Derek Chauvin Trial (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

What do you think?

He will probably be found guilty of manslaughter (don't know what the term is over there ) partly due to the fact that Floyd had deadly levels of drugs in his system already and partly because chauvin has to be proved to have purposely killed him

Was it the knee , was it the drugs or a combination of both

It's a tough one too in todays climate for any judge and jury
Either way , if its not a murder verdict and a life sentence I expect unrest on the streets again .

Last edited:

Ccfcisparks

What do you think?

He will probably be found guilty of manslaughter (don't know what the term is over there ) partly due to the fact that Floyd had deadly levels of drugs in his system already and partly because chauvin has to be proved to have purposely killed him

Was it the knee , was it the drugs or a combination of both

It's a tough one too in todays climate for any judge and jury
Either way , if its not a murder verdict and a life sentence I expect unrest on the streets again .
Really not sure because I think you are right there will be unrest regardless of the outcome.

skyblue1991

Manslaughter/culpable homicide

It does make you wonder how much the worldwide BLM protests have an affect on the judge and jury subconsciously. Also if the judge is carefully selected (i.e. a black judge) as if the judge was white it may cause more half than good unfortunately, it shouldn't matter though.

Either way I expect more protests, definitely unrest and riots if its not a murder verdict

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

mrtrench

There have been two autopsies, both showing homicide as the cause of death.

On the other hand, I can't see how they can prove it was premeditated: has to be manslaughter.

Riots; broken windows; fires and looting almost certain I would expect no matter what happens.

shmmeee

What’s the bar for premeditation in murder? It is just intention at any point? If so I can’t see how kneeling non someone’s neck isn’t murder, you must have known you were killing them.

mrtrench

What’s the bar for premeditation in murder? It is just intention at any point? If so I can’t see how kneeling non someone’s neck isn’t murder, you must have known you were killing them.

Any lawyers on the site?

It cannot be at any point, otherwise there would be no manslaughter at all. I suspect his case will be that it was unintended at all stages: reckless but not bad. Isn't there something called 'Accidental Homicide' in US Law?

However the US system is more political than ours, I believe, so I doubt he'll get the verdict on that.

chiefdave

Obviously don't know the ins and outs of the US legal system but given its all on video its hard to see how a not-guilty verdict would be possible.
In the recording, Floyd can be heard saying 20 times that he could not breathe and 10 times that he was dying.

He repeatedly called out for his dead mother. Blackwell said that the dying man can also he heard to say “Tell my kids I love them” and “I’ll probably die this way. I’m through, I’m through. They’re going to kill me.”

Blackwell said that Floyd was no longer breathing for the last minute that Chauvin was kneeling on his neck.
It cannot be at any point, otherwise there would be no manslaughter at all. I suspect his case will be that it was unintended at all stages: reckless but not bad. However the US system is more political than ours, I believe, so I doubt he'll get the verdict on that.
He's been charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder. Quirk of the US legal system means if he was charged with 2nd and the jury through it was only 3rd he would be not-guilty unless also being tried for the 3rd degree charge. His lawyers tried to have 3rd degree dropped but it was reinstated.

Found this definition for 2nd degree in Minneapolis.
Whoever causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years.
And this for 3rd degree murder.
Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.
Is his police record admissible? 18 misconduct complaints on file, seems a lot to me. Would that be an expected amount.

Last edited:

mrtrench

Obviously don't know the ins and outs of the US legal system but given its all on video its hard to see how a not-guilty verdict would be possible.

He's been charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder. Quirk of the US legal system means if he was charged with 2nd and the jury through it was only 3rd he would be not-guilty unless also being tried for the 3rd degree charge. His lawyers tried to have 3rd degree dropped but it was reinstated.

Found this definition for 2nd degree in Minneapolis.

And this for 3rd degree murder.

Is his police record admissible? 18 misconduct complaints on file, seems a lot to me. Would that be an expected amount.

Good work. Sounds like 3rd degree to me.

RegTheDonk

I think he'll be found guilty of their equivalent of manslaughter and police restraint training will hopefully change to ensure this can't be used as an excuse.

oakey

If he didn't 'intend' to kill him why did he remain kneeling on his neck long after he was clearly dying?
There is no doubt the man is dying and no reasonable person can deny that.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Interesting that the 911 call handler who was watching live via video link was so alarmed, they notified their superior whilst it was happening.

i didn't know that before.

Are any of the other coppers present at the scene facing any charges?

rob9872

Fk me they're dragging this out. Makes a change from the ESL breakaway league but Sky know how to whip up emotions with over dramatisation.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not surprised personally. Whatever you thought of Floyd, a policeman shouldn't behave like that, ever.

Sentencing in 8 weeks time, I just hope the loonies smashing up cities don't do it again. Police reform in the states also needed on the back of this.

Users who are viewing this thread