Do you know who gets most of my sympathy? (1 Viewer)

Sterling Archer

The generation of Coventry fans that know no better than the Championship years since relegation.

The fans growing up and starting to go to football in the 60's, 70's and 80's eras of Cov all have the FA Cup win as their cherished CCFC memory and for the older folk the Jimmy Hill era and European football (albeit briefly) alongside some top 6/7 placed finishes in Englands top tier of football.

I grew up and started going to games in the 90's. I missed out on all the above but at least I can look back and remember some brilliant matches (3-2 Man Utd, 2-1 away at Spurs, winning at Anfield a few times) and fantastic players (Dublin, Nilsson, Ndlovu, Keane, Huckerby etc). Although there was little to cheer in terms of silverware, I look back on this period of the club fondly.

There are now a generation of CCFC fans who know no better than 17th placed finishes in the Championship, the hoof ball days of Adams and Boothroyd and some very ordinary players/manager continually coming through the revolving door of CCFC personnel. I feel sorry for these guys and I also feel sorry for myself. In the last 10 years we haven't even had a sniff of the play offs. The 8th placed finish under Adams was even misleading as we were a massive 12 points off the play off places.

Unfortunately things are only going to get worse before they get better, everyone is feeling at an all time low but just thought I'd state my sorrows for those generation of fans who have literally had nothing to cheer about, look back on fondly and have no Sky Blue memories to reminisce about when times like now are tough.

If we DO relegated (which unfortunately looks extremely likely) I really do genuinely hope we take the Johnstones Paint Trophy seriously as us long suffering fans deserve a day out at Wembley and some silverware.

skybluesam66

With our current squad the only hope we have of any joy in the next few years, is that our academy lads grow up quickly -

Dunn
Clarke cameron Keogh hussey
Bigi Thomas Ruffles
Clarke Harris, Daniels

That is the team that we will need to develop very quickly
As for the current bunch of wasters
Eastwood/deegan/bell/baker/sheff - Ok have a go at sisu, but these 5 are an absolute disgrace

Jimmy Hill's Chin

On this subject I am reminded of the line from the classic James song "Sit Down" - "If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor"

As a child of the late 80's and 90s, it totally encapsulates my feelings about CCFC at present.

Last edited:

Glenn Storer

I don't think this generation need much sympathy, they all support ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelski. Must be an easy life!

Dream on! I got dragged to Notts Forest away at the age of 4. Been buggered ever since. Said on another thread a while back, away games do my tits now. On the coach, the lads and my Dad just talk about good memories and players i.e. cup win, hutchinson etc.

Me? Beating Blackburn a couple of times, Utd's reserve side, Mifsud and the occassional tonking of Barnsley.

Reckon I just like the punishment.

Dream on! I got dragged to Notts Forest away at the age of 4. Been buggered ever since. Said on another thread a while back, away games do my tits now. On the coach, the lads and my Dad just talk about good memories and players i.e. cup win, hutchinson etc.

Me? Beating Blackburn a couple of times, Utd's reserve side, Mifsud and the occassional tonking of Barnsley.

Reckon I just like the punishment.

GlennStorer, you took the words right out of my mouth! Only really started to understand football as we got relegated but been hooked ever since!

Sterling Archer

This is where I have the stupid and naive notion that considering the last 10 years, its bound to pick up soon or one day. Isn't it? ISN'T IT ?!?!?!?!

Next week, Bill Gates buys Cov, gets Mourinho as manager and gives him £100m to rebuild a squad capable of staying up this year and challenging for the Prem within 3 years. He also knocks down the Ricoh and rebuilds Highfield Road.

Sky Blue M

With our current squad the only hope we have of any joy in the next few years, is that our academy lads grow up quickly -

Dunn
Clarke cameron Keogh hussey
Bigi Thomas Ruffles
Clarke Harris, Daniels

That is the team that we will need to develop very quickly
As for the current bunch of wasters
Eastwood/deegan/bell/baker/sheff - Ok have a go at sisu, but these 5 are an absolute disgrace

There going to be so good that we only need to play with 10!!! :D

Covstu

Long suffering fan however my first year was in 1987 so had the fortunate opportunity of supporting city in our finest hour and been through the 'entertainers' stage and dodge relegation every year. I totally agree that some of our fans have not had a pinch of success apart from the odd games which is a shame! I think we are all suffering equally now at the moment! :facepalm::facepalm:

Tankie

The Scenerio of remembering the Jimmy Hill era, is sadly a double edged sword.
The Football was truly exciting, and addictive, but the down side is,..when I look in my diary these days, the list of appointments with Hospital consultants, is far longer than the list of appointments with a pretty girl, and I'm constantly asking.."who is that old man who lives in my bathroom mirror"
8_2_99.gif

Tankie

The generation of Coventry fans that know no better than the Championship years since relegation.

The fans growing up and starting to go to football in the 60's, 70's and 80's eras of Cov all have the FA Cup win as their cherished CCFC memory and for the older folk the Jimmy Hill era and European football (albeit briefly) alongside some top 6/7 placed finishes in Englands top tier of football.

I grew up and started going to games in the 90's. I missed out on all the above but at least I can look back and remember some brilliant matches (3-2 Man Utd, 2-1 away at Spurs, winning at Anfield a few times) and fantastic players (Dublin, Nilsson, Ndlovu, Keane, Huckerby etc). Although there was little to cheer in terms of silverware, I look back on this period of the club fondly.

There are now a generation of CCFC fans who know no better than 17th placed finishes in the Championship, the hoof ball days of Adams and Boothroyd and some very ordinary players/manager continually coming through the revolving door of CCFC personnel. I feel sorry for these guys and I also feel sorry for myself. In the last 10 years we haven't even had a sniff of the play offs. The 8th placed finish under Adams was even misleading as we were a massive 12 points off the play off places.

Unfortunately things are only going to get worse before they get better, everyone is feeling at an all time low but just thought I'd state my sorrows for those generation of fans who have literally had nothing to cheer about, look back on fondly and have no Sky Blue memories to reminisce about when times like now are tough.

If we DO relegated (which unfortunately looks extremely likely) I really do genuinely hope we take the Johnstones Paint Trophy seriously as us long suffering fans deserve a day out at Wembley and some silverware.

Interesting....I remember a different mid/late 90's of trying to stay up and take on as much debt as possible but what about that year we never won on the road. Very up and down for me. I think if we had stayed in the Prem for at least one more season when the money really changed it would have been a totally different story.

Users who are viewing this thread