Do You Need To Go The Gym ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

A pal of mine joined a gym paying a fair amount of money to join etc,but he's jacked it in after a few months.I used to go myself years ago but much prefer to keep fit by walking and work out at home now and again,plus my job of window cleaning keeps me fit anyway.Do you think gyms are a rip off,or do they offer a good service ?

covmark

I use the gym. Have done for 18 months. Wasn't particularly fat, but was slightly overweight. I lost 1 and half stone. I gave up smoking the same time as I joined the gym, so in effect that paid for it. The fact I pay to go is enough of an incentive for me. If I'm paying £30 odd per month, I want to get my money's worth.
There's no way I'd keep up the exercise regime at home. Once I get home from work I can't be arsed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

I use the gym. Have done for 18 months. Wasn't particularly fat, but was slightly overweight. I lost 1 and half stone. I gave up smoking the same time as I joined the gym, so in effect that paid for it. The fact I pay to go is enough of an incentive for me. If I'm paying £30 odd per month, I want to get my money's worth.
There's no way I'd keep up the exercise regime at home. Once I get home from work I can't be arsed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
That sounds really positive so the gym has been good for you then. My mate just got bored like so many people,but fair play to you and hope you keep it up.

Covstu

The volume of travel I do and two young kids limits what I can do. Use my bike to keep fit at the weekend and pop it on the turbo during the week. Does the job! Could never be arsed with gyms

bringbackrattles

The volume of travel I do and two young kids limits what I can do. Use my bike to keep fit at the weekend and pop it on the turbo during the week. Does the job! Could never be arsed with gyms
I used to go to the gym at the Coventry Sports Centre in the late 80's and it was down by the boiler house,with just weights and that was about it.Frequented by bouncers and proper body builders it was really rough and ready,and with nothing like they have in gyms these days it was a good place to go.Some of them are more like social clubs which is fine if that's your thing,but I much preferred the spit and sawdust places !

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Go most days, its all well and good saying just do sit ups at home. It never happens!

Have weights in the garden, never both with them. Much prefer to leave it at the gym.

Covstu

I used to go to the gym at the Coventry Sports Centre in the late 80's and it was down by the boiler house,with just weights and that was about it.Frequented by bouncers and proper body builders it was really rough and ready,and with nothing like they have in gyms these days it was a good place to go.Some of them are more like social clubs which is fine if that's your thing,but I much preferred the spit and sawdust places !
I know what you mean, I used to do martial arts In a similar type of place, good team spirit and you wouldn't mess with the grapplers!

bringbackrattles

Go most days, its all well and good saying just do sit ups at home. It never happens!

Have weights in the garden, never both with them. Much prefer to leave it at the gym.
I reckon as long as someone does some exercise either in a gym or at home or outdoors,it's better than nothing at all !

Marty

I'm currently trying to lose a bit of excess weight. Completely changed my diet. I run, do pilates and play football, as well as having a physical job. Wanting to join a gym soon for the weights.

Nathccfc

I go to the gym and like Nick says, it's different at home because you have too many factors which can stop you from doing exercises , in my eyes if I'm paying £29 a month for a gym membership, then I have to go otherwise that's a waste of that money, and I can make my workout more fun being at a gym as the variety of exercises you can do at a gym as apposed to at home is massive. I have tried doing sit ups, press ups squats, etc at home but after a few days I get bored of it, so in my eyes it's worth paying for the gym.

Macca

Guess so but that's down to will power I guess. Personally I find the ease of exercising at home much better and more flexible. Just for me I'm in far better shape doing the kind of stuff I mentioned earlier rather than gym based machines, and running, walking etc is free too :)

mechaishida

I've always hated the gym, tbh, but I've never really required it in the past; martial arts kept me fit - Jiu-Jitsu, Tae-kwon Do and Ninjutsu.

The old knees aren't up to the former two, so I'm looking for a Ninjutsu class close to me...which presents a problem, since I'm 20 miles from civilisation. :mad:

bringbackrattles

Got rid of a bit of a hangover earlier on by going for a long walk down the Slough nature reserve not far from where I live, as it's situated between Wood End and Aldermans Green. A great winters landscape with snow etc and there's lots of wildlife down there.Just a few dog walkers so it was peaceful as you do get youths on motor bikes now and again.Tell you what it does half refresh you and to me it's healthy and free !

Sick Boy

Got rid of a bit of a hangover earlier on by going for a long walk down the Slough nature reserve not far from where I live, as it's situated between Wood End and Aldermans Green. A great winters landscape with snow etc and there's lots of wildlife down there.Just a few dog walkers so it was peaceful as you do get youths on motor bikes now and again.Tell you what it does half refresh you and to me it's healthy and free !

I love crisp snowy walks in the countryside, it's so invigorating. I was lucky enough to live close to the dolomiti in Italy and walking in the mountains every Sunday was incredible.

These days I train at my local boxing gym 3 nights a week. Don't really have a lot of time for the gym; I find it full of posers and idiots doing free weights who think they the dog's testicles.

bringbackrattles

I love crisp snowy walks in the countryside, it's so invigorating. I was lucky enough to live close to the dolomiti in Italy and walking in the mountains every Sunday was incredible.

These days I train at my local boxing gym 3 nights a week. Don't really have a lot of time for the gym; I find it full of posers and idiots doing free weights who think they the dog's testicles.
I got talking to an ex Coventry boxer in the pub yesterday Gil Lewis
who now trains fighters at his home and at Red Corner gym.I mentioned to him that my 30 year old son wants to take up boxing as he had to pack in football due to a knee injury.I asked him if he may be too old ? Gil replied no as he boxed till his mid thirties,do you enjoy it ?

oakey

Each to their own but I wouldn't touch gyms with a bargepole. A money making scam IMO.
There are plenty of free ways to exercise but it's your money spend it on whatever you like.

Sick Boy

I got talking to an ex Coventry boxer in the pub yesterday Gil Lewis
who now trains fighters at his home and at Red Corner gym.I mentioned to him that my 30 year old son wants to take up boxing as he had to pack in football due to a knee injury.I asked him if he may be too old ? Gil replied no as he boxed till his mid thirties,do you enjoy it ?

Yes I love it and can't imagine life without it now! I've been doing it since my teens but a nasty wrist injury playing football stopped me having any chance of doing something more with it. These days I do it for fitnesa and for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I just turned 31 and so am a similar age to your son. It's amazing how it can have such an impact on your life in terms of confidence and self-discipline and fitness, of course.

Your son certainly isn't too old and I know people in their late 50s who still box for the fitness side of it.

The first few sessions will wipe him out completely but you just have to keep going; the high he will experience will make sure of that I'm sure!!

bringbackrattles

Yes I love it and can't imagine life without it now! I've been doing it since my teens but a nasty wrist injury playing football stopped me having any chance of doing something more with it. These days I do it for fitnesa and for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I just turned 31 and so am a similar age to your son. It's amazing how it can have such an impact on your life in terms of confidence and self-discipline and fitness, of course.

Your son certainly isn't too old and I know people in their late 50s who still box for the fitness side of it.

The first few sessions will wipe him out completely but you just have to keep going; the high he will experience will make sure of that I'm sure!!
Thanks for that and hopefully he'll give it a go and Gil the ex boxer said he'll train him for free for a couple of sessions.I might go along with him as I did some boxing training years ago and you're right as it is the most intensive work out,and my whole body ached after my first session. But I stuck at it and loved it even though I couldn't lift my arms for a week !

wingy

We should all take up Plastering, recognised as the most physical job going.
IE will give the best aerobic workout of any job.

olderskyblue

Having tried to plaster a wall once, you'd pay me to keep out of your house!

I tried the same once, and well, it didn't turn out as expected.....

I think Sick Boy might have liked it though, would have reminded him of his time in the Dolomites....

ajsccfc

Gyms are great if people make use of them. I increasingly didn't bother and cancelled mine as I kind of hate every second of it so instead I run more which I also hate and play football which I like but am terrible at. How much is lipo?

Nick

Administrator
Gyms are great if people make use of them. I increasingly didn't bother and cancelled mine as I kind of hate every second of it so instead I run more which I also hate and play football which I like but am terrible at. How much is lipo?

I think it depends what you do, I hate running and treadmills / jogging on concrete hurts my legs but grass is ok.

If you have a decent routine the gym is ok, when people just go and aimlessly wander round they don't really get into it.

Monners

Always found the gym a bit dull, prefer to be in the outdoors. Can't run much now due to arthritis in the left knee (I could hop I suppose). Walking and (ugh, cycling) for me now.

ajsccfc

I think it depends what you do, I hate running and treadmills / jogging on concrete hurts my legs but grass is ok.

If you have a decent routine the gym is ok, when people just go and aimlessly wander round they don't really get into it.

It's the other people part that put me off. I hate crowds generally so I'd go at 7am, but then people are just lingering on machines whereas I want to do my bit and then get out of there. Couldn't be doing with it.

Nick

Administrator
It's the other people part that put me off. I hate crowds generally so I'd go at 7am, but then people are just lingering on machines whereas I want to do my bit and then get out of there. Couldn't be doing with it.

Ah yeah, I don't go for the social side of it. Some people go and just chat shit, I prefer to go when it is quiet and do what I need to and get out of there.

bringbackrattles

So looking through the comments to my thread I think the verdict reached is that gyms are fine but you have to enjoy it there or you'll get fed up and jack it in. But the thing about outdoor exercise it's free and accessible whenever the mood takes you,and the same as a work out at home you can do it whenever you like. I've just done a few hours window cleaning today and it certainly freshened me up !

Covstu

Stick to outdoors, its more varied if you run or cycle. Bit crap in the winter but for me thats part of the challenge.

bringbackrattles

There's something good about being outdoors and exercising or working I find. Remember Rocky working out in one of his films ? chopping wood,running through snow etc,so if it's good enough for Rocky !

CJ_covblaze

I use Puregym at the Skydome. Mainly due to the 24 hour opening. Haven't been able to go much recently because of my knee but am slowly getting back into it. Agree with with others have said about the more traditional type places. Best one I've been to was in Montego Bay. Weights rattled and clanked, paint peeling off the walls, etc. Felt like I was actually doing the work rather than feeling like I'm pushing a button. Best thing about it was this view though!
IMG_0672.jpg

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Im into bodybuilding love the gym and working out i follow the sport, i only go for old skool bodybuilder gyms to train no messing about not these stupid pansy ass shiny new gyms everyone thinking they are working out all they do is talk and on their phone pisses me off. working out and exercise no matter if its indoors or out all mental thing and diet. its simple your either lazy or want to do it. the newer gyms know theres a fad and people every new year do same thing oh ill go get in shape pay stupid money and dont shop around then even worse join pay money and dont use what they pay thats my 2 cents haha.

Users who are viewing this thread