell of the 2 games.

As for Exeters' feelings, here's their thread ....

The 'Who will we be playing' match day thread

Mixed opinions but most think they've got the edge on experience

Mucca Mad Boys

Sorry I wasn't bigging Exeter up nor doing us down, merely stating an opinion based up the season we are still in. Lose at Wembley we are still in Division 4.
I am also sorry for what I about to say. Have our supporters ever scored s goal? Have our supporters ever saved a goal?
Our support should be 4 times theirs but it won't make any difference. Did it make a difference at FGR, Yeovil home or away? No because it's 11v11 and I hope our 11 turn up in the style of last night and not in the style of the aforementioned games.

You’re misrepresenting my point entirely.

My point is we could have an advantage going into this game because we could outnumber their support roughly 2 to 1. Which could give this game a home game ‘feel’ to it.

Home-field advantage is a phenomenon that is observable in every sport, be it football, basketball, rugby, cricket... even in the Olympics!

Happy_Martian

You’re misrepresenting my point entirely.

My point is we could have an advantage going into this game because we could outnumber their support roughly 2 to 1. Which could give this game a home game ‘feel’ to it.

Home-field advantage is a phenomenon that is observable in every sport, be it football, basketball, rugby, cricket... even in the Olympics!

We've got the same end at Wembley as we had last year at the Checkatrade Final so that presumably means we'll get enough tickets to outnumber the Exeter fans. In that context, your idea of "Home game" may be right. But there have been plenty of occasions where Coventry have underperformed in those situations through pressure and nerves. Home field advantage can be a disadvantage as well (especially when following Cov, remember the 30,000 crowd vs Crewe during Robins first reign ? ;) )

Mucca Mad Boys

We've got the same end at Wembley as we had last year at the Checkatrade Final so that presumably means we'll get enough tickets to outnumber the Exeter fans. In that context, your idea of "Home game" may be right. But there have been plenty of occasions where Coventry have underperformed in those situations through pressure and nerves. Home field advantage can be a disadvantage as well (especially when following Cov, remember the 30,000 crowd vs Crewe during Robins first reign ? ;) )

I remember that game all too well.

You’re right though, it certainly increases the pressure, but, more often than not, a ‘home field’ advantage is more of an advantage than disadvantage.

A lot has been said by other teams about our ‘inexperience’, but I think our young players are fearless, especially Bayliss, and our backed up by some really good experiences pros (Kelly and Doyle).

I’m not too phased about Exeter, they’re beatable. We beat them at home, and they won 1-0 at their place after Burge’s mistake and it seemed like an even game aside from that. After losing to Lincoln recently, I’m a little bit glad we don’t have to play them again.

Warwickhunt

Hopefully it will be a good game if football. It would have been hard to stomach losing against those Neanderthals from Notts, but if we lose to Exeter, we will probably have been beaten by a team who play in the right way. Although we were superb last night, I think most Cov fans will be aware that Exeter spent the vast majority of the season above us. Don't think anyone should get carried away.
Echo your sentiments - will be crushed if we lose, but would rather see Exeter go up than Notts Co
notts county spent all season above us as well:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Covstu

If we play like that, the6 should be but sadly we can never string two performances together!

chiefdave

My companies head office is in Exeter and if they're anything to go by they're more concerned about egg chasing than what play offs.

Users who are viewing this thread