Do we even miss Hamer? (1 Viewer)

Cheylesmore ITK

Hamer wasn’t a bad defender and it was never the case that we played 3 CBs to allow Hamer and Sheaf to play together. Hamer is not a CAM and has alway been a CM who is good on and off the ball.

The way Eccles and Sheaf get forward in the current system goes against the claim Hamer couldn’t play with Sheaf in our current midfield. Frankly, we’re a more attacking outfit and Hamer would add to that.

This is just silly talk now. Hamer is a better player than both Sheaf and Eccles and we could play any formation and he’d be selected to play.
Eccles and Hamer do get forward but they are a lot more disciplined than Hamer was. They choose when to get forward, the issue with Hamer is he doesn't and just goes forward.

He's a great player but if we played with him we'd likely have to move from a double pivot to a single pivot allowing him to operate more as an 8 than one of the 2 6's we play now.

Mucca Mad Boys

That's true but the thread title was "Do we miss him", I argue we do not based purely on results.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

We have differing interpretations of what the question means I suppose.

My interpretation of the question is: would we be a better team with him? I think we’d both agree on that answer being yes.

Your interpretation, as I understand it, is more performance based. In which case, I agree on two points:

1) The transfer revenue generated by Hamer and Gyokeres has enabled us to strengthen the team as a whole and in the medium-long term.

2) As a result, our performances and league position reflect this overall strengthening of the team.

I still hold the belief that we miss attributes that Hamer brought to the table. Particularly, we miss a CM that can get forward as well as launching attacks with deep passes. Hopefully, Victor Torp fits that profile and can make an impact in the Championship.

Hertsccfc

We have differing interpretations of what the question means I suppose.

My interpretation of the question is: would we be a better team with him? I think we’d both agree on that answer being yes.

Your interpretation, as I understand it, is more performance based. In which case, I agree on two points:

1) The transfer revenue generated by Hamer and Gyokeres has enabled us to strengthen the team as a whole and in the medium-long term.

2) As a result, our performances and league position reflect this overall strengthening of the team.

I still hold the belief that we miss attributes that Hamer brought to the table. Particularly, we miss a CM that can get forward as well as launching attacks with deep passes. Hopefully, Victor Torp fits that profile and can make an impact in the Championship.
I agree with that but I would add we miss Gyokeres more than Hamer. Our midfield would certainly be enhanced by Hamer but without him it is still effective. We miss Gyokers' strength, skill and ability to occupy defenders far more.

Mucca Mad Boys

Eccles and Hamer do get forward but they are a lot more disciplined than Hamer was. They choose when to get forward, the issue with Hamer is he doesn't and just goes forward.

He's a great player but if we played with him we'd likely have to move from a double pivot to a single pivot allowing him to operate more as an 8 than one of the 2 6's we play now.
I agree with that but I would add we miss Gyokeres more than Hamer. Our midfield would certainly be enhanced by Hamer but without him it is still effective. We miss Gyokers' strength, skill and ability to occupy defenders far more.

Gyokeres is clearly the best player the club has had for a very long time. Hamer was a ‘clutch’ performer and without his end of season performances, I doubt we’d have made the playoffs. Let alone the playoff final and it’s fair to say Hamer came up bigger than Gyokeres in those final months of the season. Both players were carrying injuries remember.

I don’t think Gyokeres would perform as well in this seasons team versus last seasons and that’s because of our midfield. A classic Gyokeres goal involvement involved Hamer.

Things that Eccles and Sheaf generally lack compared to Hamer:
- dribbling
- key passes (last season)
- shooting
- passes from deep
- set pieces

It’s no surprise that statistically, Torp scores highly in:
- dribbling
- shooting
- xA (expected assists)
- 80-85% pass accuracy suggests more direct passing

It’s fair to say that Robins is looking for a midfielder with a ‘profile’ of attributes similar to what Hamer could offer. After all, we still like to be direct and move the ball quickly when we counter teams.

Cally Fedora

I’ll give you set pieces but Sheaf isn’t far behind Hamer in a lot else - if at all. We’d miss Sheaf a good deal more than Hamer.

I miss him

Seen on Transfer Rumour page that he has been seen by some fellas missus walking into the Ricoh with King and Robins and has accepted a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy at the end of it.

Do not know how true it is but you might not be missing him for much longer

Mucca Mad Boys

If Victor Toro’s debut is anything to go by… We most certainly missed Hamer and Torp could fill the void.

He will get goals, assists and an upgrade in set pieces. Good work MR and the team!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What was it the Terminator said ? 🤫

Arnold Schwarzenegger Movie GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

Malaka

Seen on Transfer Rumour page that he has been seen by some fellas missus walking into the Ricoh with King and Robins and has accepted a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy at the end of it.

Do not know how true it is but you might not be missing him for much longer
He is often there TBF

Flying Fokker

That’s down to what exactly? Using that logic, we’re a better team with Simms/Godden upfront than Gyokeres. Which I’m sure we can both agree is simply not true.

We’ve changed formation and improved our team across the board. Had we kept Hamer, he’d be the first name on the team sheet and we’d be better team than we are now.
Much of the play was through home created by him rather than the team?

Mucca Mad Boys

I wonder if people would change their opinions now?

This negative run against Top half teams (Norwich, PNE and WBA) may suggest that perhaps our midfield isn’t as good as people believe.

messiahrobins

I wonder if people would change their opinions now?

This negative run against Top half teams (Norwich, PNE and WBA) may suggest that perhaps our midfield isn’t as good as people believe.
Would he have helped us defensively? We are scoring goals regularly but conceding way too many. Pretty sure Hamer's best performances came when he moved further forward when we lost Ohare and had Sheaf and Kelly/Eccles behind him

Mucca Mad Boys

Would he have helped us defensively? We are scoring goals regularly but conceding way too many. Pretty sure Hamer's best performances came when he moved further forward when we lost Ohare and had Sheaf and Kelly/Eccles behind him
Not a chance. He’s played CM more or less the whole time.

We played more directly with Hamer because he had the quality to launch counter attacks from deep. Every time we tried it last night the passes were mostly intercepted or too strong/weak to our forwards.

Hamer was no slacker defensively either, I don’t get where this narrative has come from since he left? Our defensive record was a lot stronger last season.

Central midfield is unequivocally the only position that isn’t stronger than it was last season. Even in the striker position, we had nothing besides Gyokeres and it was lucky he and Hamer stayed fit last season.

Hamer has something that the likes of Eccles, Torp (so far), Sheaf and COH (to a lesser extent): the ability to drag us through games.

Hertsccfc

We played more directly with Hamer because he had the quality to launch counter attacks from deep. Every time we tried it last night the passes were mostly intercepted or too strong/weak to our forwards.

Hamer was no slacker defensively either, I don’t get where this narrative has come from since he left? Our defensive record was a lot stronger last season.

Central midfield is unequivocally the only position that isn’t stronger than it was last season. Even in the striker position, we had nothing besides Gyokeres and it was lucky he and Hamer stayed fit last season.

Hamer has something that the likes of Eccles, Torp (so far), Sheaf and COH (to a lesser extent): the ability to drag us through games.
Good grief!! You seriously think our forwards are better this season than Gyokeres?

messiahrobins

was that defensive record down to hamer or because Doyle Mcnally and Mcfadzean was a much better unit than Thomas Latabadieure Binks/Kitching ?

Mucca Mad Boys

Good grief!! You seriously think our forwards are better this season than Gyokeres?
No, obviously not. The fact we don’t have Maguire or Walker as backup options is progress.

Gyokeres was the Championship’s best player last season. We weren’t topping that whoever we signed.

Users who are viewing this thread