Delays in enabling Coventry City to exit administration putting off Chinese investor (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Warwickshire businessman Michael Byng claims Ricoh Arena delays in enabling Coventry City to exit administration are preventing possible Chinese investment in the club and Ricoh Arena.He spoke out after yesterday’s Coventry City Football Club Limited creditors’ meeting ended in another adjournment until Friday - on the request of part-council owned Arena Coventry Limited (ACL).

Mr Byng believes the best hope of the stadium and club being united and sustainable - with new investment - rests in ACL signing a Creditor Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), which would end the “messy” administration and enable the club’s assets to be united in one company.
He said: “Chinese investors remain interested and have been in position for some months.

“But they are confused by the approach adopted by Coventry City Football Club’s owners and Coventry City Council to resolving the club’s problems.
“It seems clear the Ricoh Arena can only survive and prosper with a financially healthy football club, and potential investors are at a loss to understand how continued adjournments can help the situation in any way.
“What’s very unclear is what the Football League’s attitude will be over participation in the League this season and whether there will be further sanctions which further damage the image of the club.
“An adjournment until Friday just before the start of the new season suggests a motive.”
ACL claims it is a sustainable business with or without a football club. But the last ACL accounts 2011/12 recorded a £1million profit at a time when the club paid full £1.3million rent.
Administrator Paul Appleton has said if there is no agreement among creditors including ACL for CCFC Ltd to exit administration via a CVA, the company will be liquidated.
Liquidation could result in a further15-point League deduction hitting Coventry City’s Division One campaign.
The club wants the CVA to be signed to prevent liquidation, and because it cannot sign players while it continues in administration. It must also file it late accounts for 2011/12 for the transfer embargo to be lifted.

As the Telegraph revealed yesterday, ACL is seeking conditions to be attached to the CVA.
They include that the Sky Blues owners Sisu/Otium must sign a new ten-year rent agreement to play at the Ricoh - rather than going ahead with Football League-backed plans to play ‘home’ matches at Northampton Town for up to five years while a new stadium is built in the Coventry area.
The offer would dramatically reduce annual rent payments to £150,000-a-year in Divison One, and would be dependent on Sisu companies scrapping a Judicial Review application to the High Court.

It claims Coventry City Council acted unlawfully in January’s £14million taxpayer deal to buy out ACL’s mortgage debt.
Crucially, ACL’s offer ahead of Friday contains no offer for Sisu/Otium to buy any shares in the stadium, or to retain more matchday revenues such as from food and drink sales - which the club has long-sought.

It has led many fans on social media to conclude yesterday’s ACL offer is a non-starter.
Many believe it offers no possibility of agreement by Friday, regardless of whether parties including council leader Ann Lucas and Sisu boss Joy Seppala hold last-ditch talks.

If the outcome is liquidation, football insolvency expert Alan Limb of BRI (Business, Recovery and Insolvency), who is also a Sky Blues fan, believes Sisu company Otium remain favourites to emerge as the club’s owners.
He said: “If the Football League was minded to transfer the golden share (the right to play in the League) to another company and not Otium, you would think they would have said so by now.
“Paul Appleton is also an officer of the court with a legal duty to creditors. He says he has already sold the assets in Coventry City Football Club Limited to Otium.
“As things stand, it seems likely Coventry City will be playing their home matches at Northampton Town this season. I will be happy to be proved wrong.”
As we reported yesterday, ACL on Monday lodged High Court action against Northampton Town, accusing them of inducing Coventry City’s purported owners to breach a 40-year-old licence and lease to play at the Ricoh Arena.

ACL is claiming damages for breach of contract. Cobblers chairman David Cardoza argues the claim is “without legal merit”.
ACL was earlier last month considering calling on Mr Appleton to re-open the sales process of CCFC Ltd in favour of one of the other three final bidders, who lost out to Otium’s £1.5million bid.
One potential investor in Coventry City, who did not want to be named, told the Telegraph they were put off bidding once they realised there were only minor, non-material assets in CCFC Ltd.
They said the sales process was stacked in favour of Sisu related companies which constituted the majority of creditors.
Mr Byng also pulled out of the final bidding process, claiming his potential Chinese investors had been put off by the “messy” situation of having to bid for the one Sky Blues company in administration, and then having to bid to buy out Sisu - while Sky Blues boss Tim Fisher was insisting the club was not for sale.
The other final bidders for CCFC Ltd included US property investor Preston Haskell 1V, backed by former Sky Blues directors Joe Elliott and Gary Hoffman.
The identify of the two other bids have been a mystery.
The Telegraph understands they may have included an American consortium, and a bid which in some way involved former Sky Blues player Kirk Stephens.
The Telegraph has been unable to substantiate the rumour, or confirm that US investor Jeremy Schwimmer may have been among a bidding consortium.
Mr Byng claims to have potentially attracted Chinese and Asian investors into bidding for a 100per cent buyout of ACL - jointly owned by the council and Alan Edward Higgs Charity - if they could later also buy in to the football club.

He says they are predominantly interested in investing in the West Midlands rail network in advance of High Speed Rail, which would include the planned Nuckle rail line stopping at a new Ricoh station.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Byng

just read this in the CT

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-delays-enabling-5389711

Isnt this the guy who made up all sorts of excuses about not bidding but it turned out he sent the fax to the wrong place at the wrong time. Not exactly sure what it is he brings to the table at the moment. What importance does he have to the current situation? Initial reaction is he is a self publicist but I could be wrong.

Surely if you wanted to buy the Ricoh you would not be doing it through the press ?(that applies to any bidder). That said would it not be an idea to see if it were actually for sale right now? The train station is being built without him so how is he going to be involved in that? What discussions has he had with ACL & stakeholders I wonder? Were they well received or not?

Sorry if that comes over as a bit sceptical ........ but I am

Nick

Administrator
Isn't he the same fella who said they had put in a bid via email but musn't have got through and then turned round and said they hadn't bid after all?

Noggin

His talk brought so much excitement and promise, he told us all he'd bid but it had gotten lost in the e-mail ether, then afterwards it turned out he'd not bid. How can we take anything he says seriously anymore?

torchomatic

RoboCCFC90

I was never sure of the Byng/Chinese interest and has to be said I am still not now.

Sub

bullshit.png

Noggin

SISU have told us they arn't willing to sell and that they won't sell at the low point we were at. I'd suggest we've fallen significantly further since then.

T

true sky blue

think the telegraph are being a bit naughty. using the prefix 'cannot confirm' is definite legal jargon for we'll just put it out there. im still surprised about the otium bid being the highest!!

skybluesam66

think the telegraph are being a bit naughty. using the prefix 'cannot confirm' is definite legal jargon for we'll just put it out there. im still surprised about the otium bid being the highest!!

why is it surprising - as most of the proceeds whoever won were going back to the sisu group - Otium could afford to bid high, as they were in effect paying themselves

covcity4life

just read this in the CT

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-delays-enabling-5389711

Isnt this the guy who made up all sorts of excuses about not bidding but it turned out he sent the fax to the wrong place at the wrong time. Not exactly sure what it is he brings to the table at the moment. What importance does he have to the current situation? Initial reaction is he is a self publicist but I could be wrong.

Surely if you wanted to buy the Ricoh you would not be doing it through the press ?(that applies to any bidder). That said would it not be an idea to see if it were actually for sale right now? The train station is being built without him so how is he going to be involved in that? What discussions has he had with ACL & stakeholders I wonder? Were they well received or not?

Sorry if that comes over as a bit sceptical ........ but I am

its ok,to be expected osb, he did dare to diss the council/acl after all.

chiefdave

Once everything is all together in one place, any offers flying around can be made.
At the moment they have only been offered the part of the club with no players and perhaps the Ricoh.

Everything was in the same place before we went into administration, why didn't he bid then?

It's really not complicated and if he can't understand it (which is possible seeing as he can't manage to send an email) then he's not really a prime candidate for taking over.

All the companies (Ltd, Holdings, Otium etc) are under SISU and would have to be purchased from them. The stadium is under ACL (council & Higgs) and either the lease would be continued or an offer would have to be made to buy them out. Being in admin or the status of the CVA doesn't really change that a whole lot.

NorthernWisdom

It's really not complicated and if he can't understand it (which is possible seeing as he can't manage to send an email) then he's not really a prime candidate for taking over.

Quite.

I had hopes to begin with, but the three multinational corporations (why have one when you can have three?) smacked a bit of Dhinsa's multiple oligarchs.

Still, perhaps he's still on dialup and the email's only finished sending now.

Oh, the one thing I could say in his defence is if the council don't have a mind to sell the Ricoh, or their part of it at least, better to use SISU as stalking horse to focuss their minds about maybe doing so, than do the work yourself.

duffer

Everything was in the same place before we went into administration, why didn't he bid then?

All the companies (Ltd, Holdings, Otium etc) are under SISU and would have to be purchased from them. The stadium is under ACL (council & Higgs) and either the lease would be continued or an offer would have to be made to buy them out. Being in admin or the status of the CVA doesn't really change that a whole lot.

Spot on. This looks a lot like someone who wants to get their name in the papers rather than offer anything useful. The mis-handling of the bid process doesn't provide any great confidence in his competence I'm afraid - happy to be proved wrong, but I'm not holding out much hope for this one now.

His talk brought so much excitement and promise, he told us all he'd bid but it had gotten lost in the e-mail ether, then afterwards it turned out he'd not bid. How can we take anything he says seriously anymore?

:mad: I hate this Americanisation of the language - there is no such word as gotten!!! :mad:

hill83

:mad: I hate this Americanisation of the language - there is no such word as gotten!!! :mad:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gotten

past participle of get

As past participles of get, got and gotten both date back to Middle English. The form gotten is not used in British English but is very common in North American English, though even there it is often regarded as non-standard. In North American English, got and gotten are not identical in use. Gotten usually implies the process of obtaining something, as in he had gotten us tickets for the show, while got implies the state of possession or ownership, as in I haven’t got any money.

M&B Stand

If I was a potential investor I'd be put off by the fact the club receives non of the matchday revenue it creates.

Noggin

All the nasty foul mouthed abuse towards one another on this forum, all the terrible things happening to ccfc and I now realize the one thing that produces 2 angry emotions from you is my use of gotten. Color me amazed I apologize for my behavior. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread