Did robins know they changed formation? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Why did we keep trying the same thing that didn't work? Pearson has done robins there.

Greggs

Bristol went back to their tried and tested formation after Pearson realised his experiment wasn't working. We weren't good enough to score when they literally didn't know what they were doing. Utter, utter dogshit.

pusbccfc

Has Robins changed formation since 2017?

Chris1987

It would be great to see Robins actually change a game with either tactical changes or substitutions

Otis

Weren't posters on here saying Sakamoto was blowing after about 60 mins. That would definitely explain his substitution if that was the case.

procdoc

At 1-0 down you take Dasilva off for Ayari and have Saka left wing back as Dasilva didn't offer much coming forward and I’d have taken one of the holding midfielders for Wright and gone 3-4-3 to try and get a goal

Brighton Sky Blue

At 1-0 down you take Dasilva off for Ayari and have Saka left wing back as Dasilva didn't offer much coming forward and I’d have taken one of the holding midfielders for Wright and gone 3-4-3 to try and get a goal
Too adventurous

Sky Blue Harry H

Frustrating, as evidenced by posts, but we didn't deserve to lose that (but if you don't score, you can lose to anybody) Chill everyone xx

SBT

We got a couple of like for like changes though.
Is this the new CHANGE IT ROBBINGS moan of choice now that Robins actually has options on the bench and makes subs now? That you’d rather we change the formation four or five times a game instead?

CCFC54321

Why did we keep trying the same thing that didn't work? Pearson has done robins there.
More and more are starting to ask the same questions now. I like Robins but he was despite what he says got turned over today and tactically out done.

CV22SBA

Is this the new CHANGE IT ROBBINGS moan of choice now that Robins actually has options on the bench and makes subs now? That you’d rather we change the formation four or five times a game instead?
Who said 4 or 5 times? Just at least have a plan B. The first 25 mins was the best football we’ve played this season and should have been 4 up. THEN Pearson makes a sub in the first half and it becomes a poor second half performance from us.

SBT

Who said 4 or 5 times? Just at least have a plan B. The first 25 mins was the best football we’ve played this season and should have been 4 up. THEN Pearson makes a sub in the first half and it becomes a poor second half performance from us.
Well the moaning about “like for like subs” has been going on for a while now. Presumably those people think the subs don’t really count unless every one involves a formation change?

Balli001

Albeit late on but he did switch to 4 at the back yesterday

Esoterica

Well the moaning about “like for like subs” has been going on for a while now. Presumably those people think the subs don’t really count unless every one involves a formation change?
2nd half, as a direct result of their formation change, Sakamoto was having to drop an extra 10/15 metres into defensive midfield to find the space to receive the ball. Did you feel a straight swap of a very green Ayari for Sakamoto was going to remedy that?

Esoterica

I think 10 or 15 minutes into that 2nd half, you bring Ayari on for one of the strikers, revert to the box midfield and try and regain the control we had lost in the middle. Give it 20 minutes and if it doesn’t make a difference and we’re still chasing the game with 15 to go, you can then throw Wright on for Sakamoto and go back to 2 strikers and try and go a bit more direct.

SBT

Was it not obvious it wasn't working after they changed things?
I’m not just talking about yesterday, I’m talking generally about this new moan that “like for like” subs are inherently bad.

torchomatic

Our changes were baffling. Why take Saka off when chasing a goal

Absolutely, he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Robins has an issue with praising him too. Clive said something in the interview afterwards about Saka playing really well, and Robins said, "they all did". He's done that before this season when asked about him.

Not sure what game he was watching in the second half, but we were abysmal.

stupot07

I’m not just talking about yesterday, I’m talking generally about this new moan that “like for like” subs are inherently bad.
Because quite often his changes are late and we have already lost impetus in the game, the game plan not working, but he just does like for like subs, where we're crying out for an extra man in midfield, or a slight tweak in formation. We've conceded quite a few late goals too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Absolutely, he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Robins has an issue with praising him too. Clive said something in the interview afterwards about Saka playing really well, and Robins said, "they all did". He's done that before this season when asked about him.

Not sure what game he was watching in the second half, but we were abysmal.
Abysmal yet still had multiple gilt edged chances that were either spaffed over the bar or crossed instead.

NorthernWisdom

I think 10 or 15 minutes into that 2nd half, you bring Ayari on for one of the strikers, revert to the box midfield and try and regain the control we had lost in the middle. Give it 20 minutes and if it doesn’t make a difference and we’re still chasing the game with 15 to go, you can then throw Wright on for Sakamoto and go back to 2 strikers and try and go a bit more direct.
Can you imagine if he took a forward off for a midfielder? Some of the critics would be banging on about negative Robins going one up front when behind.

SKYBLUES90

The way we’re playing reminds me of the start of the league 2 season. Side way passes, trying to pass the ball into the net and very little creativity.

It didn’t click until Tom Bayliss came into the team and actually got the ball and ran through the middle. I really hope O hare coming back into the team is the missing peice of the jigsaw.

ProfessorbyGrace

The way we’re playing reminds me of the start of the league 2 season. Side way passes, trying to pass the ball into the net and very little creativity.

It didn’t click until Tom Bayliss came into the team and actually got the ball and ran through the middle. I really hope O hare coming back into the team is the missing peice of the jigsaw.
It’s all very predictable, isn’t it - without having that energetic link between midfield and attack IE COH, Allen (and obviously a DMF who can orchestrate) we are completely toothless.

Then other factors like team cohesion, defenders switching off, wing backs not getting decent crosses in, it makes me wonder how MR sees the whole game panning out if he doesn’t switch the formation and adapt, or try something different. If it doesn’t work, fair enough, but this stubborn refusal to make a tactical change is bordering on superstitious.

SBAndy

Can you imagine if he took a forward off for a midfielder? Some of the critics would be banging on about negative Robins going one up front when behind.

But his job is to make the difficult decisions. Shouldn’t give a toss about criticism - the basis of a 1-up-top system being inherently defensive is bollocks.

My fear is we’ve backed ourselves into a corner of playing 2 up top having spent half the summer budget on 2 strikers. Hindsight and all that, but Yates instead of Wright would have made far more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread