Do You Remember Doyle & Hughes? (1 Viewer)

Offhegoes

Although being out of the Ricoh, and a 'club in crisis', isn't it a little more exciting than those horrible lower mid table seasons in the Championship under Reid / Adams / Dowie / Coleman / Boothroyd?

I remember that Hughes/Doyle partnership like the ugliest girl you bedded! Hughes, was ex-arsenal, with a attitude and a deadly left foot apparently.He appeared to have no work rate, passion or drive about his game. Simple sideways passes and that's about it. Doyle, although the better of the two, was a severly limited footballer, another left footer (giving us no balance), with an engine, but an inability to trap a football, and pass. Admittely he was better with a creative player like Wise.

Not saying its great now, but having young players coming through like Clark, Daniels, Thomas, Wilson, Phillips, Fleck, Adams is a breath of fresh air.

RoboCCFC90

I had been able to...........

Until about 35 minutes ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfatronssba

Although being out of the Ricoh, and a 'club in crisis', isn't it a little more exciting than those horrible lower mid table seasons in the Championship under Reid / Adams / Dowie / Coleman / Boothroyd?

I remember that Hughes/Doyle partnership like the ugliest girl you bedded! Hughes, was ex-arsenal, with a attitude and a deadly left foot apparently.He appeared to have no work rate, passion or drive about his game. Simple sideways passes and that's about it. Doyle, although the better of the two, was a severly limited footballer, another left footer (giving us no balance), with an engine, but an inability to trap a football, and pass. Admittely he was better with a creative player like Wise.

Not saying its great now, but having young players coming through like Clark, Daniels, Thomas, Wilson, Phillips, Fleck, Adams is a breath of fresh air.

Yep, the lower mid table League 1 season is so much more exciting.

SkyBlueM

'Yep, the lower mid table League 1 season is so much more exciting'

Eight consecutive league wins and an FA cup semi final - dreadful

stupot07

'Yep, the lower mid table League 1 season is so much more exciting'

Eight consecutive league wins and an FA cup semi final - dreadful

I think he meant us now compared to Adams / dowie / Coleman, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sterling Archer

As for Hughes, he was excellent in his first season for us if I remember rightly (didn't he get fans player of the season?) before he turned to pish.

stupot07

Ask a Sheff Utd fan for their opinion and you'll get the opposite. They can't stand him and hate that due to the captaincy he gets far more game time than he should.

True but you can fault his record in league one.

2009/10 promoted with Leeds
2011/12 finished 3rd lost in play off final
2012/13 finished 5th reached play offs
2013/14 - FA cup semi final,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sterling Archer

True but you can fault his record in league one.

2009/10 promoted with Leeds
2011/12 finished 3rd lost in play off final
2012/13 finished 5th reached play offs
2013/14 - FA cup semi final,

His record or the clubs he played for records?

Dimi Traore has a champions league winners medal by the way.

stupot07

His record or the clubs he played for records?

Dimi Traore has a champions league winners medal by the way.

I'm just pointing out that in this league, his/his club record is pretty good. And unlike Traore he was pretty much ever present and/or captain and achieve those thing over a number of seasons not 1.

covcity4life

So why would you prefer Thomas over Doyle?

thomas

doyle was terrible!

i dont mind you saying you would like a defensive midfielder instead of thomas but doyle is shite and anyone who likes him knows nothing about football.

Nick

Administrator
thomas

doyle was terrible!

i dont mind you saying you would like a defensive midfielder instead of thomas but doyle is shite and anyone who likes him knows nothing about football.

Where did I say I liked him? Just said I would prefer him over Thomas alongside Fleck.

Sterling Archer

At this stage of their careers, you go for Thomas every day of the week. For the following reasons:

1. The anger my Sheffield United supporting mate has about how bad Doyle is makes me laugh. Laughing is good for the soul and makes me happy.
2. Thomas is younger and has the more potential to improve at this stage of his career than Doyle.
3. I'd rather see us play a younger talent than a guy who failed for us for a large percentage of his career.
4. Doyle's purple patch for us was alongside Dennis Wise, who I'm pretty certain will not come out of retirement to help Micky.
5. I am pretty certain that the assumption I make about Doyle being on bigger wages than Thomas is true.
6. By most accounts, Doyle is a bit of a prick who can easily disrupt dressing room harmony. This is very precious for a club in our current position.
7. I had to endure over 200 games of watching Doyle foul and kick the ball out of play as well as hear the utterly ludicrous notion of "every team needs a player like Doyle in their side", I'm not sure I could take going through all of that again. I've only just stopped the counseling.

The greatest compliment I could ever give Doyle is not he was nowhere near as bad as Gary Deegan.

Thomas is quite clearly lacking in form at the moment and I've never believed in the hype surrounding him after the whole Liverpool shenanigans either. But the prospect of seeing a 33 year old Doyle trundle round for us instead, fills me with the fear.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I agree about the wages and the room to improve, I just mean that right now purely based on football he would do a better job.

Yes, he might not be able to pick out 40 yard passes, but as an example would he keep the ball in play in the oppositions half in the last minute for no apparent reason?

covcity4life

I agree about the wages and the room to improve, I just mean that right now purely based on football he would do a better job.

Yes, he might not be able to pick out 40 yard passes, but as an example would he keep the ball in play in the oppositions half in the last minute for no apparent reason?

he cant pick out 40 yard passes but he continualy tries too, thats stupid or selfish

either way we dont want/need him

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

What makes you so sure?

Sheffield United fans have wanted him out of the side all season. He's their joke figure. If I could be arsed, I'd get some links from a SUFC forum to prove this but I really need to get out of a thread discussing Doyle before it makes me want to jump out of a window.

I was delighted when we finally got rid of him.

torchomatic

I thought Doyle was poor. One of the worst players I've seen in a City shirt since Paul Telfer. However, I'd have him back like a shot now. The weak spot in our midfield at the moment is Connor who gives the ball away constantly.

wingy

I thought Doyle was poor. One of the worst players I've seen in a City shirt since Paul Telfer. However, I'd have him back like a shot now. The weak spot in our midfield at the moment is Connor who gives the ball away constantly.

Did you think he did better yesterday ,sounded like It.

Users who are viewing this thread