Derby points deduction (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

I've heard that the highest bidder is Mike Ashley, who's only offering 15p in the £1 to non protected creditors. The EFL want a minimum of 25p in the £1.
The other bidders for the club do not offer enough money.
A 15 point deduction for next season beckons.

Derby fans already hating carpetbagger Ashley before he starts. Thick skinned bloke, or what?

The Philosopher

I don’t like the way that some of these clubs carry on particularly the way HMRC always seems to get shortchanged.

I hate paying tax as much as the next person but when clubs don’t pay their share then the average Joe proportionally has to find the share to pay for public services, else public services suffer.

Don’t get me on how St John’s Ambulance and other creditors get stiffed.

15p/£? Derby owed HMRC £28m. £28m? Scandalous.

The bottom line is it is unfair.

I’m not sure if the new rules class HMRC debt as football debt but IMO it should be. Perhaps all PAYE and NI for football contracts should be paid up front on signing a player, that’ll stop crazy situations where £28m gets accrued. VAT on ticket sales paid over at source and TV rights paid net of VAT or even players treated how subcontractors used to get paid.

Too often is the taxpayer (us) treated like a soft bank for foreign investors; have a gamble hoping for promotion, if it goes wrong then it’s bad but it’s creditors from HMRC to turnstile painters who really suffer.

I haven’t thought out the exactments of how it should / could work but it is so frustrating that time and again club owners mount up huge tax debt and end up just getting points deductions.

I don’t also like the way that Bury was treated and expelled when other clubs with bigger names seem to get away with doing the same thing.

Anyway, grumble over.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Never got the hatred for Mike Ashley, werent Newcastle in tons of debt when he took over?

he’s a business man, but he never let Newcastle stay out of the premier league for long.

always thought Newcastle fans have got delusions of grandeur. Definition of an entitled club

I wouldn't go as far as to say they had delusions of grandeur as there was plenty of merit to their hatred. Twice relegated under his stewardship, 8 year contract given to Pardew, refusing to sell when it was probably the right time to go, renaming of St James' park upon the promise of increased investment which didn't really happen, poor treatment of managers etc. Financially without a doubt he ran them well, but if you look at the decisions made under his stewardship, the majority were terrible.

I did actually think the view that Ashley didn't permit ANY investment into the playing squad was just pushing a narrative a bit though. Granted some seasons were probably inexcusably quiet and he could've invested more but if you look over the past 5 years they've actually spent over £250m on players (not including the most recent window) - which puts them around mid-tableish in terms of transfer spend under Ashley's reign. Equally he spent big when they were last relegated as well.

slowpoke

He knows the premier league is the only league to be in if he takes over at Derby even a relegated Derby on minus 15 points I don’t think it will be long before they are challenging at the top end of the championship.

Frostie

Seems like their administrator is playing hardball and wanted £50m for Derby (incl stadium)
Our administrator was a push over iirc

Of course it's Mel Morris that now owns the stadium & wants £20m for that alone not to mention it's his appointed administrator of course.

Wasn't so long ago that many were still desperate to blame Steve Gibson & said as soon as his claim was settled it was a done deal...

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Seems like their administrator is playing hardball and wanted £50m for Derby (incl stadium)
Our administrator was a push over iirc
It’s not hardball I’m pretty sure majority of their football debts are around 20odd mil and they have to secure at least 15p in the £ for each unsecured creditor.

on top of that they need to pay 20 mil for the stadium

Grendel

Buyer accepted by the administrators it’s been suggested today

Danceswithhorses

Buyer accepted by the administrators it’s been suggested today
'Quality' owner...agreed a deal with Preston, then pulled out last minute, before offering less than the previously agreed bid...and they quite rightly told him to do one.
After that setback, rocks back up at Derby and named preferred bidder....deletes twitch account to remove historical sexist and homophobic remarks.
This can only go well for Derby (not)

Last edited:

Frostie

'Quality' owner...agreed a deal with Preston, then pulled out last minute, before offering less than agreed bid...and they told him to do one.
After that setback, rocks back up at Derby and named preferred bidder....deletes twitch account to remove historical sexist and homophobic remarks.
This can only go well for Derby (not)

Interesting to see how he negotiates the stadium deal with Mel Morris after publicly calling him a "fuck job" 🤣

Those historic Tweets are appalling but won't stop him buying the club, football has no morals.

Johnnythespider

He knows the premier league is the only league to be in if he takes over at Derby even a relegated Derby on minus 15 points I don’t think it will be long before they are challenging at the top end of the championship.
Sunderland ??

Danceswithhorses

Be interesting when their 15 point deduction gets applied
Seems like the league are edging towards giving them -15 points this season...which is a travesty, as they are already as good as down.
Should definitely be next season, otherwise it's not a punishment at all.
I'm sorry, but the league cant 'feel sorry' for Derby and dock them points this season...there should be no sentiment, and rules should be stuck to.

slyblue57

Seems like the league are edging towards giving them -15 points this season...which is a travesty, as they are already as good as down.
Should definitely be next season, otherwise it's not a punishment at all.
I'm sorry, but the league cant 'feel sorry' for Derby and dock them points this season...there should be no sentiment, and rules should be stuck to.
EFL sticking to rules lol, I think the EFL have different rules for different teams

slowpoke

If it had been dealt with properly they would have been punished last season.
That’s where Derby have slipped up should have taken the hit last season gone down and re-grouped, they are a decent team and in my opinion would have finished at least in the play-offs of league one.

Terry Gibson's perm

That’s where Derby have slipped up should have taken the hit last season gone down and re-grouped, they are a decent team and in my opinion would have finished at least in the play-offs of league one.

I would hope so with a 30k per week midfielder, they definitely can’t be in the ever expanding bottom six payers in this league.

Frostie

I would hope so with a 30k per week midfielder, they definitely can’t be in the ever expanding bottom six payers in this league.

And another on c.£25k per week who should have cost them a £10m transfer fee but they still owe £8m for him & have failed to pay the agreed installments.

It's Wayne Rooney's Derby though.

Not for much longer I wouldn't think.

Terry Gibson's perm

And another on c.£25k per week who should have cost them a £10m transfer fee but they still owe £8m for him & have failed to pay the agreed installments.

Not for much longer I wouldn't think.

I guess they have to pay that money to Arsenal now

Danceswithhorses

There is plenty of talk that this new owner doesn't have big resources, and this whole scenario could happen again in 12 months time.
He may have made the most generous bid for Derby, but he certainly seems to have the least deep pockets.

shepardo01

I guess they have to pay that money to Arsenal now
They won't... whatever might be agreed "in the pound" by administrators...
They might have to pay a million or so, and will be deducted the 15 points fir coming out of admin but not fully paying creditors. Can't see the new guy agreeing to pay all debts in full...
Hope they get the -15 next season, but still go down this season....

Terry Gibson's perm

They won't... whatever might be agreed "in the pound" by administrators...
They might have to pay a million or so, and will be deducted the 15 points fir coming out of admin but not fully paying creditors. Can't see the new guy agreeing to pay all debts in full...
Hope they get the -15 next season, but still go down this season....

I thought football creditors are different maybe it’s changed.

Frostie

Yeah....could be wrong, think the controversy is that football creditors have to be paid first.... not sure if full or not though.....

Yeah, football creditors have to be paid in full. Imagine if Derby owed millions to a lower league club & didn't pay it all, they might end up in administration too.

Derby have been incredibly fortunate that Arsenal don't need the money really, they've willingly deferred payments.

Users who are viewing this thread