Do we even miss Hamer? (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Yes we do. That’s why we’ve just spent £2.1m on a CM. But only in terms of would our team be better without him. The team as a whole has stepped up and no player is as important as Vik or Gus were last year.

Gleneagles65

Those Barnsley boys have fitted in well now haven’t they! Hamer and Vik were awesome but the money received for them was so well spent last summer.

HadjiChippo

Can’t help but think Gus was badly advised, sure the prem money at Sheff Utd is definitely a level up (or several) what we could offer, or that a La Liga/Serie A/Feyenoord could offer.

But, I’ve watched that Sheffield Utd side a few times this season and they just don’t play to his strengths whatsoever or even in the right position sometimes. Just seems a complete mismatch. Still been one of their most consistent performers though. He’d tear things up at a decent footballing side in Europe/Better prem side.

I’m glad we got the money for him and have moved on well without, but wish we could have had prem football with him even if just for one season. There must’ve been more attractive footballing offers on the table.

Last edited:

Greggs

Question is, would we try and sign him if we went up and the blades went down, I don't think we would.

Brylowes

He’s a very good footballer, I said to my brother when he left that it would likely improve us as a team, we were ‘imho’ to reliant on him and it probably prevented others from stepping up.

Definitely more of a team now with more to offer across the board, thing with a one trick pony is it’s pretty one dimensional and eventually pretty easy to work out and nullify.

All stepping up to the mark now and long may it continue.

WestEndAgro

Can’t help but think Gus was badly advised, sure the prem money at Sheff Utd is definitely a level up (or several) what we could offer, or that a La Liga/Serie A/Feyenoord could offer.

But, I’ve watched that Sheffield Utd side a few times this season and they just don’t play to his strengths whatsoever or even in the right position sometimes. Just seems a complete mismatch. Still been one of their most consistent performers though. He’d tear things up at a decent footballing side in Europe/Better prem side.

I’m glad we got the money for him and have moved on well without, but wish we could have had prem football with him even if just for one season. There must’ve been more attractive footballing offers on the table.
🙏 for Gus

Sick Boy

If there were he would have taken them. It seems the only interest was from Sheff Utd and he’ll be back in the Championship next season.

Astute

It depends on what you mean by miss him. I miss his cheeky smile. I miss the runs, goals and his passion. I miss not having the best midfielder in the Championship. I also miss Gyokeres. How couldn't you. But if you compare having 2 excellent players to having the side we now have I wouldn't change a thing.

Flying Fokker

I miss Gyokeres. Watching poor Godden running through treacle all game touching the ball less than 10 times compared to Vik the beast last season.

Doesn't bear thinking about where we'd be if he was still here
Something bugs me at the moment. Robins and Oggy both said that Goddens work rate is outstanding/phenomenal or another superlative. I didnt see it yesterday. On 60 mins I thought both Godden and Sakamoto should make way for Allen and Simms.

Flying Fokker

In the Massive games last season he was incredible.

I still maintain if he didn't go off injured in play off final after his goal. We would have won it with him in extra time. That loss was massive.

He carried us almost to the premier league.
Agreed, but we are also doing ok without him.

Gman1987

Something bugs me at the moment. Robins and Oggy both said that Goddens work rate is outstanding/phenomenal or another superlative. I didnt see it yesterday. On 60 mins I thought both Godden and Sakamoto should make way for Allen and Simms.
Can’t say I Agree, like last week Godden absolutely bust his chops off, chasing everything down. Agree the subs could of been earlier though

Mucca Mad Boys

Would this team be better if Hamer was in it, yes or no?

For me, the answer is absolutely yes. We miss his goals, assists and defensive contributions - he was box office.

Eccles and Sheaf have stepped up this season, credit to them. But, neither of them are performing close to Hamer last season. Therefore, this is an area we need to improve if we are to progress as a club.

fernandopartridge

Would this team be better if Hamer was in it, yes or no?

For me, the answer is absolutely yes. We miss his goals, assists and defensive contributions - he was box office.

Eccles and Sheaf have stepped up this season, credit to them. But, neither of them are performing close to Hamer last season. Therefore, this is an area we need to improve if we are to progress as a club.
We've scored more, create more, concede less. Obviously some of his capability was brilliant but he had downsides as well.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I wonder if Vik had gone to the PL and Hamer abroad is the saltiness about them would be swapped 🤣

TomRad85

I wonder if Vik had gone to the PL and Hamer abroad is the saltiness about them would be swapped
Vik was always clear about what be wanted.
Vik chose his move carefully and is playing for good club, in Europe.
Vik will earn us a lot more money in the future.

Gus fucked us about all summer.
Gus panic moved to a bunch of shithouses with relegation written all over them.
Gus will likely sell for no more than what he was bought for.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Vik was always clear about what be wanted.
Vik chose his move carefully and is playing for good club, in Europe.
Vik will earn us a lot more money in the future.

Gus fucked us about all summer.
Gus panic moved to a bunch of shithouses with relegation written all over them.
Gus will likely sell for no more than what he was bought for.

They were both outstanding players who would improve our team if dropped into it now. Just seems a bit weird. If O’Hare had not got injured you could have thrown all that and worse at him for joining Burnley. That’s transfers. And the only English teams that wanted Vik were bottom 6 pretty much.

TomRad85

They were both outstanding players who would improve our team if dropped into it now. Just seems a bit weird. If O’Hare had not got injured you could have thrown all that and worse at him for joining Burnley. That’s transfers. And the only English teams that wanted Vik were bottom 6 pretty much.
Oh you're on about the he wouldn't get in the team comments... in that case, yes he clearly would. I'm still a bit salty at him though.

fernandopartridge

Do you think that’s because we don’t have Hamer? Make it make sense.
The question was do we miss him, my answer is no. We are objectively doing better without him, we're not at any material loss for not having him.

shmmeee

The question was do we miss him, my answer is no. We are objectively doing better without him, we're not at any material loss for not having him.

But if you put him in the side we’d do even better. We are missing him. Just like we’re missing Vik. That doesn’t mean the team is worse. But I don’t think you could argue putting Gus and Vik into this side would not only improve us but strengthen two of arguably our weakest positions.

Brighton Sky Blue

But if you put him in the side we’d do even better. We are missing him. Just like we’re missing Vik. That doesn’t mean the team is worse. But I don’t think you could argue putting Gus and Vik into this side would not only improve us but strengthen two of arguably our weakest positions.
Vik would strengthen any team in this division and a lot of those in the league above he’s that good.

Evo1883

Can’t say I Agree, like last week Godden absolutely bust his chops off, chasing everything down. Agree the subs could of been earlier though
He never stopped working , and I agree the subs should have been almost immediately after going 2 up

itsabuzzard

It's now pretty obvious that Robins and Viveash were the first to move on after the departure of Gus and Vik. Rather than being obsessed with replacing them, they've built a very different team, and what a team! Who would have bet that after the upheaval of last summer, we would now be sitting in a better position than last season, with more to come. Exciting times - again! He's spoiling us. All hail the Mighty Robins 💪

Mucca Mad Boys

We've scored more, create more, concede less. Obviously some of his capability was brilliant but he had downsides as well.

That’s down to what exactly? Using that logic, we’re a better team with Simms/Godden upfront than Gyokeres. Which I’m sure we can both agree is simply not true.

We’ve changed formation and improved our team across the board. Had we kept Hamer, he’d be the first name on the team sheet and we’d be better team than we are now.

fernandopartridge

Central midfield our weakest position

Users who are viewing this thread