Depth (1 Viewer)

Tea & Busquets

Joint lowest first team squad size in the league. Doesn’t help that we’re not giving many youngsters chances. Curious how Robins will fix this.

Hobo

Well he obviously wanted a couple more. Only time will tell and injuries if and when we get them will dictate.

Although we are a couple down on last year I think there is more flexibility and options within the current squad.

Last year we were blighted not just with injuries but most of them involved lengthy recovery times.

I think what slowed recruitment this summer is we were focused on permanent deal rather than than the quick fix season long loan. Which should put us in a better place next summer.

slowpoke

It is a bit of fingers crossed on injuries, as said above we had a lot of long term injuries at the same time which didn’t help.
Difference this season come January Robins will be able to bring players in loan or permanent if needed, last January he wasn’t allowed , just Maguire wasn’t it ?

SBT

Our depth up front seems like the biggest problem. I doubt we can maintain a two-striker system with Wright, Simms, Godden and Tavares, considering the injury records of the latter two. We seem to be inviting a change to a lone striker formation, which seems a waste when you’ve invested so much in getting Wright and Simms to play together.

shmmeee

Our depth up front seems like the biggest problem. I doubt we can maintain a two-striker system with Wright, Simms, Godden and Tavares, considering the injury records of the latter two. We seem to be inviting a change to a lone striker formation, which seems a waste when you’ve invested so much in getting Wright and Simms to play together.

Eh?

If wright and/or Simms are injured in your scenario why is it a waste any more than if we had a fourth striker?

Well just got to the box like normal.

SBT

Eh?

If wright and/or Simms are injured in your scenario why is it a waste any more than if we had a fourth striker?

Well just got to the box like normal.
Well it’s a waste if we have to spend time and energy working on a different system just because we don’t have a fourth striker capable of slotting into the system we’ve spent all summer (and >£10 million in new forwards) on shifting to.

Even without injuries, it’s asking a lot to rebuild the formation around two expensive new strikers and then only have one real option to rotate in and out.

shmmeee

Well it’s a waste if we have to spend time and energy working on a different system just because we don’t have a fourth striker capable of slotting into the system we’ve spent all summer (and >£10 million in new forwards) on shifting to.

Even without injuries, it’s asking a lot to rebuild the formation around two expensive new strikers and then only have one real option to rotate in and out.

We’ve switched between 3412 and 3421 quite a lot over the last few years. I’m not sure it would be a massive imposition. Of course if we lost two of our top three strikers it wouldn’t be ideal, but I’m not sure what area of the pitch that doesn’t apply to.

SBT

We’ve switched between 3412 and 3421 quite a lot over the last few years. I’m not sure it would be a massive imposition. Of course if we lost two of our top three strikers it wouldn’t be ideal, but I’m not sure what area of the pitch that doesn’t apply to.
Well we’d only need one of our three strikers to get injured, and then you’re making it very hard to play 90 minutes every week with two up front.

Assuming that playing with two strikers is our best formation, that’s a problem. And if playing with one striker turns out to be our best formation, that’s a different kind of problem.

shmmeee

Well we’d only need one of our three strikers to get injured, and then you’re making it very hard to play 90 minutes every week with two up front.

Assuming that playing with two strikers is our best formation, that’s a problem. And if playing with one striker turns out to be our best formation, that’s a different kind of problem.

Why? Players all over the pitch play 90 mins. It’s not ideal but Vik pretty much did it the whole season last year.

SBT

Why? Players all over the pitch play 90 mins. It’s not ideal but Vik pretty much did it the whole season last year.
Vik was unusually resilient and you’re asking two different players to repeat the trick - it’s definitely not ideal.

Samo

Telegraph reporting that our squad is 22.
But they have missed Kitching off the list which makes 23 by my reckoning.

shmmeee

Vik was unusually resilient and you’re asking two different players to repeat the trick - it’s definitely not ideal.

Sure but I’d be more worried about losing a CM or a WB, even an AM right now. Imagine relying on Eccles and Kelly in the middle for an extended period.

skybluecam

As others have said, last year our depth was the likes of Waghorn, Kane and Walker. If it gets to that point we'd probably do as well to run down the local park and hand out a few short term contracts.

Brylowes

As many have already pointed out, the quality we now have on the bench is something we haven’t seen at City for many many years, remember ‘we used to think Robins was averse to changing things due to his reluctance to use his substitutes, he’s showing no such reluctance so far this season.
In fact I think the 3 changes he made in one go at Leicester probably cost us a point.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Joint lowest first team squad size in the league. Doesn’t help that we’re not giving many youngsters chances. Curious how Robins will fix this.
Is that the entire football league or our current league ?

slowpoke

A number of our squad are okay in different positions so it’s fingers crossed we don’t get an extensive injury list, we can add more January.
They will get their chance when they show they are good enough.

Greggs

Great to see we've finally got a massive squad and that the subs we make really change the game.........

Users who are viewing this thread